Multiball

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Multiball

by Dirk Gently » 20 Sep 2008 18:01

For those who've been listening to BBCRB, Mick Gooding has been talking absolute bollox about Multiball.

The referee can tell a team to discontinue with multiball if it's not working - for example, if there are 2 balls on the pitch at any one time in the match. That's clearly what happened today, same as it happened on Tuesday v Sheffield Wednesday.

All this talk about Watford officials "cheating" is utterly wrong. I wonder if he'll ever be big enough to apologise to them.....

hellopremiership

Re: Multiball

by hellopremiership » 20 Sep 2008 18:02

MuLOLtibaLOLOL
Hth

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Sep 2008 18:10

It was terrible to be frank. Did the radio comment on what the Watford Ball Boys were doing ?

Putting the balls back in the bags to stop us from playing on. But we got our own back :wink:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 Sep 2008 18:14

LoyalRoyalFan It was terrible to be frank. Did the radio comment on what the Watford Ball Boys were doing ?

Yep, but it won't have been Watford's choice to do that - it would have been the referee's.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Sep 2008 18:18

Dirk Gently
LoyalRoyalFan It was terrible to be frank. Did the radio comment on what the Watford Ball Boys were doing ?

Yep, but it won't have been Watford's choice to do that - it would have been the referee's.

I swear the 4th Offical was talking to one of the ball boys telling him to get them out again. After that he did get them out.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 20 Sep 2008 18:21

To be honest some of our ballboys just seem to throw the ball on without really thinking and its often stopped!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Sep 2008 18:22

Super_horns To be honest some of our ballboys just seem to throw the ball on without really thinking and its often stopped!

We use the mulitball system,but we don't get a 2nd ball on the pitch every 5 minutes.
:lol:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Sep 2008 19:14

I can confirm that Reading were reported to the FA for 'mususe of the multiball system' after the Sheffield Wednesday game.

You have no reason to believe my word because I am essentially just some bloke on a website but, well, I actually know we were reported.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Sep 2008 19:16

soggy biscuit I can confirm that Reading were reported to the FA for 'mususe of the multiball system' after the Sheffield Wednesday game.

You have no reason to believe my word because I am essentially just some bloke on a website but, well, I actually know we were reported.

We didn't abuse it though, Brian Laws did.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 20 Sep 2008 19:21

The thing is the multiball only became a problem when watford were drawing or winning in the game, when watford were 2-1 it happened 3 times.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Sep 2008 19:21

SCIAG We didn't abuse it though.

Correct, we didn't abuse it. We misused it and as such have been reported to the FA.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Sep 2008 19:32

Its another oversight of bias from the referee again. Basically, when Watford were behind and chasing the game the system was in place thus allowing Watford to get that extra few seconds when restarting play. However when Reading were behind we were forced to wait for the ball, and this gave the Watford players time to regroup.

Although I agree that the Watford officials were not cheating, there was definately some 'foul play' from employees of Watford who repeatedly threw the ball onto the pitch whilst Reading were in possession.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Sep 2008 19:59

soggy biscuit

Correct, we didn't abuse it. We misused it and as such have been reported to the FA.

We didn't misuse it then. The only time there were two balls on the pitch was when Brian Laws threw one on. I think you're on a wind up.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Sep 2008 20:01

"Foul play"..."cheating"...what's the feckin difference. Dirk, what are you the most "reasonable" man in the world? Of course it was cheating. It only happened when they needed to slow the game down or generally when it was to their advantage.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 20 Sep 2008 20:04

I remember thinking during the first half how insanely fast the balls were being thrown to players when it went out of play...

Then the second half we the opposite...

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Sep 2008 20:12

I think the multiball is great, but the rules around it are bloody terrible.

So what if two balls are on the pitch at the same time, they are almost never in the same place and so it doesnt interfere with play
(i.e. play has moved on by the time the 2nd ball bounces onto the pitch)

Just ignore it and let the ball boy run on and get it.

Typical of football authorities....slow on the uptake and implement things half-arsed

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Sep 2008 20:36

SCIAG
soggy biscuit

We didn't misuse it then. The only time there were two balls on the pitch was when Brian Laws threw one on. I think you're on a wind up.

Happened twice during the match and the second time was the Laws one, though Laws only threw it back on as there was already 2 balls on the pitch.

Clubs are told how to use multiball and what rules they must stick to, we didn't stick to them.

As I said before, you have no reason to believe me as I am just some bloke on a website, but I do know for a fact that we were reported for it.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 20 Sep 2008 20:40

SCIAG
soggy biscuit

Actually, someone from the West Stand threw that ball onto the pitch. Hunt knocked it off and then Laws threw it back on.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Sep 2008 12:03

Surely the game has to be stopped if anyone other that the players and the ref are on the pitch. If a ballboy/girl (person, i must remain PC!) they could inadvertantly intefere with play.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 Sep 2008 13:31

Clubs licensed to use the Multiball system for season 2008/09
Birmingham City
Brighton & Hove Albion
Chester City
Blackpool
Colchester United
Chesterfield
Bristol City