Kitson signs for Stoke for £5.5 million

956 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Kitson to Wigan/Stoke

by Uke » 17 Jul 2008 22:20

Wealdstone at home those that think players can just be 'replaced' (Which I did about Sidwell because I thought we could attract a class replacement at the time) are clearly wrong.

having said that we do clearly have players who want to leave - Kits being one of them.

Do we sell them now or watch them put in half hearted performances until January and sell them for less money?

the biggest problem that we have is that the activity is going to build and we shall sell Shorey, harps, Hunt, Lita and Doyle at the last minute - and little time to buy replacements and when we do they will have little or no time to bed in to the squad.

But what else could SC have done - sold them all earlier in the summer for less? and got replacements in earlier?

I don't know the answer - it feels like we are slowly having hope and motivation removed and we can do nothing about it

you can't sell until someone agrees to stump up the cash. June was holidays, July was 'legal discussions and contracts' - so realistically buying or selling really starts about now

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:21

papereyes If we reinvest this wisely, then is it a bad move? No.

However, I have real doubts about how we will replace our most talented striker. Oh, OK, we've got Lita and he's back at his level so its not all bad, but Kitson, imo, had something extra and deserves to stay in the Premiership. Even if only briefly.

I would also like to know what Reading gave him to get over his sickness so quickly.

Maybe they'll invest it into Harper and give him £25k a week like Hunt.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Jul 2008 22:21

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:23

Uke Is there no way we can get the comments of posters when from when we bought Kitson?

The ones about third rate, lack of ambition, etc...?

I was one of the few on here who lauded him as a superb signing having seen him play against us for Cambridge. It was probably the people on here now saying everything is alright and Coppell's got it under control though to be honest so their opinions didn't carry as much weight as a sponge.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 17 Jul 2008 22:24

OS now showing Kitson goals under the title "Madejski and Motson open the new media centre" !!!! Somebody at the club not waiting for tomorrow. Seriously I am suprised he's going to Stoke who must be vying with Hull for the "can we get more points than Derby" prize. Come 2009-2010 we could be facing Kitson in the Championship again. It could only be that his wages will much better there.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Jul 2008 22:27

Royalee Well done the RTGs for once again trying to ignore the inevitable. I would like to extend a hearty round of applause to the car park brigade for scuppering any chance we would have had of going back up - congratulations, you're all heroes.

Save our Steve.

yes, I'm sure he'll come out and say "I'd have stayed if Coppell had gone. I'm glad to see the back of him". I'm sure that was a key factor in him wanting to play in the premiership this season.

Do they let you near razor blades without supervision?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jul 2008 22:27

Royalee
Uke Is there no way we can get the comments of posters when from when we bought Kitson?

I was one of the few on here who lauded him as a superb signing having seen him play against us for Cambridge. It was probably the people on here now saying everything is alright and Coppell's got it under control though to be honest so their opinions didn't carry as much weight as a sponge.

Nope, I can state that almost every time I watched RFC at Cambridge I wanted us to buy their striker!

It worked with Butler and with Kitson!

But I do remember a whole load of negativity.

What did you take to make you lose hope so quickly? BTW what did you think when Coppell was appointed?

Lets see what we get and how the season pans out. If there is a manager who has a record of bargain buys (not expensive ones) its probably SC

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:28

windjammer Come 2009-2010 we could be facing Kitson in the Championship again. It could only be that his wages will much better there.

If we're still there. If we give away a Nicky Shorey here and a Kevin Doyle there I'd start scouring the bookies.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:29

Uke
Royalee

Nope, I can state that almost every time I watched RFC at Cambridge I wanted us to buy their striker!

It worked with Butler and with Kitson!

But I do remember a whole load of negativity.

What did you take to make you lose hope so quickly? BTW what did you think when Coppell was appointed?

Lets see what we get and how the season pans out. If there is a manager who has a record of bargain buys (not expensive ones) its probably SC

I thought he was a decent appointment. Now I'm not so sure - Bryan Robson had a nack of getting teams promoted once upon a time.

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 17 Jul 2008 22:32

Uke
Wealdstone at home those that think players can just be 'replaced' (Which I did about Sidwell because I thought we could attract a class replacement at the time) are clearly wrong.

having said that we do clearly have players who want to leave - Kits being one of them.

Do we sell them now or watch them put in half hearted performances until January and sell them for less money?

the biggest problem that we have is that the activity is going to build and we shall sell Shorey, harps, Hunt, Lita and Doyle at the last minute - and little time to buy replacements and when we do they will have little or no time to bed in to the squad.

But what else could SC have done - sold them all earlier in the summer for less? and got replacements in earlier?

I don't know the answer - it feels like we are slowly having hope and motivation removed and we can do nothing about it

you can't sell until someone agrees to stump up the cash. June was holidays, July was 'legal discussions and contracts' - so realistically buying or selling really starts about now

Who do you think we're having legal discussions about contracts with?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jul 2008 22:32

Royalee I thought he was a decent appointment. Now I'm not so sure - Bryan Robson had a nack of getting teams promoted once upon a time.

That was before 24 hour drinking

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:32

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Royalee Well done the RTGs for once again trying to ignore the inevitable. I would like to extend a hearty round of applause to the car park brigade for scuppering any chance we would have had of going back up - congratulations, you're all heroes.

Save our Steve.

yes, I'm sure he'll come out and say "I'd have stayed if Coppell had gone. I'm glad to see the back of him". I'm sure that was a key factor in him wanting to play in the premiership this season.

Do they let you near razor blades without supervision?

Two words:

FORWARD PLANNING. Of course if Coppell wasn't some sort of useless dickhead who has yet to learn from 20 years as a manager, he may have seen this coming and looked to bed in some long term replacements before pre-season begins. Look at how Ferguson at Man Utd is looking to bring in that Chilean prodigy as a long term replacement for Ronaldo while he's still at the club. All the best managers plan in advance, we just 'react'. If you see a bee about to sting you, you dont wait for it to sting you before reacted because that's stupid. And that's what we've been, stung.

Mr Barlow

by Mr Barlow » 17 Jul 2008 22:33

JM, a successful businessman. End of story.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jul 2008 22:33

Wealdstone at home
Uke you can't sell until someone agrees to stump up the cash. June was holidays, July was 'legal discussions and contracts' - so realistically buying or selling really starts about now

No idea - I'm just looking at the timescales

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jul 2008 22:34

Uke
Royalee I thought he was a decent appointment. Now I'm not so sure - Bryan Robson had a nack of getting teams promoted once upon a time.

That was before 24 hour drinking

Hahaha. :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Jul 2008 22:37

As posted a few weeks ago this does have the same feel as 1995.
Then our best player and the fulcrum of the side left in Simon Osborn.
This time that rarest of breeds now in our football-tall,good in the air,good link man with other strikers and a decent finisher leaves for a club that is nowadays (forgetting the past for the moment) not much bigger than our own.

The PR coming from the club in recent days has been dreadful.
Apart from the "Kitson has a cold" nonsense to say that if a player wants to leave he can really does strike me as about as negative as it gets.
Why the f*** hasn't the managementbeing pulling out all stops to persuade the likes of Kitson ,Doyle and Harper that we have ambition to make an immediate return to The Premiership?
Surely the line of "stay on board fellas at least until Christmas to see how we are doing.We'll keep you on Premiership wages until that time and if we aren't doing well we won't stand in your way.Also we will be investing in new players" would have shown the commitment that we and the players would like to have heard?
Instead we were as quick as Defoe putting in a transfer request after relegation to come out with the "Steve will have to sell before he can buy" and latterly this stuff about players being allowed to leave.

It surely is very near the time for a statement of intent by the club especially with little more than 3 weeks to go till the start of the season and our best player about to leave and the second midfield dynamo about to go within the year.
Can't you just hear it "Our ambitions are clear because Stephen Hunt has pledged his future to the club.........."?
The one that many of us want to go will stay as Roy Keane finally comes to his senses and realises that he could get somebody decent for £5million instead of our player of the year (what a sick joke).
Groundhog Day tomorrow then-goodbye Dave you have done well for us and you owe our club nothing.
Know any good strikers?

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 17 Jul 2008 22:42

Uke
Wealdstone at home
Uke you can't sell until someone agrees to stump up the cash. June was holidays, July was 'legal discussions and contracts' - so realistically buying or selling really starts about now

No idea - I'm just looking at the timescales

Fair point but we do not appear to be linked to anyone at all let alone anyone that would provide for a spark of excitement

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Jul 2008 22:44

Still, we got the best media centre outside the Premiership and we can still be as big as Arsenal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck Kitson, you've done this club proud over the past couple of years and will make Reading FC a handsome profit.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 17 Jul 2008 22:45

Talk about twisting the knife. They don't even want him.

And they love talking about sucking cock. Ho Hum.

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 17 Jul 2008 22:52

Victor Meldrew As posted a few weeks ago this does have the same feel as 1995.
Then our best player and the fulcrum of the side left in Simon Osborn.
This time that rarest of breeds now in our football-tall,good in the air,good link man with other strikers and a decent finisher leaves for a club that is nowadays (forgetting the past for the moment) not much bigger than our own.

The PR coming from the club in recent days has been dreadful.
Apart from the "Kitson has a cold" nonsense to say that if a player wants to leave he can really does strike me as about as negative as it gets.
Why the f*** hasn't the managementbeing pulling out all stops to persuade the likes of Kitson ,Doyle and Harper that we have ambition to make an immediate return to The Premiership?
Surely the line of "stay on board fellas at least until Christmas to see how we are doing.We'll keep you on Premiership wages until that time and if we aren't doing well we won't stand in your way.Also we will be investing in new players" would have shown the commitment that we and the players would like to have heard?
Instead we were as quick as Defoe putting in a transfer request after relegation to come out with the "Steve will have to sell before he can buy" and latterly this stuff about players being allowed to leave.

It surely is very near the time for a statement of intent by the club especially with little more than 3 weeks to go till the start of the season and our best player about to leave and the second midfield dynamo about to go within the year.
Can't you just hear it "Our ambitions are clear because Stephen Hunt has pledged his future to the club.........."?
The one that many of us want to go will stay as Roy Keane finally comes to his senses and realises that he could get somebody decent for £5million instead of our player of the year (what a sick joke).
Groundhog Day tomorrow then-goodbye Dave you have done well for us and you owe our club nothing.
Know any good strikers?

Spot on - everything communicated by the club and the players is luke warm and lacks conviction and sincerity - it reminds me a bit of our government at present - the more they to say what they think we want to hear the more shaky I feel about the season ahead

956 posts