Bolton's Remaining Games

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Bolton's Remaining Games

by cmonurz » 14 Apr 2008 14:55

Norfolk Royal Relax chaps.

I've just done some sums and basically, irrespective of our other results, if we beat Derby away on the last day, we stay up.

How? We don’t play Birmingham or Bolton, and they don’t play each other. So we may need more than 3 points to stay up.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 14 Apr 2008 14:56

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal Another key thing for Bolton is that they have Kevin Davies missing for their next two matches. He is crucial to their style of play and are likely to struggle in an attacking sense without him.

We on the other hand could be missing all our strikers and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference.

:lol:

what are u laughing at AP?

the reaosn our strikers are so bad apparently and can't score is coz of lack of service from a one-paced one-dimensional midfield and fullbacks that don't know the meaning of the word attack

if torres and ronaldo were up front for Reading they'd struggle and wouldn't have many mroe goals than our strikers at the moment

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Apr 2008 15:00

Gus the teenage cow
Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal Another key thing for Bolton is that they have Kevin Davies missing for their next two matches. He is crucial to their style of play and are likely to struggle in an attacking sense without him.

We on the other hand could be missing all our strikers and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference.

what are u laughing at AP?

the reaosn our strikers are so bad apparently and can't score is coz of lack of service from a one-paced one-dimensional midfield and fullbacks that don't know the meaning of the word attack

if torres and ronaldo were up front for Reading they'd struggle and wouldn't have many mroe goals than our strikers at the moment

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Apr 2008 15:09

Wycombe Royal

Naughty!

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 14 Apr 2008 15:16

Gordons Cumming
Wycombe Royal

Naughty!

We should field anyone but our strikers as strikers and I am sure the goals will come in. Otherwise we could bring one back from Charlton...

...now you see, that is another joke. Why give Lita to Charlton who stand every chance of coming back up. Assuming (and this is a big if of heroic proportions), do we want to assist a better club then us with a chance to get into the same league as us via play offs?

I mean the best we can hope for is if we stay up by some miracle on Royal Way, that the three teams that come up are worse then us. However that being said, it'll be another excuse for the Balding Guy and the Emperor not to spend as they will believe that "we have enough" to stay in the Premiership another year.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Apr 2008 15:17

cmonurz
Norfolk Royal Relax chaps.

I've just done some sums and basically, irrespective of our other results, if we beat Derby away on the last day, we stay up.

How? We don’t play Birmingham or Bolton, and they don’t play each other. So we may need more than 3 points to stay up.

Actually I got it wrong. I thought Birmingham were two points behind us.

We're actually down on goal difference now by my calculation.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 14 Apr 2008 15:20

more chance of a win with none of them! :lol:

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 14 Apr 2008 15:21

Don't ignore Birmingham. If they lose to Villa and away to Fulham, they'll be deep in it too.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 14 Apr 2008 15:21

Thou Voice
Gordons Cumming
Wycombe Royal

Naughty!

We should field anyone but our strikers as strikers and I am sure the goals will come in. Otherwise we could bring one back from Charlton...

...now you see, that is another joke. Why give Lita to Charlton who stand every chance of coming back up. Assuming (and this is a big if of heroic proportions), do we want to assist a better club then us with a chance to get into the same league as us via play offs?

I mean the best we can hope for is if we stay up by some miracle on Royal Way, that the three teams that come up are worse then us. However that being said, it'll be another excuse for the Balding Guy and the Emperor not to spend as they will believe that "we have enough" to stay in the Premiership another year.

I think after this season's scare, the balding guy and the emperor will have no choice but to spend....the fans will simply nto accept another period of close-seaon inertia and won't reinvest in season tickets unless we sign a few hollywood names

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Apr 2008 15:26

Would anyone find it midly amusing if Bolton and Fulham stayed up and Reading and Birmingham went down. No ? Ok, sorry....carry on.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 14 Apr 2008 15:27

I mean the best we can hope for is if we stay up by some miracle on Royal Way, that the three teams that come up are worse then us. However that being said, it'll be another excuse for the Balding Guy and the Emperor not to spend as they will believe that "we have enough" to stay in the Premiership another year.[/quote]

I think after this season's scare, the balding guy and the emperor will have no choice but to spend....the fans will simply nto accept another period of close-seaon inertia and won't reinvest in season tickets unless we sign a few hollywood names[/quote]

Ah, see I thought that, but we will have to make a decision on season ticket renewal BEFORE all the proven players are signed, so unfortunately for JM and his bank balance, I think quite a few of people I have spoken to have made their decision based on the 4 transfer windows previously.

I will bet my last pound that Coppell will use this quote at some point "The transfer window is always quiet during the start of the summer, as players are involved in the Euro Championships, and are not thinking about club moves".

Oh OK, so that's stumped our plans to bring in the best of the best.... bless him !

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 14 Apr 2008 15:28

Draw at Wigan and beat Derby and that can also drag Wigan back into the mix:

Chelsea (a)
Spurs (h)
Reading (h)
Villa (a)
Man U (h)

Not inconceivable, but we'd need to do a Fulham and seriously bounce back from a near fatal home defeat!

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 14 Apr 2008 15:31

rfc58 I mean the best we can hope for is if we stay up by some miracle on Royal Way, that the three teams that come up are worse then us. However that being said, it'll be another excuse for the Balding Guy and the Emperor not to spend as they will believe that "we have enough" to stay in the Premiership another year.

I think after this season's scare, the balding guy and the emperor will have no choice but to spend....the fans will simply nto accept another period of close-seaon inertia and won't reinvest in season tickets unless we sign a few hollywood names[/quote]

Ah, see I thought that, but we will have to make a decision on season ticket renewal BEFORE all the proven players are signed, so unfortunately for JM and his bank balance, I think quite a few of people I have spoken to have made their decision based on the 4 transfer windows previously.

I will bet my last pound that Coppell will use this quote at some point "The transfer window is always quiet during the start of the summer, as players are involved in the Euro Championships, and are not thinking about club moves".

Oh OK, so that's stumped our plans to bring in the best of the best.... bless him ![/quote]

good point they'll trot out the same old excuses then buy someone we've never heard of for 500k a week before the window closes

i wonder will it make any difference to our transfer policy if we stay in premier league or go down as we only ever seem to attract low maintenance players anyway

we have never had a glamour signing, never and this after 2 full years in the league
Last edited by Gus the teenage cow on 14 Apr 2008 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Apr 2008 15:35

Thou Voice

..now you see, that is another joke. Why give Lita to Charlton who stand every chance of coming back up. Assuming (and this is a big if of heroic proportions), do we want to assist a better club then us with a chance to get into the same league as us via play offs?

Now I know you're taking the piss.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Apr 2008 15:37

Gus the teenage cow
rfc58 I mean the best we can hope for is if we stay up by some miracle on Royal Way, that the three teams that come up are worse then us. However that being said, it'll be another excuse for the Balding Guy and the Emperor not to spend as they will believe that "we have enough" to stay in the Premiership another year.

I think after this season's scare, the balding guy and the emperor will have no choice but to spend....the fans will simply nto accept another period of close-seaon inertia and won't reinvest in season tickets unless we sign a few hollywood names

Oh OK, so that's stumped our plans to bring in the best of the best.... bless him ![/quote]

good point they'll trot out the same old excuses then buy someone we've never heard of for 500k a week before the window closes

i wonder will it many any difference to our ctransfer policy if we stay in premier league or go down as only ever seem to attract low maintenance players anyway

we have never had a glamour signing, never and this after 2 full years in the league[/quote]

You clearly don't recall the euphoric celebrations and street parties when we signed Roger Joslyn then?

rfc58

by rfc58 » 14 Apr 2008 15:39

Gus - The club are at a cross roads, assuming we survive.

Left goes to no-where'sville - by signing the Fae/Kebe's of this world. Players who for whatever reason aren't really adding loads to the first 11, although that might be a tad harsh on Fae, as I doubt anyone outside of the club can really comment on the lad, as he has never been given a chance. BUT someone at the club is responsible, as they said we'd been watching him for quite some time !

Right goes to building on what we have already achieved - BUT that means going for established PREM players, not the "ones for the future" , but that comes at a price, but slipping back into the Fizzy pop league comes at a price.

I hope the club take the RIGHT decision, but I am not so confident they will.

This squad needs more than just the odd signing, as the Matejovski signing has proven, he looks class, but one man can't make up for the rest.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 14 Apr 2008 15:43

I think as a club we overestimate solvency

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 14 Apr 2008 16:41

Gus the teenage cow I think as a club we overestimate solvency

Are you suggesting we replicate Portsmouth? They've just announced (I believe) a £24m loss - which is clearly nearly as much as their total Sky money for the year. If we spend the sort of money they have over 2-3 seasons, we might get into Europe, we might get to the FA Cup final, and we WILL pay the price 'A la Leeds/ Sheff Weds/ Leicester/ Coventry etc' very soon afterwards.

Sure, we need to invest, but don't underestimate insolvency. It would hurt as longer and harder.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 14 Apr 2008 16:46

Leamington Royal

Are you suggesting we replicate Portsmouth? They've just announced (I believe) a £24m loss - which is clearly nearly as much as their total Sky money for the year. If we spend the sort of money they have over 2-3 seasons, we might get into Europe, we might get to the FA Cup final, and we WILL pay the price 'A la Leeds/ Sheff Weds/ Leicester/ Coventry etc' very soon afterwards.

Sure, we need to invest, but don't underestimate insolvency. It would hurt as longer and harder.

call me an irresponsible bollox but i prefer good results on the pitch to good results on the balance sheet

rfc58

by rfc58 » 14 Apr 2008 16:49

Leamington Royal

But we don't need to go the whole hog like Pompey.

However, they stayed up by the skin of their todger the year we went up, and decided to make sure they weren't in that position again. So some could argue spending fortunes is plain stupid, others could argue that spending very little but losing the Premiership riches is also dumb.