When will our first signing be?

200 posts
clauski

When will our first signing be?

by clauski » 03 Jul 2008 18:43

Should we have a sweepstake on this? Along with Watford we are the only team in the Championship not to have made a signing yet this Summer. I know its early days but I fear we are waiting for people to leave first, by which time we will be seeking players from a reduced field and on a more rushed basis or simply accepting what we already have. I would have thought we should be actively looking to better our team, not just keep it as it was and only replace those who leave. Surely the team wasn't good enough last year and we should be as concerned with those positions that don't have a "star" performer in? If nothing else a bit of momentum in the transfer market might encourage players and fans that we do mean business again this year.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: When will our first signing be?

by Avon Royal » 03 Jul 2008 18:45

I'll take January.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 03 Jul 2008 19:13

give it a few weeks most clubs have just gone back to training so it be soon id have though

Toxteth O'Grady (USA)

by Toxteth O'Grady (USA) » 03 Jul 2008 19:23

Ideal Well, they keep saying we have to sell someone first.

Same old same old from the club.

I find it interesting that Coppell admitted the signs weren't good last September - by November was publicly stating we would invest in January (yeh we signed a good [but lightweight] midfielder but everyone could see it was the defence that needing attention shipping threes, fours and sevens) and ultimately we didn't.

Next opportunity - club makes big noises. Coppell says he was too loyal to the players he had and Hammond etc speak of major summer overhaul. Season ticket renewal date passes and Coppell starts talking about reducing the squad and taking loanees if we need them. Is nobody else worrying about this trend??? Am I alone?? (and being succesful two seasons ago has got nothing to with our current capability - AS STATED BY COPPELL HIMSELF)

I am at the point where I am seriously wondering. We must be the only club in history where fan support has contributed to a manager staying after he admitted he knew we were in trouble in September and then did nothing about it - resulting in relegation. Fans were begging him to stay as was the chairman? And now the same old rhetoric which changes as soon as the season ticket money is in the bank.

I can't wait for the season to get underway. Looking forward to a good old fashioned shite team with no heart or imagination. My money is on severe crowd unrest and calls for the mangaers head by the end of October.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 03 Jul 2008 19:31

Dur! Wasn't this squad just slightly not good enough for the Prem. I'm not saying we are going to walk the CCC but if we kept this squad and had a fresh start I would find that very encouraging. While players waiting on a whim of interest from the Prem clubs may unsettle the squad, equivalent standard players to what we currently have coming in early will undoutedly unsettle the squad.

Relax.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Jul 2008 19:53

Avon Royal I'll take January.

Streets

by Streets » 03 Jul 2008 20:07

Hammond was quoted as saying he thought someone would be in as early as next week and he said that a month ago. :lol:

Tight club - less attractive to the money mad footballers of today.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 03 Jul 2008 20:22

PEARCEY

At the earliest.........

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jul 2008 20:34

I still think it's far too early to start panicking. Although other teams have signed players, the majority have been free transfers. Had we done the same, no doubt people would be moaning that we've only gone for free transfers who couldn't even get a contract at barnsley etc. I'd rather us take a bit of time to bring in the right players, than bring in more deadwood on free transfers. Having said that, I do expect us to have made a signing by the end of next week, conveniently coinciding with our kit release on 11th July.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 03 Jul 2008 20:50

Arnie_Pie
PEARCEY

At the earliest.........

Very optimistic.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Jul 2008 20:53

We should make this into a poll. Or a bet...

double d

by double d » 03 Jul 2008 22:13

I think even if we do sell a few (Shorey, Sonko etc etc) we have enough cover for decent games until January and plus we got the loan advanetge we never had in the prem i think?

gonesy

by gonesy » 03 Jul 2008 22:33

One day's training without a full squad in attendance is hardly enough for Coppell to know what he's got. He's already said he wants to see people's attitudes before making any decisions on players coming in/going out. As mentioned above, I'm sure he'd be reasonably happy to go with last year's squad if everyone in it genuinely wants to play for Reading and is up for the challenge of getting promoted again. Behind the scenes, Coppell will already have transfer targets in mind if players do leave and as per usual, the club aren't going to shout to the media about them!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jul 2008 22:49

Next Tuesday 2.00pm

Right midfielder.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 03 Jul 2008 23:29

A community coach at one of the "Elite" centres,heard that Dolan was speaking with representatives for Roman Keinast who plays for Austria or Switzerland. I personally have never heard of him and do not remember him at Euro 08? Anyone have any info?
Last edited by runrunrunrungilksey on 04 Jul 2008 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Jul 2008 23:48

Who cares?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 03 Jul 2008 23:56

double d

by double d » 03 Jul 2008 23:59

Ideal
runrunrunrungilksey A community coach at one of the "Elite" centres,heard that Dolan was speaking with representatives for Roman Keinast who plays for Switzerland. I personally have never heard of him and do not remember him at Euro 08? Anyone have any info?

Roman Kienast is an Austrian international who plays for HamKam (Hamar Kameratene FK) in Norway.
They are bottom of the league and he hasn't scored a single goal all season.

He's a target man type striker. Doesn't score very many goals but is a big physical presence when he can be bothered to put any effort in.
In the top division in Norway he just can not score.
HamKam were relegated 2006 - he scored only 3 goals that season, and in 2007 he did score approx 20 goals in the "adecco league" which is basicly div 2.

Just to sum it up, this guy is not good enough for the Norwegian top division but seems to do allright in the Norwegian div 2 which is a pretty awful standard of football.
I think he's very lazy.

just what we are looking for another striker who couldn't score in a brothel

15.12.2006 he was also suspended for three matches by the Norwegian FA, for racially abusing an opponent, Daniel Nannskog.
According to Nannskog, Kienast called him "fcuking monkey", "you fcuking monkey" and "fcuking n*gger"...

So he is not only lazy, he also doesn't know where the goal is, and is a complete wakner on a personal level! He's about as charming as Joey Barton.

In fact I would much rather that we signed Daniel Nannskog, Swedish bloke, has scored 20+ every season the last three years.
He is a top class finisher and has amazing pace and acceleration. Left-footed.

Nannskog on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RSFFzikzI

just what we are looking for.........another striker who cannot score in a brothel.......but if he turns out to be the austrian doyle ill eat my hat

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 04 Jul 2008 01:01

Kienast looked very good when he came on in Euro 2008, probably because Linz the starting striker was so bad. If he can't get in the Austrian team though that does raise some questions. Not sure if he'd move us forward, certainly didn't look any stronger than what we have up front. I'd say getting in an attacker is not a priority at the moment.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 04 Jul 2008 01:14

We've already signed up 11,700 odd mugs wearing the number 13 shirt. Sadly i'm one of them :cry:

200 posts