Confirmed - Sonko to Stoke

301 posts
royalsteve

Re: Confirmed - Sonko to Stoke

by royalsteve » 29 Aug 2008 20:27

skipper TBH i really dont think we need to replace him. What with having BK back, whom i expect to go straight into the squad. We have Doobs (once fit), Ivar and Pearce. Apparently Cisse can play there too.

I'd rather let Pearce have a ruddy good go at getting the spot / bench then buy some one anyway.

Good luck to him, but glad he's gone. Far too expensive a full back anyway. Mint at this level - but never good enough for PL.

Mint at this level - but never good enough for PL.

Almost.....
WAS A Mint at this level - but never good enough for PL.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Aug 2008 20:32

Bikey will be gone in January, if not before.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Aug 2008 20:54

royalsteve
hutch The best piece of transfer business the club has done in ages, :D , £2 million for an absolute liability is excellent news. A real positive to come out of this is that Pearce really goes up the pecking order now. Perhaps a new centre-back pairing of Pearce and Bikey for the long term? The club still need to get in 2 or 3 players to bolster the squad but all in all a good day.

isnt Bikey a liability though as he doesnt read the game very well as is a bit rash, but unlike sonks can play football :lol:

would have thought a better pairing would be pearce and ingi (he at least has some experience)

Pearce and Ingi= two slow centre backs getting exposed for pace. May also get outjumped on occaision.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 29 Aug 2008 20:58

royalsteve
hutch The best piece of transfer business the club has done in ages, :D , £2 million for an absolute liability is excellent news. A real positive to come out of this is that Pearce really goes up the pecking order now. Perhaps a new centre-back pairing of Pearce and Bikey for the long term? The club still need to get in 2 or 3 players to bolster the squad but all in all a good day.

isnt Bikey a liability though as he doesnt read the game very well as is a bit rash, but unlike sonks can play football :lol:

would have thought a better pairing would be pearce and ingi (he at least has some experience)

Bikey a liability ??? Hmmm ! On a different level to Sonko altogether. Just needs a run in the team which I hope he now gets.

biff

by biff » 29 Aug 2008 21:17

Noo. We now only have 5 strikers :cry:

John Peel

by John Peel » 29 Aug 2008 22:54

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks 2m is crap??? I thought Coppell said clubs would have to pay a 'premium' now the season has started. What a load of f*cking sh*te. Have a think about some of the money spent on much worse defenders in the past. Claude Davis anyone? F*cking 3m to Derby last season after having an awful season for Sheffield Utd.

Glad for Pearce, I really am. But Sonko has still scored three goals in two games and is better than people give him credit for. Sonko is crap at times, at others he is f*cking brilliant. You just have to live with it. If he was so bad then why did you all sing 'Sonko is Superman'!!!! Jesus, I give up. This forum cracks me up sometimes.

clauski

by clauski » 29 Aug 2008 23:10

I think it's probably a fair price and a fair move for us given he was unlikely to be Coppell's first choice and had struggled to regain his pace since coming back from injury. Thanks for your efforts Sonko and good luck with Stoke, you'll be busy.

Having said that I'm amused that NH could say "Centre half is a particularly strong position for us" given that it is the leaking of goals which got us relegated and has already started again this year, and that every centre half we have is so absolutely average SC can't determine a first choice pairing. Personally I don't see what others do in Bikey, his positioning and judgement can be poor as can his discipline, but he makes up for it at other times with great tackles. A bit like Sonko really, but I think we need more stability there. We'll get by OK but we all know how important a few goals can be...

urzmikep

by urzmikep » 30 Aug 2008 00:21

oh dear - panic time, our top scorer has left - who's gonna score all our goals now??
Can't believe we sold him so cheaply - LOL at SC saying Prem clubs have to pay a premium once the seasons started. Will be interesting to see what team he starts with tomorrow SC did say in the week that he would change things around, how many times did he say that last season and come Saturday did nothing. At least he's got to make one change now - or is that what he meant?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 30 Aug 2008 00:32

Good luck to Sonks, top fella and gave this club good service.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 30 Aug 2008 01:10

royalsteve

LOL Ingimarsson...loyal servant to the club but too old and slow now.

LOL Bikey a liability. He's the best defender in this league without doubt and him and Pearce are a quality partnership. Sad to see Sonko go, I thought he had a really good start to the season. On his day he was Superman, people slagged him off too much. It's because his decent performances raised expectation levels so that when he came back from injury he was expected to solve all our problems. That's fickle fans for ya. I still think Stoke will go down but oh well...good luck mate

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Aug 2008 01:21

Jeffers217
LOL Bikey a liability. He's the best defender in this league without doubt

LOL!!!!!! I have plenty of doubt.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 Aug 2008 01:34

are Sodje and Bennett even still here?

What is the status of these guys? Apart from DUMP

Streets

by Streets » 30 Aug 2008 01:41

The whole year inn are Sodje and Bennett even still here?

What is the status of these guys? Apart from DUMP

Bennet I think we were prepared to let go and has joined Brentford on loan - I think. Or is it on non-contractual terms?

Sodje is still here, sadly.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 Aug 2008 02:22

Decent sum of money for an long-term out of form, high paid player in a position where we have plenty of numbers, including one of our best youth prospects in a decade.

chandog

by chandog » 30 Aug 2008 10:44

How desperate were stoke to sign a liability for £2 mill?
since he came back from his knee injury he has been nowhere near as good as he previously was. can only be a good thing that he has gone
for that amount of money i dont think anyone will miss sonko
hopefully we will now see pearce have a fair chance to break into the first team

jonb_rfc

by jonb_rfc » 30 Aug 2008 11:58

I am not too bothered about this transfer Tbh, Sonko has proved quite error prone and has always had poor distribution plus we have Bikey is miles better IMO. Still have to thank Sonko for his performances at this level, but just not quite premiership quality.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2008 12:37

John Peel I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks 2m is crap??? I thought Coppell said clubs would have to pay a 'premium' now the season has started. What a load of f*cking sh*te. Have a think about some of the money spent on much worse defenders in the past. Claude Davis anyone? F*cking 3m to Derby last season after having an awful season for Sheffield Utd.

Agree.

Didn't they say no-one would leave unless it's on our terms now?

How the F*CK is 2 million pounds for quite possibly our best player on our terms????

You want to ruin this club Madejski and suck as much money out as possible?

Don't f*&king talk about having a serious attempt at going up again.

Lying b*stards.

:x

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 30 Aug 2008 12:42

2 world wars, 1 world cup
John Peel I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks 2m is crap??? I thought Coppell said clubs would have to pay a 'premium' now the season has started. What a load of f*cking sh*te. Have a think about some of the money spent on much worse defenders in the past. Claude Davis anyone? F*cking 3m to Derby last season after having an awful season for Sheffield Utd.

Agree.

How the F*CK is 2 million pounds for quite possibly our best player on our terms????

Lying b*stards.

Sonks is far from our best player. Ok, he's scored 3 goals this season, but he can still be a liability at the back and is not in the same league as Bikey. With Pearce getting better and better, £2m for a player who obviously doesn't want to be at the club and is prone to making crucial errors, is a great deal. Sonks was brilliant in our promotion season, but is now a shadow of his former self.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2008 14:35

Bill Oddie's Beard
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Agree.

Lying b*stards.

Sonks is far from our best player. Ok, he's scored 3 goals this season, but he can still be a liability at the back and is not in the same league as Bikey. With Pearce getting better and better, £2m for a player who obviously doesn't want to be at the club and is prone to making crucial errors, is a great deal. Sonks was brilliant in our promotion season, but is now a shadow of his former self.

Quite possibly true.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 31 Aug 2008 17:22

I heard Mr Sonko was sold cheaply and quickly , Because he sparked out Leory Lita .
:?:

301 posts