Back from the game, Barnsley

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game, Barnsley

by RobRoyal » 06 Dec 2008 19:15

What a gutsy and committed performance. Duberry and Ingi were near faultless all game, Cisse put in some immense tackles, Shunt and Doyle linked well towards the end. Plaudits to Doyle for chasing down a lost cause for the goal. Even with 10 men we always looked the more likely winners. Well done lads! And to make up 2 points on Wolves is a big bonus.

Excellent support throughout - completely embarrassed the silent home fans.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game, Barnsley

by Muskrat » 06 Dec 2008 19:18

RobRoyal What a gutsy and committed performance. Duberry and Ingi were near faultless all game, Cisse put in some immense tackles, Shunt and Doyle linked well towards the end. Plaudits to Doyle for chasing down a lost cause for the goal. Even with 10 men we always looked the more likely winners. Well done lads! And to make up 2 points on Wolves is a big bonus.

3 points, Shirley?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 06 Dec 2008 19:29

Muskrat
RobRoyal What a gutsy and committed performance. Duberry and Ingi were near faultless all game, Cisse put in some immense tackles, Shunt and Doyle linked well towards the end. Plaudits to Doyle for chasing down a lost cause for the goal. Even with 10 men we always looked the more likely winners. Well done lads! And to make up 2 points on Wolves is a big bonus.

3 points, Shirley?

maybe he thinks they drew :lol:

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 06 Dec 2008 19:47

Muskrat

3 points, Shirley?

3 points. Brilliant. We'll be top by 10pm at this rate :wink:

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 06 Dec 2008 20:52

When we take 18 from 21 during december we will be right behind the leader, on the bridle and looking around. 8)

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 06 Dec 2008 21:17

Wasn't there but wish i was!

Hopefully we win our next few games at home and beat Birmingham away so we can add massive pressure to the top two!

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 06 Dec 2008 21:22

great performance where again the ref tried ruining the game for us.

saw the bus breaking down first hand in the rear view mirror, we drove past it and saw the white smoke coming out the back and next thing we see in the rear view mirror is it pulling onto the side of the m1. very strange!

great away support today too! possibly the best chip butty with mushy peas i have ever had! bryn is an absolute reading legend as he always does a job for us and the amount of important goals he has netted for us now is crazy!

two other points that i dont know if people saw:

1- when walking off at half time Dillon getting the crowd to boo the ref, i had no problem booing the ref as i was already doing it but just have never seen a member of management team encourage that before.

2- harps , when he walked off the pitch at the end of the match he looked very angry and when dillon went to shake his hand he shrugged it off, wonder why this is? i thought he played well today and did alright down the right with the only wrong thing he did being not reaching out for the ball that went across the goal line but to be honest from where i was i couldnt tell how close he really was. maybe it was because he got moved to the right?

rankings:

Marcus: 9 - faultless today, a lot of balls were being launched into are box and he dealt with all of them very well

stretch:8 - solid performance, made some big tackles. few nice link up plays with hunty down left
rosie: 7 - not as productive without kebe down the right and some wayward clearences however did make some good challenges and we got a clean sheet!
doooooobs:9- brilliant, how anyone can slate this man is beyond me, was solid, won everything in the air, made great tackles. currently in control of bikeys place
ivar: 8- another good performance, good tackles and good in air

shunty: 8 - worked very hard, good tackles, good link ups with stretch. delivery good
cisse: 8 - big tackles, dominated centre of park
harps:8 - put himself about and adapted well to being moved to right flank. should have scored
kebe: cant really give him a mark, shouldnt of been sent off. one great run and hit the post

nunty:7 - good in air, made their keeper make a great save, quiet in patches
doyler 9- workrate brilliant, made bryns goal

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 06 Dec 2008 21:26

bottom left hand corner Wasn't there but wish i was!

Hopefully we win our next few games at home and beat Birmingham away so we can add massive pressure to the top two!

We could be in the top 2 before the away game against Brum :wink:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Dec 2008 21:54

What a terrific result and an excellent day at a friendly football club. Ironically, for the second away game in succession we played better with 10 men than we did 11. The sending off occurred at the other end of the pitch from where the Reading fans were gathered so I didn't have a great view of the Kebe incident so will reserve judgement, suffice to say it looked a soft one. Shame really as Kebe was proving our only real spark in a very sluggish opening 45, but this should now open the door to James Henry; he has waited patiently for a chance and if he performs in the next three games he keeps the shirt, simple as.

Second half performance was excellent in the circumstances; men behind the ball with Duberry imperious at the back and Cisse - already on a booking IIRC - timing every challenge to perfection. Doyle again ploughed a lone furrow up front and was marvellous; robbing the Barnsley left back to put Gunnarsson's ultimately rather spawny goal on a plate, it bobbled agonisingly in to uproarous jubilation behind the goal! Doyle had an excellent chance when robbing the same left back and screwed his chance into the side netting, Harper really should have got the finishing touch at the end of an excellent move down the left flank involving (IIRC) SHunt and Armstrong and in the end it could and should have been 2 or 3 nil. Credit to Hahnemann however for a stunning save to keep out a piledriven effort low into the corner which I had given up as a goal early in the second half and for coming and dominating his area and taking crosses and loose balls in a way in which I don't think he has done so well recently.

6 points out of 6 so far in our run of 4 games against midtable opposition, this kind of form will set us up very nicely for a very difficult looking set of Christmas fixtures. Well done Reading, superb effort.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 06 Dec 2008 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 06 Dec 2008 21:55

S09Royal

These are the next few fictures.

Plymouth v Birmingham, 19:45 Lose/Draw
Preston v Birmingham, 17:20 Lose/Draw
Reading v Blackpool, Win
Reading v Norwich, Win
Birmingham v Reading, 12:45

Yes i can see that with there next few matches very difficult for them

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 06 Dec 2008 21:57

RobRoyal 3 points. Brilliant. We'll be top by 10pm at this rate :wink:

Gained 5 points on Wolves in the week. That's made the top of the table look much more satisfying 8)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Dec 2008 22:00

A most enjoyable day out with a cracking result.

Highlight of the day : Floyd being left with nothing to moan about. :wink:

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 06 Dec 2008 22:01

bottom left hand corner
S09Royal

These are the next few fictures.

Plymouth v Birmingham, 19:45 Lose/Draw
Preston v Birmingham, 17:20 Lose/Draw
Reading v Blackpool, Win
Reading v Norwich, Win
Birmingham v Reading, 12:45

Yes i can see that with there next few matches very difficult for them

Anything can happen in football and it usually does.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Dec 2008 22:03

Dirk Gently Highlight of the day : Floyd being left with nothing to moan about. :wink:

Highlight of the day: Steak pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy. East Dene Working Man's Club >>>>>>>>>> The Jazz Cafe.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Dec 2008 22:10

The most promising thing is that this team is starting to show that they are able to dig in and show character when things are going against them.

It's all very well banging 6 in on a sunny MadStad evening in early September against a crap team, but in the last three matches we've snatched a crucial 4 points when down to 10 men, as well as coming back from being a goal down to actually win a game.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 06 Dec 2008 22:37

not sure if this has ready been said elsewere but is kebe's ban mean he has a 3 match ban or 2 at this time off year

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 06 Dec 2008 22:38

What a performance today

the whole team dug in and were committed

defense was strong wiv a stand out perfomance from armstrong who was fantastic

wasnt sure bout the kebe sending off, ill ave to look at that on the championship tmz

Only poor peformance today was harper, who i think has been poor the last 3 games now maybe its time for marek in and harper benched?

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 06 Dec 2008 22:43

hughsies no.1 1- when walking off at half time Dillon getting the crowd to boo the ref, i had no problem booing the ref as i was already doing it but just have never seen a member of management team encourage that before.

Saw that too, made me laugh.

hughsies no.1 2- harps , when he walked off the pitch at the end of the match he looked very angry and when dillon went to shake his hand he shrugged it off, wonder why this is? i thought he played well today and did alright down the right with the only wrong thing he did being not reaching out for the ball that went across the goal line but to be honest from where i was i couldnt tell how close he really was. maybe it was because he got moved to the right?

I did notice he looked oddly peeved at full time, and didn't give the celebrating fans as much attention as you'd expect. Hope it isn't anything too serious.

floyd__streete Cisse - already on a booking IIRC - timing every challenge to perfection.

Indeed - he was booked for an awful tackle early on, and seriously ran close to the wind for the rest of the game. All credit to him, though. He didn't shirk from putting his foot in when necessary, and got everything spot on. His success in breaking up Barnsley possessions and putting pressure on them was crucial to the win. He's a real asset to the first 11 at the moment, something i wouldn't have expected at the start of the season.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 06 Dec 2008 22:48

1- when walking off at half time Dillon getting the crowd to boo the ref, i had no problem booing the ref as i was already doing it but just have never seen a member of management team encourage that before.

I thoguht that was funny Dillon obviously was appuled with the decision like us and getting us on the reffs back was brill!!

despite i was already booing

My stuff was moved on coach 3 as it picked up the sqaud from the M1

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 06 Dec 2008 22:52

What a great day out!

Great result despite a poor game.