When will our first signing be?

200 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: When will our first signing be?

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 14:54

Vision
Southbank Old Boy

Just how I feel. As I said, I don't want us to let players go for a pittence, but at the same time, there is no point keeping players for the sake of 500k or whatever IF we think they're not going to be buying 100% into our future.

We'd be much better off clearing the decks and getting on with the rebuilding even if it means we get a few mil' less into the coffers.

Our future is going to be dictated by how well we rebuild the squad right now, not by the amount we receive in transfer fee's for players who think they're better than the championship.

But thats the problem isn't it. Judging exactly whether those players are buying into our future. Theres no doubt that they would all prefer to play in the Premier League for substantially more money. In order to judge whether they are prepared to give their all for us if they don't get their dream move means Coppell has to weigh this up whilst watching them in action. Given that some of those that have generated interest have only just returned to training then its a little early to draw that conclusion.

I agree about being more proactive but as i've said before its a fine balancing act and it one of the reasons sides that on paper you'd assume should go straight back up, rarely do.

Also in looking for replacements if we look at the average figures being bandied around which are generally circa 3m or above in the cases of Shorey, Hunt Harper, Kitson, Doyle etc does anyone think that we'll be prepared to pay that figure to replace them with better whilst in the Championship? Not very likely i'd wager and equally difficult would be attracting that calibre of player to the club anyway.

Its all well and good saying, "cash in and freshen up" the squad but those players that are on the hitlist so to speak are proven quality at this level. However they're only likely to be replaced with players that potentially could be better but are likely to need to be bedded in.

We're obvioulsy not going to get players in that are currently perceived as being as good as the players we lose to the Prem, otherwise they'd probably be the ones going to the Prem in the first place. This is where the manager and his staff have to come into their own and bring in players they think they can turn into players as good as, or better, than the ones we're going to lose. That's a hell of a big task.

The alternative is bringing in players to do a slightly different job within the team but those changes make the team stronger.

I guess it all comes down to what players will do a good job in this division. Will Shorey do a better job in this division than a lesser, younger, more hungry left back with more to prove? Debatable of course, and it's a question we can't really know the answer to.

In terms of judging who is buying in and who isn't, I think the manager and his staff should already have a decent idea of that considering how well they'll know the players personalities, ambitions, state of minds etc. Sure there will be a few question marks over some, and the odd surprise along the way, but I bet Coppell knew in May who he thought would probably want to be out the door and who would want to knuckle down and fight for their careers at RFC.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 10 Jul 2008 15:28

2 great midfielders from the lwoer divisions

david perkins
carl baker

both available for about 200k, young, hungry, can tackle/pass and score goals, basically quality all round midfielders

why haven't we bought them both??

instead we get jokers like kebe and fae

our scouting department is a joke

g

by g » 10 Jul 2008 15:30

it makes much more sense sending your scouts to foreign countries for a bit of holiday than spending midweek in barnet

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Jul 2008 15:31

Southbank Old Boy
Vision
But thats the problem isn't it. Judging exactly whether those players are buying into our future. Theres no doubt that they would all prefer to play in the Premier League for substantially more money. In order to judge whether they are prepared to give their all for us if they don't get their dream move means Coppell has to weigh this up whilst watching them in action. Given that some of those that have generated interest have only just returned to training then its a little early to draw that conclusion.

I agree about being more proactive but as i've said before its a fine balancing act and it one of the reasons sides that on paper you'd assume should go straight back up, rarely do.

Also in looking for replacements if we look at the average figures being bandied around which are generally circa 3m or above in the cases of Shorey, Hunt Harper, Kitson, Doyle etc does anyone think that we'll be prepared to pay that figure to replace them with better whilst in the Championship? Not very likely i'd wager and equally difficult would be attracting that calibre of player to the club anyway.

Its all well and good saying, "cash in and freshen up" the squad but those players that are on the hitlist so to speak are proven quality at this level. However they're only likely to be replaced with players that potentially could be better but are likely to need to be bedded in.

We're obvioulsy not going to get players in that are currently perceived as being as good as the players we lose to the Prem, otherwise they'd probably be the ones going to the Prem in the first place. This is where the manager and his staff have to come into their own and bring in players they think they can turn into players as good as, or better, than the ones we're going to lose. That's a hell of a big task.

The alternative is bringing in players to do a slightly different job within the team but those changes make the team stronger.

I guess it all comes down to what players will do a good job in this division. Will Shorey do a better job in this division than a lesser, younger, more hungry left back with more to prove? Debatable of course, and it's a question we can't really know the answer to.

In terms of judging who is buying in and who isn't, I think the manager and his staff should already have a decent idea of that considering how well they'll know the players personalities, ambitions, state of minds etc. Sure there will be a few question marks over some, and the odd surprise along the way, but I bet Coppell knew in May who he thought would probably want to be out the door and who would want to knuckle down and fight for their careers at RFC.

As regards the first paragraph i was responding to BR2's point about if we do sell Harper and Shorey then we need to replace them with better. Its unlikely to happen, certainly not straight away anyway.

You're right bringing in those players that could prove to be better is a major task but not one beyond Coppell if given time to develop them. Thats the real issue i had with Coppell staying on really. I can't see the point if he's only looking to do this year out of a sense of loyalty or obligation. I personally think that it will take at least a season to mount a serious promotion challenge if, as i expect, we lose 3/4 first team regulars and follow our preferred recruitment policy. On the plus i may be being overly optimistic but i firmly believe Rosenior, Cisse and Matejovsky will all be better for having had time to settle in themselves.

I think Coppell knew in May that every player would want out of the door if given an opportunity of keeping their Premiership status. Its one of the few significant parts of todays interview when he says that all players will come in with full guns blazing anyway as regardless of where they see their future they want to get up to speed fitness wise. Its the week or so following that period that will determine their general attitude to the reality of the situation.

The question is can we afford to wait and if not who do we actively attempt to move on first? Presumably the answer to that may lie in what position we are closest to signing ourselves.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 10 Jul 2008 15:32

g it makes much more sense sending your scouts to foreign countries for a bit of holiday than spending midweek in barnet

'greed g

fcukers are more interested in tanning themselves on a beach than signing up true prospects

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Jul 2008 15:58

BBTSA great minds think alike

Through thick and thin ffs.[/quote]

People can take us being shit, it's par for the course. Its the lies and bullshit from the club people take a dislike to.[/quote]

12 year olds shouldn't swear.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 10 Jul 2008 18:16

Archie's penalty
Coppell's Right Footed 11 Brian Howard next monday after Harper has left for Bolton

Where have you heard that? He'd be a great signing if it were to be true though.

I would love to see this too. But Barnsley would likely want more than we could afford I imagine after his FA Cup performances.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jul 2008 20:07

seahawk10
Archie's penalty
Coppell's Right Footed 11 Brian Howard next monday after Harper has left for Bolton

Where have you heard that? He'd be a great signing if it were to be true though.

I would love to see this too. But Barnsley would likely want more than we could afford I imagine after his FA Cup performances.

He's in League 2. Barndsley wouldn't demand that much for him. We can probably afford his wages (which will be low) and the transfer fee will be 500k at the most, I'd imagine. He won't cost 1m+.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jul 2008 20:43

Have Barnsley gone down two divisions over the summer without me noticing?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jul 2008 20:56

Stranded Have Barnsley gone down two divisions over the summer without me noticing?

Sorry, was thinking of Barnet. Or are they League 1?

In any case, we can afford him.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jul 2008 13:16

At last. The first new player of the summer. Can the negative cynics shut up now please. He's a right winger i believe.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 89,00.html

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Jul 2008 13:30

He's probably better than Oster and Kebe.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jul 2008 14:44

Vision if we do sell Harper and Shorey then we need to replace them with better. Its unlikely to happen

I don't know, we might be able to pick up a myopic landmine victim on the cheap

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 11 Jul 2008 19:12

:shock:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 11 Jul 2008 20:10

I dont know about "when will our first signing be" maybe it should be "are we going to sign anybody"

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Aug 2022 15:09

this is a good read.

what a miserable bunch even then.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 02 Aug 2022 16:00

Gus the teenage cow 2 great midfielders from the lwoer divisions

david perkins
carl baker

both available for about 200k, young, hungry, can tackle/pass and score goals, basically quality all round midfielders

why haven't we bought them both??

instead we get jokers like kebe and fae

our scouting department is a joke

Seems like a lot of other teams higher up the pyramid missed out on the skills of these two footballing behemoths during their careers.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Aug 2022 22:15

LUX this is a good read.

:mrgreen: True, I don’t frequent other team’s fans forums but I suspect unless your team is playing well and doing well That they would all mirror hobnob in terms of negatively

Also sure some are inherently negative but surely some posts are a bit tongue in cheek?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Aug 2022 22:31

SouthDownsRoyal
LUX this is a good read.

:mrgreen: True, I don’t frequent other team’s fans forums but I suspect unless your team is playing well and doing well That they would all mirror hobnob in terms of negatively

Also sure some are inherently negative but surely some posts are a bit tongue in cheek?

Listen to 606 on radio 5 and it's endless moaning these days. Money rules it seems.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2022 08:26

Ian Royal I may have already said this, if so probably with a different date, but I reckon we'll sign some one by at worst the 24th July 2008. The optimist in me says we'll get someone really good in on the 17th July 2008

Don't know what the order of signings was, but we signed Noel Hunt on 24 July. 8)

200 posts