When will our first signing be?

200 posts
BBTSA

Re: When will our first signing be?

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 13:17

I think Pards had a bad rub of the green at West Ham, things were going well till the board decided to bring Tevez in behind his back.

He then went to a sinking ship at Charlton and is still rebuilding it and repairing the damage.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Jul 2008 13:20

Royalee It's funny how people often blame Madejski for lack of signings, but we seemed to be in the market for players all the time when Pardew was here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for him to come back, but it certainly isn't as hard to attract players as Coppell makes out.

Coppell has only found it difficult to attract players that are better than he already possesses when we got promotion to the Premier League. He improved the personnel each season up until that point. Of course the fact that he hasn't improved anything from that promotion side indicates he has problems in that area and in particular replacements for Sidwell and the injured Little. However i still maintain that if you look at the value of Sidwell now and the calibre of club in for him, then with the resources of this football club thats not a particularly easy task.

The issue here is that Coppell's forte is aquiring young hungry players and working with them to make something far better than most originally perceive. Of course with that policy its quite likely that there will be those that simply don't turn out to have what it takes. He has proved that he can acheive success in this division by following this policy. Doesn't necessarily mean that he will do it again but its really the most obvious way when working for a club which is insisting on being solvent and self financing. Its why JM loves having him here and from Coppell's point of view it allows him to work to his strengths.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 10 Jul 2008 13:21

Even though Pards did sign Sidwell I think SC deserves a lot of praise for this signing. SC spotted the potential signed him for 2 different clubs and put a bid in for Brighton. With Sidwell I think Pards was fortunate he was managing a better club than SC

Little – Under Pardew Little was terrible. We had Little on loan and then signed Scot Murray for about 650K (irc) so that made me think Pards thought Little wasn’t up to it.

I think SC has been a bit hit and miss recently but overall I think he’s better than Pards was in the transfer market. Look at Charlton now; I don’t think the fans are too happy with the progress.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jul 2008 13:24

Tactically Coppell is better than Pardew, I can never forget Curo wide right at Cambridge, replaced by Rougier and then subbed off after 10 mins. Or Rougier at right back v Barnet, also John Mackie as a defensive midfielder against Forest, subbed and Watson ran the show there are many more. Also what I've always felt with Pardew's teams when the finish line is in sight, they haven't got the mentality to see the job through.

Coppell's transfer record was excellent until we got to the Premiership it really has been dire since. I'd say they are similar although i would definitely agree PArdew is far more pro active. He was always on the hunt for new players always trying things to improve us, and would definitely sign more 'wow' players. Never expected to get Curo in Div 2, Butler was a big signing, Chadwick on loan at the time, he wanted Di Canio, Upson. He definitely seemed to have the knack of either selling the club or getting people to beleive in him and the club.

Very different managers, both been very good for rFC and it's development, I'd favour Coppell over Pardew just. But he really needs to do something this month, we can't go into the new season with so little change. I don't think keeping the same squad even with the likes of Shorey, Hunt etc would be a good thing. Coppell has already stated that 'a few players have come up to me and said they want to play in the Prem' i.e. 'I want to leave'. I doubt that's Harper, he's just not the sort of character to say that. I can imagine Kitson, Shorey and Hunt saying it and if those are the 3 who have said it then they should go, if we can get decent offers. Just can't have players that don't want to be here even if it slightly weakens you.

I'm annoyed at the quote earlier, as already stated it's what we've heard on repeat for the last 3 years, he's got July and August to do something otherwise he is treading very thin ice, especially if we get off to a poor start because his supporters will dwindel rapidly.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 13:31

Alan Partridge Tactically Coppell is better than Pardew, I can never forget Curo wide right at Cambridge, replaced by Rougier and then subbed off after 10 mins. Or Rougier at right back v Barnet, also John Mackie as a defensive midfielder against Forest, subbed and Watson ran the show there are many more. Also what I've always felt with Pardew's teams when the finish line is in sight, they haven't got the mentality to see the job through.

Coppell's transfer record was excellent until we got to the Premiership it really has been dire since. I'd say they are similar although i would definitely agree PArdew is far more pro active. He was always on the hunt for new players always trying things to improve us, and would definitely sign more 'wow' players. Never expected to get Curo in Div 2, Butler was a big signing, Chadwick on loan at the time, he wanted Di Canio, Upson. He definitely seemed to have the knack of either selling the club or getting people to beleive in him and the club.

Very different managers, both been very good for rFC and it's development, I'd favour Coppell over Pardew just. But he really needs to do something this month, we can't go into the new season with so little change. I don't think keeping the same squad even with the likes of Shorey, Hunt etc would be a good thing. Coppell has already stated that 'a few players have come up to me and said they want to play in the Prem' i.e. 'I want to leave'. I doubt that's Harper, he's just not the sort of character to say that. I can imagine Kitson, Shorey and Hunt saying it and if those are the 3 who have said it then they should go, if we can get decent offers. Just can't have players that don't want to be here even if it slightly weakens you.

I'm annoyed at the quote earlier, as already stated it's what we've heard on repeat for the last 3 years, he's got July and August to do something otherwise he is treading very thin ice, especially if we get off to a poor start because his supporters will dwindel rapidly.

Pretty much agree with everything there.

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 13:32

Alan Partridge Tactically Coppell is better than Pardew, I can never forget Curo wide right at Cambridge, replaced by Rougier and then subbed off after 10 mins. Or Rougier at right back v Barnet, also John Mackie as a defensive midfielder against Forest, subbed and Watson ran the show there are many more. Also what I've always felt with Pardew's teams when the finish line is in sight, they haven't got the mentality to see the job through.

Im being serious when I say I would probably swap today.

Pards would freshen this squad up straight away in my opinion

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Jul 2008 13:36

BBTSA

Yes he would, but not much thought would go into it.

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 13:38

Wycombe Royal
BBTSA

Such a thing as too much thought.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Jul 2008 13:38

BBTSA
Wycombe Royal
BBTSA Im being serious when I say I would probably swap today.

Indeed. A happy medium would be nice.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 10 Jul 2008 13:44

Wycombe Royal
BBTSA
Wycombe Royal Yes he would, but not much thought would go into it.

Indeed. A happy medium would be nice.

Presumably a hppy medium woul dbe able to tell us if we are going to get promoted this season as well...

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 13:54

Roger the Rabbit Presumably a hppy medium woul dbe able to tell us if we are going to get promoted this season as well...

Ho ho ho :lol:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 14:09

As the likes of Stranded have said, it's all to early to get too excited over what are column filler quotes from lazy local hacks, but it is still a little concerning that despite all the talk of refreshing the squad, learning from mistakes, time for changes to be made etc etc, we're being told that we've not got anywhere near putting any of these words into action.

As AP says, if this was the first time we'd heard it all it wouldn't matter a jot. The fact that we've been here before, on more than one occassion, is surely a bit disconcerting to even the most fervent "wait and see, trust the club" merchants.

I don't want the club to let players go for a pittance, but we have to shake things up and we have to be a bit more proactive in doing so otherwise we'll get left behind again.

The clock is ticking, I just hope this is all more examples of mixed messages and dodgy PR coming out of the club and they're actually well on top of things. If they are, then they, and those who are jumping to defend them, can't really complain if some people are worried by what their saying to the press as it's the only real window we have into whats going on with the club. A little more truth and honesty from our so called straight talking manager with integrity wouldnt go a miss at a time when the fans need all the positive news they get gleem to rebuild after last seasons depressing failures.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 10 Jul 2008 14:11

It shows how desperate we all feel by the tetchy postings in response to the latest interview with our leader.
As I see it the good news is that he still sees the need for a right-winger which implies that he thinks Kebe and Henry aren't up to it.
The bad news is that he said the same on a number of occasions last season and we ended up with Kebe.

Hammond and Mc Dermott have presented names to Steve and he has rejected all of them.
What does that say about our scouting network?

Coppell says that we have 7 or 8 centre-halves as if they have arrived by magic-Steve,you signed them.

What strikes me as odd is that we are scouring the lower leagues for these young and hungry lads-how come we are scouring now when there is no opportunity to see them play?
Surely scouts were at work watching games throughout last season including Premiership Reserves games and have submitted dossiers on hundreds of players in English football?

One further point is that we don't tend to bring in players and let them play straight away so when players like Harper and Shorey move on how many games will we play before those newcomers are ready?

Other than the few who think that the likes of Cisse,Bryn,Ivar and so on (young and hungry?)will see us make a serious attempt at promotion most of us have this down feeling at the moment and I,like them,am just keeping my fingers crossed that a number of players are ready to come in and they need to turn out better than the Harpers,Shoreys and so on (and not just as good as) if we are to have a genuine chance of a return to the big league.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jul 2008 14:17

BR2 It shows how desperate we all feel by the tetchy postings in response to the latest interview with our leader.
As I see it the good news is that he still sees the need for a right-winger which implies that he thinks Kebe and Henry aren't up to it.
The bad news is that he said the same on a number of occasions last season and we ended up with Kebe.

Hammond and Mc Dermott have presented names to Steve and he has rejected all of them.
What does that say about our scouting network?

Coppell says that we have 7 or 8 centre-halves as if they have arrived by magic-Steve,you signed them.

What strikes me as odd is that we are scouring the lower leagues for these young and hungry lads-how come we are scouring now when there is no opportunity to see them play?
Surely scouts were at work watching games throughout last season including Premiership Reserves games and have submitted dossiers on hundreds of players in English football?

One further point is that we don't tend to bring in players and let them play straight away so when players like Harper and Shorey move on how many games will we play before those newcomers are ready?

Other than the few who think that the likes of Cisse,Bryn,Ivar and so on (young and hungry?)will see us make a serious attempt at promotion most of us have this down feeling at the moment and I,like them,am just keeping my fingers crossed that a number of players are ready to come in and they need to turn out better than the Harpers,Shoreys and so on (and not just as good as) if we are to have a genuine chance of a return to the big league.

Good post. I do think however that Harper would do a good job for us in the championship. I think that Shorey should go though. It would be a shame if we missed out on signings due to dilly-dallying. I would prefer to see the players go sooner rather than later so
we can get the right players in for next year. BUT they have to offer the cash and from what I've heard they don't seem to have been
doing that. I say the next decent offer we get for Shorey, Hunt (and possibly) Kitson we let them go. I'd be prepared to accept 2.5 million for Shorey, 3 for Hunt and 4 for Kitson.

Btw does anyone know if there have been any bids for Shorey?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 14:30

Archie's penalty Good post. I do think however that Harper would do a good job for us in the championship. I think that Shorey should go though. It would be a shame if we missed out on signings due to dilly-dallying. I would prefer to see the players go sooner rather than later so
we can get the right players in for next year. BUT they have to offer the cash and from what I've heard they don't seem to have been
doing that. I say the next decent offer we get for Shorey, Hunt (and possibly) Kitson we let them go. I'd be prepared to accept 2.5 million for Shorey, 3 for Hunt and 4 for Kitson.

Btw does anyone know if there have been any bids for Shorey?

Just how I feel. As I said, I don't want us to let players go for a pittence, but at the same time, there is no point keeping players for the sake of 500k or whatever IF we think they're not going to be buying 100% into our future.

We'd be much better off clearing the decks and getting on with the rebuilding even if it means we get a few mil' less into the coffers.

Our future is going to be dictated by how well we rebuild the squad right now, not by the amount we receive in transfer fee's for players who think they're better than the championship.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Jul 2008 14:45

Southbank Old Boy

Just how I feel. As I said, I don't want us to let players go for a pittence, but at the same time, there is no point keeping players for the sake of 500k or whatever IF we think they're not going to be buying 100% into our future.

We'd be much better off clearing the decks and getting on with the rebuilding even if it means we get a few mil' less into the coffers.

Our future is going to be dictated by how well we rebuild the squad right now, not by the amount we receive in transfer fee's for players who think they're better than the championship.

But thats the problem isn't it. Judging exactly whether those players are buying into our future. Theres no doubt that they would all prefer to play in the Premier League for substantially more money. In order to judge whether they are prepared to give their all for us if they don't get their dream move means Coppell has to weigh this up whilst watching them in action. Given that some of those that have generated interest have only just returned to training then its a little early to draw that conclusion.

I agree about being more proactive but as i've said before its a fine balancing act and it one of the reasons sides that on paper you'd assume should go straight back up, rarely do.

Also in looking for replacements if we look at the average figures being bandied around which are generally circa 3m or above in the cases of Shorey, Hunt Harper, Kitson, Doyle etc does anyone think that we'll be prepared to pay that figure to replace them with better whilst in the Championship? Not very likely i'd wager and equally difficult would be attracting that calibre of player to the club anyway.

Its all well and good saying, "cash in and freshen up" the squad but those players that are on the hitlist so to speak are proven quality at this level. However they're only likely to be replaced with players that potentially could be better but are likely to need to be bedded in.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Jul 2008 14:49

Brian Howard next monday after Harper has left for Bolton

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 14:51

eh?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Jul 2008 14:53

BR2 What strikes me as odd is that we are scouring the lower leagues for these young and hungry lads-how come we are scouring now when there is no opportunity to see them play?

We were looking at them and now we are enquiring as to the buying price - negotiation takes time and there are five parties to please - Copps, RFC, player, agent and selling club - all bar one (Copps) running everything past lawyers. It is also in the initerest of lawyers and the selling club to spin it out for as long as they can, were doing it with Harps etc... That way they'll get the best price.

Before relegation we would have been asking the prices of a different set of players as well.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jul 2008 14:54

Coppell's Right Footed 11 Brian Howard next monday after Harper has left for Bolton

Where have you heard that? He'd be a great signing if it were to be true though.

200 posts