Madejski being booed yesterday

330 posts
Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Madejski being booed yesterday

by Royal With Cheese » 31 Aug 2008 12:09

Do you think he's finally got the message?

Personally, I'm not sure what planet he's on - with eveything that's gone on and his comments a couple of weeks ago I would have thought the last place he would have wanted to be was on the pitch.

This deeply worries me. Either he's off his gourd or he genuinely feels that the supporters are stupid and will blindly support everything he does. Either option fills me, frankly, with dread.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Madejski being booed yesterday

by Schards#2 » 31 Aug 2008 12:13

Madejski deserves total respect for what he did from the moment he took over until about a year ago.

Since then, he's made it clear he wants out and his runnng of the club has reflected that. The suporters don't want out, they are still investing in the club season in and season out and rightly feel insulted by being asked by Madejski to up their game.

He been a hero of this club but Steve Bull is a Wolves legend and they don't play him up front any more.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 31 Aug 2008 12:20

Looks to me that there is a few fools in the crowd that choose to boo and hiss at the man that had made RFC what it is today.

For a man that admits he does not "know" much about football, he sure turns up at enough home and away matches to watch his team.

To all the fools that are complaining about his business sense in selling players and keeping the money, I have one players name for you...

Nicky Shorey

...now he persistently failed to impress last season and if we sold him when the price was higher we would have made far more money and there is a good chance that we may not have gone done if an enthusiastic left back had been put in his place.

Mr Madejski came on to rally some support and it was the same idiots that boo'd him that were also boo'ing John Oster.

John did not want to leave RFC, he was let go...

...if anything he should have been politely applauded for the services he has given the club.

I don't know what some of the fans are thinking at present, but Thou Voice would gladly slap a few around the chops, I tell you that.

We will be going up next season, I was saying this months ago - so lets not tolerate these plastic fans that boo and hiss and support the team that will return us to the Premiership...

...the problem is, I will miss the Championship. The one away again and all the home games I've seen this season at were great (not including the Charlton one on TV - But I still enjoyed that).

PEOPLE OF HNA, GET REAL AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM RATHER THEN ACTING LIKE A GROUP OF GRANDMOTHERS SITTING AROUND THE FIRE KNITTING AND CLUCKING LIKE HENS HOW YOU COULD DO BETTER.

You cannot...

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 31 Aug 2008 12:21

Schards#2 Madejski deserves total respect for what he did from the moment he took over until about a year ago.

Since then, he's made it clear he wants out and his runnng of the club has reflected that. The suporters don't want out, they are still investing in the club season in and season out and rightly feel insulted by being asked by Madejski to up their game.

He been a hero of this club but Steve Bull is a Wolves legend and they don't play him up front any more.

I know it kind of defeats the point of a discussion board, but I couldn't agree more with that.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2008 12:25

What are you bumbling on about Shorey for?? Do we know if West Ham actually made a firm offer for him, which the club deemed acceptable? I'm thinking not, or we would almost certainly have sold him.

Oster, sadly, wasn't a very good player. I didn't boo him. I didn't boo Madejski, nor did I applaud him however. Royal With Cheese is absolutely spot on I'm afraid, and I've already made my comments about this in the Back From the Game thread. I think it's insulting to us, the fans, who have shown our support by purely buying a ticket and turning up that he thinks he can tell us to "back the boys and give them our support today" or whatever that PA bloke was going on about.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 31 Aug 2008 12:26

Royal Lady What are you bumbling on about Shorey for??

He is a fine example of an underachiever last year because we did not let him go.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2008 12:30

Yes and did anyone come in with a firm, acceptable offer for him? I already asked you that and you haven't answered. I cannot believe for one minute that if some other club wanted to throw millions of pounds at us for him, that Mad wouldn't have insisted that Coppell let him go.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 31 Aug 2008 12:32

Royal Lady Yes and did anyone come in with a firm, acceptable offer for him? I already asked you that and you haven't answered. I cannot believe for one minute that if some other club wanted to throw millions of pounds at us for him, that Mad wouldn't have insisted that Coppell let him go.

Yes and no is probably the best answer to your worries.

Yes they came with and offer, but no it was not acceptable to the club.

The end result, an unsettled underachiever for the team - I am struggling to remember any match were he actually played well last year... :o :(

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 31 Aug 2008 12:32

Schards#2 Madejski deserves total respect for what he did from the moment he took over until about a year ago.

I'm not sure I agree with all of that.

Sometimes I think '05/'06 was despite Madejski, rather than because of him. The aquisition of Kevin Doyle was the main spark to that fantastic season. If Doyal was priced at, say, 2 million, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that Reading would not have bid for him. Lita at a million was about the strength of our ambition. That was an average fee for a striker in the Championship.

We have to face it - we've done well with low money signings.

I would say that since we've moved to the Mad Stad Madjeski has been quite happy to sign the odd player whilst spouting on about ambition. However, when the chips are down, he'd rather spend his money on paintings than players.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2008 12:33

I'm not arguing with your complaints against Shorey, merely questioning what that has to do with Madejski being booed yesterday and people getting slightly fed up with his antics of late.

Streets

by Streets » 31 Aug 2008 12:34

We all owe so much to JM but he like 8 or so players want/wanted out and he too is now part of the problem.

SC also said JM's comments about selling up are unsettling amongst the off field problems we still have with another 2-3 players still wanting out.

He doesn't seem to want to invest anymore and as a result we are going backwards.

I still find it hard to accept we finish within a hairs breath of European football and instead of pushing on we end up back in the Championship.
Then we're told we do not have to sell and we haven't stopped selling our best players, with Doyle and Hunt still likely to go before Monday night.

I can't clap him anymore, I can't chant his name anymore and I certainly wont applaud him anymore.

I respect him for saving this football club in its darkest days and I've enjoyed the ride and been with him for almost as long as he's been here, but his heart isn't in it anymore and his feet are off the pedals.

Where are we heading? The next 48 hours will tell us.

Sadly if we lose Doyle and/or Hunt we are really screwed and this season will just be about blooding the kids and reaching mid-table security, hopefully with a new buyer on the horizon before JM costs us even further.

You can't fault what he has done here, the man is a legend as far as this football club is concerned, but he wants out, he isn't putting in the investment we need to continue our development and in fact we are seemingly going backwards still.

I don't agree with booing but in this instance, better boo JM than the team.

I'd still prefer we just turn around 180 degrees and not clap. Just fall silent. If enough do it he'll certainly get the message, and more effective than a childish boo.

Streets

by Streets » 31 Aug 2008 12:35

Royal With Cheese
Sometimes I think '05/'06 was despite Madejski, rather than because of him. The aquisition of Kevin Doyle was the main spark to that fantastic season. If Doyal was priced at, say, 2 million, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that Reading would not have bid for him. Lita at a million was about the strength of our ambition. That was an average fee for a striker in the Championship.

We have to face it - we've done well with low money signings.

I would say that since we've moved to the Mad Stad Madjeski has been quite happy to sign the odd player whilst spouting on about ambition. However, when the chips are down, he'd rather spend his money on paintings than players.

'greed.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 31 Aug 2008 12:36

Royal Lady I'm not arguing with your complaints against Shorey, merely questioning what that has to do with Madejski being booed yesterday and people getting slightly fed up with his antics of late.

Yes, I'm confused too. I made no direct reference to any player. In fact, Shorey is the one transfer I waqs hoping would go through as his heart clearly wasn't in the club any more. It's a pity he couldn't maintain the same professionalism as Sidwell but I'm sure his bank balance will more than compensate for this.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 31 Aug 2008 12:38

Royal Lady I'm not arguing with your complaints against Shorey, merely questioning what that has to do with Madejski being booed yesterday and people getting slightly fed up with his antics of late.

Ah!

Well I believer that people see the "firesell" of current players as a reason to boo our Chairman. Kitson, Shorey, Superman and the release of several others is our Chairman trying to release as much money back to himself.

Why?

The reason these people have gone is if you do not let them go, you end up with a Shorey situation and surely it's better to make some money rather then have underachievers wondering around the pitch for a year.

You can see the difference between players like Sidwell and Shorey, Sidwell was a professional and played his heart out while Shorey was too intent to sit back and do nothing. Literally.

I think Shorey performance cost us the Premiership last year and if he had tried a little harder, it would have been the fools at Fulham that would have fallen into the vat of fizzy pop.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Aug 2008 12:39

Streets We all owe so much to JM but he like 8 or so players want/wanted out and he too is now part of the problem.

SC also said JM's comments about selling up are unsettling amongst the off field problems we still have with another 2-3 players still wanting out.

He doesn't seem to want to invest anymore and as a result we are going backwards.

I still find it hard to accept we finish within a hairs breath of European football and instead of pushing on we end up back in the Championship.
Then we're told we do not have to sell and we haven't stopped selling our best players, with Doyle and Hunt still likely to go before Monday night.

I can't clap him anymore, I can't chant his name anymore and I certainly wont applaud him anymore.

I respect him for saving this football club in its darkest days and I've enjoyed the ride and been with him for almost as long as he's been here, but his heart isn't in it anymore and his feet are off the pedals.

Where are we heading? The next 48 hours will tell us.

Sadly if we lose Doyle and/or Hunt we are really screwed and this season will just be about blooding the kids and reaching mid-table security, hopefully with a new buyer on the horizon before JM costs us even further.

You can't fault what he has done here, the man is a legend as far as this football club is concerned, but he wants out, he isn't putting in the investment we need to continue our development and in fact we are seemingly going backwards still.

I don't agree with booing but in this instance, better boo JM than the team.

I'd still prefer we just turn around 180 degrees and not clap. Just fall silent. If enough do it he'll certainly get the message, and more effective than a childish boo.

Good post. Agree with all you say.

Re the other posts on here about Shorey.. Yes West Ham and Reading had agreed terms(according to Curbishley anyway) but the deal was subject to our finding a replacement left back...as this didn't happen the deal fell through.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Aug 2008 12:40

Thou Voice I am struggling to remember any match were he actually played well last year... :o :(

Man Utd home, even though we lost 2-0 twas a good game, I thought Kitson should've been picked on the back of that match, Coppello was there and everything!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2008 12:41

Yes. I agree with that, too - but the fact remains it is NOT the fact we're selling off players who don't want to be here, it's the fact we're either not replacing them at all, or when we do buy a player, it's on the cheap. Isn't it?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 31 Aug 2008 12:41

I can't help applauding Mr Mad when he comes out before the match because I feel it's a way of showing support for the entire team. Whether money is going to be spent on the team or not seems a bit irrelevant at that moment.

I'd like to see him occasionally stand up and wave his scarf around or something when he's up in his seat a bit more to set an example of 'backing the boys and making some noise' rather than just telling everyone else what to do - although I accept that maybe the chairman shouldn't start pointing at the ref and shouting 'you don't know what you're doing'. Having said that, a lot of managers seem to get away with it.

Of course, if it's proved he's embezzled money out of the club or something like that, I'm not going to cheer am I?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 31 Aug 2008 12:43

Sarah Star I can't help applauding Mr Mad when he comes out before the match because I feel it's a way of showing support for the entire team. Whether money is going to be spent on the team or not seems a bit irrelevant at that moment.

And that's one of the reasons women shouldn't be allowed to go to football...............

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Aug 2008 12:43

Agree RL although SC is still working miracles within such constraints.

330 posts