Shhh! We're Reading.

58 posts
Half Man Half Biscuit

Shhh! We're Reading.

by Half Man Half Biscuit » 30 Nov 2008 21:32

We just don't make enough noise at the Mad Stad. Our fans were virtually comatose last week-end when we entertained Saints.

They might have spent most of this season skulking around the lower reaches of The Premier League, but Stoke (and Tottenham) can at least lay claim to having the noisiest supporters, according to readings taken by Sky+HD engineers.*

Stoke City weighed in at the top of the table with a massive 101.8 decibels, the only Prem club to make it past the 100 mark.

It shows with their home record. They've beaten Arsenal, Villa and Spurs at the Britannia Stadium and have won as many home games as Liverpool and Man United.

There is nobody in the Premier League to have won more games on their home turf.

Let's face it the Potters are one hell of a noisy bunch and it is translating on to the pitch with some good performances.

*FourFourTwo January 2009

S09Royal

Re: Shhh! We're Reading.

by S09Royal » 30 Nov 2008 21:44

I wonder if we could get some of the Stoke fans on loan then :roll:

You, or wherever this was taken from, have compared Reading to a team playing in the PL this season.
Im sure we were just as loud when we beat Liverpool at home last December and i also think that we would be louder than we are if we were beating, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs at home and in the PL.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 30 Nov 2008 21:51

Also, this is probably entirely due to the vomit inducing "Delilah" song that they so annoyingly and embarrasingly insist on signing.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 30 Nov 2008 21:59

what u expect when clive doyle n his cronies turn the place in to a graveyard

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 30 Nov 2008 21:59

Shouldn't this be in the 'Who gives a shit' forum?

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 30 Nov 2008 22:22

I agree with you. There is a complete lack of noise at our home games. I'm one of only about 5 people near me who sing, and 2 of those sit next to me. I used to try and motivate people to stand and sing on here, and my comments were met with nothing but hostility and sarcasm.

Perhaps we're a town full of middle class people who don't like to stand out from the crowd, or perhaps we have a town full extra-ordinarily shy people.

It would be good to get a big following, to start really making some noise, to start filling away ends on our travels and really pushing out team on.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 30 Nov 2008 22:31

Shevchenko I agree with you. There is a complete lack of noise at our home games. I'm one of only about 5 people near me who sing, and 2 of those sit next to me. I used to try and motivate people to stand and sing on here, and my comments were met with nothing but hostility and sarcasm.

Perhaps we're a town full of middle class people who don't like to stand out from the crowd, or perhaps we have a town full extra-ordinarily shy people.

It would be good to get a big following, to start really making some noise, to start filling away ends on our travels and really pushing out team on.

When do u sit chup ,you can come and join the group of four people who 'sing' and 'chant' by me.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Nov 2008 23:03

These threads just annoy me, for a start I have to believe that if you're hanging around this forum you're probably one of the people singing in the first place so telling people to make noise isn't likely to have much impact :roll:

Besides for every 'Stoke are great because of their fans' there are just as many Sheffield Wednesdays and Leeds Uniteds out there who have 'loud' support and are still awful.

The Mad Stad has never been loud, the same way that two sides of Elm Park were usually pretty quiet (except for special games and midweek matches). Not everybody wants to go and sing and chant, they just want to watch the game and back the boys by turning up and forking out money to help pay for wages/transfer fees. Sure having a noisy support would be great but quit banging on about it.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 30 Nov 2008 23:18

how many of these ridiculous threads are there going to be. like that stupid pompey one the other day. they were playing bl**dy AC milan at home! and im pretty sure stoke city were not making the same amount of noise last season when they had barnsley or blackpool at home than they are now playin arsenal, chelsea etc.

seriously get over it! are vocal support was great at brizzie city and cardiff last week. as much as people can try and encourage people to sing it wont work. people sing at football if they want to. some people dont like to sing, they pay there money and watch our club. what would you rather want: an empty seat or a fan who doesnt sing. i remember seasons ago there was a chant list which went round the west stand. did it work? clearly not. will the west stand ever be pongoing all over the place? no! but they come and support our team everyweek and probably have been for years!

at the end of the day people shouting encouragement does more than chanting. at cardiff last week everyone that was there was basically a 12th man (well an 11th man anyway). and that wasnt because of the chanting thats because we were there shouting every ball out of our box and backing the lads and that will probably be the best point we have earnt all season given the circumstances.

this post may sound silly to some but to others it wont.

people will sing if they want to but if they dont at least they are their to support the lads!

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 30 Nov 2008 23:26

I didnt think stoke were that loud. Whenever i've heard them on TV they sound pretty average tbh.

Royal Boil

by Royal Boil » 30 Nov 2008 23:55

East stand loud, West stand quiet,North stand - nobody really knows. When was it ever different?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Dec 2008 10:01

I am officially bored of threads about noise.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Dec 2008 10:27

east stand = quiet
west stand = quiet
north stand = quiet
south stand = loudest

its the stadium set up and stewarding fault. Simple solution, put the fans who want to make noise and back the boys VOCALLY in y26 and y25 to create much needed atmosphere. the rest can disperse throughout the rest of the stadium.

If this was put in place instead of idiot stewarding having a go at people standing up even though they sit at the back of the stadium is stupid.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Dec 2008 10:29

loyalroyal4life put the fans who want to make noise and back the boys VOCALLY in y26 and y25 to create much needed atmosphere. the rest can disperse throughout the rest of the stadium.

Er, isn't this the current set up?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Dec 2008 10:37

Row Z Royal
loyalroyal4life put the fans who want to make noise and back the boys VOCALLY in y26 and y25 to create much needed atmosphere. the rest can disperse throughout the rest of the stadium.

Er, isn't this the current set up?

Lol no where do you sit? It was working towards this way but now for some stupid idea unknown to mankind the stewards are actually looking to put less vocal or neutral fans in y26!! They really don't help our efforts of at least trying to generate an atmosphere, spurs are a good example of a club who have a similar set up working well.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 01 Dec 2008 10:43

Not being funny but sky+hd engineers can only judge by what they hear through there microphones.
Going from memory, when we had televised premiership matches on Sky, they always had microphones infrom of the away south. Not all the time were the microphones infront of the loudest part of the east.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Dec 2008 10:44

Perhaps we could have a singing area.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Dec 2008 11:00

Norfolk Royal Perhaps we could have a singing area.

exactly y26 and y25!!! its what spurs have!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Dec 2008 11:07

There's nothing wrong with this thread

What IS wrong is the massive abuse starting such threads gets, which is indicative of the real problem with Reading fans...

We're largely a bunch of Southern Softies who hate the idea of being too passionate. Even talking about it makes us cringe let alone actually opening our mouths, risking our affluent posh southern reserved reputations and joining in with a chant or two except for when we're winning 4-0 at home perhaps.

What's the use of such threads which happen to point out one of the most important shortcomings of our beloved club? The more we point it out and discuss it the more likely it is we'll actually do something about it, whether it be a singing section, better acoustics, shifting stands, 'bringing back the southbank' etc etc...

unfortunately any such thread here will result in you being told to "shut and and be quiet", just as is the case pretty much on the stands.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Dec 2008 11:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup There's nothing wrong with this thread

Yes, there is. It's boring.

58 posts