Fascinating - Pick your favourite stat from this lot

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Fascinating - Pick your favourite stat from this lot

by ElmParker » 25 Apr 2008 13:39

Vision
Royal Rother
dobcheck I would just like to concur with the Craig Maskell was rubbish comments , was he a club record signing at one time?

I think he was - £800k IIRC. :shock:

I doubt it very much. 250k tops.

I always used to have a bee in my bonnet with Reading fans and "record signings". The moment we signed someone it seemed to be the cue for fans to expect Cruyff,Pele and Puskas all rolled into one. If they didn't score a hat trick in their first couple of games then they were instantly dubbed a failiure. I always thought Maskell was a decent enough player, didn't quite work out for him with us but there were much much worse before and after.

Agreed. I thought he was one of the best two or three players in an otherwise pretty dreadful team.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Apr 2008 13:39

Vision
Royal Rother
dobcheck I would just like to concur with the Craig Maskell was rubbish comments , was he a club record signing at one time?

You're right. Hmm, who cost us £800k then? Carl Asaba perhaps... another not-great player.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Apr 2008 14:40

Royal Rother
Vision
Royal Rother

You're right. Hmm, who cost us £800k then? Carl Asaba perhaps... another not-great player.

Asaba would be my guess. Utterly played wrongly.

I remember Nogan in 1995 being almost a record signing (and about £250k).

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 25 Apr 2008 15:04

Caskey £750K? Was worth it for one season alone - the Walsall play-off season video is basically all about him.

Loadsa goals and buckets of assists. Only to get dropped for the final, for Harper's first start in fookin ages.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 25 Apr 2008 15:19

Some of those early strikers certainly put our current and recent lot to shame. Ronnie Blackman's amazing goal scoring rate of 72% - and Tony McPhee, his immediate predecessor and mentor, at 64%

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 25 Apr 2008 15:26

Time really does play tricks!!

Dave Moreline was always one of my favourite players (don't claim him to be one of the best or a legend, just a player I liked being in our team, a bit like Ollie Kearns, Percy Freeman, John Hulme, Linden Jones etc)

But did he really stay with us until 1981?

Also:

Billy Whithurst playing so few games,

Tommy Jenkins, Jack Whitham, John Alexander scoring the majorirty of their goals in one game .

How the likes of Michael Barnes, Ron Fearon, Mick Doherty, Gary Donnellan, Michael Meaker, or Wayne Wan klyn played so many games for us (Answer - We really have been crap in the past)

As for crap goalkeepers - none worse than John Pratt or Frank Parsons

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Apr 2008 20:41

Surprised Martin Butler only had 32 goals to his name. Most of those would have been in the season we lost the play off final to Walsall.
Also thought Steve Hetzke (who I always remember from my Rothmans football book was born in Marlborough which for some reason I found interesting when I was young) had played more games for the club.
Great stats though.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 25 Apr 2008 20:57

ElmParker LEE David CD 91-92 On loan from Chelsea 5 games 5 goals

Of all the players who promised something while at Reading, his failure to make the grade is still the most mysterious to me. The word imperious could have been invented for his sweeping.

Apart from his own goal at London Road, in a game when Steve Richardson also scored (but at the right end!)

Anyway....

Canoville 16 games 4 goals :cry:

size 12

by size 12 » 25 Apr 2008 21:49

Lee Barkus - did he do anything after his transfer to Fulham? I rememer a mate of mine was convinced that he would become a Premiership player!

BanffshireRoyal

by BanffshireRoyal » 25 Apr 2008 22:29

Old Biscuitman Some of those early strikers certainly put our current and recent lot to shame. Ronnie Blackman's amazing goal scoring rate of 72% - and Tony McPhee, his immediate predecessor and mentor, at 64%

Not just the strikers, the inside forwards did pretty well eg Ronnie Dix (probably the baldest player we ever had) and Maurice Edelston who was not a centre forward as shown on the list. A fascinating website thuogh.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 26 Apr 2008 03:51

Vision
Royal Rother

I always used to have a bee in my bonnet with Reading fans and "record signings". The moment we signed someone it seemed to be the cue for fans to expect Cruyff,Pele and Puskas all rolled into one. If they didn't score a hat trick in their first couple of games then they were instantly dubbed a failiure. I always thought Maskell was a decent enough player, didn't quite work out for him with us but there were much much worse before and after.

pretty sure maskell was 250k...alot of money in that dvision then...and he was rubbish

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 26 Apr 2008 03:54

Super Kevin Bremner! Caskey £750K? Was worth it for one season alone - the Walsall play-off season video is basically all about him.

Loadsa goals and buckets of assists. Only to get dropped for the final, for Harper's first start in fookin ages.

yep, he was a good player when he joined and scored i think 20 goals in one season from midfield!! ....then i think he found food or something as started to resemble a michellin man, then left to join Notts County who were a league lower than Millwall (for more money)...think Notts Co were relagated the following season :roll:

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 26 Apr 2008 03:56

.[/quote]

You're right. Hmm, who cost us £800k then? Carl Asaba perhaps... another not-great player.[/quote]

yeh Carl aSaba was 800K and didnt do much!

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 26 Apr 2008 06:58

Carl Asaba being victim of one of the most outrageous referring decisions ever at Loftus Road when he was rugby tackled and then thumped for having the temerity to breeze past Rufus is a dog's name. Asaba got sent off.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 26 Apr 2008 08:14

JC
Then you have a player like Jerry Williams with 309!

The mind does play funny tricks

I always liked Jerry Williams, maybe more graft than craft but always kept going. He wouldnt get a look in now, but we were in 3rd/4th division at the time.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 26 Apr 2008 22:46

Steve Mautone - quality keeper

Mention to Jamie Lambert.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 27 Apr 2008 00:12

mini _dariusz Steve Mautone - quality keeper

Yes, but to prove my point, he only played 29 games for us

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 28 Apr 2008 14:19

I always thought Asaba was a good player in a sh*t team. Remember him ripping Peter Reid's Sunderland to pieces at Elm Park one day even though they were up the top of the table. Last season at EP IIRC.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2008 14:23

size 12 Lee Barkus - did he do anything after his transfer to Fulham? I rememer a mate of mine was convinced that he would become a Premiership player!

Suffered with back problems and was playing Sunday League back in Reading by the time he was mid to late 20's.