Back from the game, Barnsley

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game, Barnsley

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Dec 2008 08:51

The 17 Bus And the back from the game thread is one of the ones worth reading on The Team section, but now it gets ruined weekly by comments from ppl not at the game, personaly I want OKIB and Mr A back on these threads, not people discussing what was said on the radio, it is BACK FROM THE GAME, easy really.

Most of this thread should be deleted as off topic.

So, 17, what you're saying is that only people who went to the game can comment? Can others who didn't not comment on the comments on the one's that did?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Dec 2008 09:09

Royal With Cheese
The 17 Bus And the back from the game thread is one of the ones worth reading on The Team section, but now it gets ruined weekly by comments from ppl not at the game, personaly I want OKIB and Mr A back on these threads, not people discussing what was said on the radio, it is BACK FROM THE GAME, easy really.

Most of this thread should be deleted as off topic.

So, 17, what you're saying is that only people who went to the game can comment? Can others who didn't not comment on the comments on the one's that did?

Not quite cheesey, but ones like this Wasn't there but wish i was!

Hopefully we win our next few games at home and beat Birmingham away so we can add massive pressure to the top two!

just divert the whole thing away from the point of the thread, there is room on others for those comments, usually with names like,
We Will Never Make The Top Two
, or
Top Two beyond Our Reach
12 point gap down to 7 in two games, how good is that??

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 09:20

readingbedding
bishbosh92 What a performance today

the whole team dug in and were committed

defense was strong wiv a stand out perfomance from armstrong who was fantastic

wasnt sure bout the kebe sending off, ill ave to look at that on the championship tmz

Only poor peformance today was harper, who i think has been poor the last 3 games now maybe its time for marek in and harper benched?

I agre Coppel needs to drop harpz coz he looks v v tired, marek wil leave if coppell don't play him.
not sure that Coppel will drop harpz tho, coz he seems to rate him lots.
Deffinatly this goes back to the managers favorites thread and harps deffinatly is one of them so its unlikely hell be dropped

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Dec 2008 09:27

bishbosh92
readingbedding
bishbosh92 What a performance today

the whole team dug in and were committed

defense was strong wiv a stand out perfomance from armstrong who was fantastic

wasnt sure bout the kebe sending off, ill ave to look at that on the championship tmz

Only poor peformance today was harper, who i think has been poor the last 3 games now maybe its time for marek in and harper benched?

I agre Coppel needs to drop harpz coz he looks v v tired, marek wil leave if coppell don't play him.
not sure that Coppel will drop harpz tho, coz he seems to rate him lots.
Deffinatly this goes back to the managers favorites thread and harps deffinatly is one of them so its unlikely hell be dropped

Deffinatly
gd spot.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 07 Dec 2008 10:08

Just got back to Leicester.

Great day out. Good solid performance. Night out in Wombwell (Proper glamour!) then Sheffield, top banana!

Didn't see much of the Kebe sending off, but it seems like just looking at somebody with a slightly menacing demeanor can be construed as violent conduct these days!

Can't really fault anyones performance, and god, will you idiots lay off Harper. Just because he wasn't mentioned every 30 seconds on the radio, it doesn't mean he had a bad game! It's a team game you idiots!

Good to see Curo. Proper Reading legend. And thankfully, he looked pretty toothless in a distinctly average team.

All in all, 9/10

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 07 Dec 2008 11:25

Excellent result, well deserved and the sort of matches upon which promotion can be won or lost. The first one-nil win of the season and the defence fully merited their clean sheet bonus today.

Barnsley are one of the weaker teams I've seen this season, but it was still going to difficult with 10 men for the best part of an hour. The sending off was a little harsh, but Kebe should know better than to raise his hands when the referee was within 5 paces. Shame for him because he had the beating of their defenders, as exemplified by a splendid run which nearly set Doyle up.

The manner in which the team acquitted themselves after having to switch to 4-4-1 was superb - tenacity and spirit to the fore. Cisse and the two centre backs fought manfully for every ball and deserve much credit. In addition, Marcus looked very comfortable throughout and was particularly strong on crosses. But I have to give a special mention to Doyle, who despite being left isolated for long periods never once gave up on a lost cause and continually hassled the Barnsley defence, typified by the assist.

Fantastic result, solid performance and good support from Number 13, all in all a very good day out!

mg1976royal

by mg1976royal » 07 Dec 2008 11:42

Just seen all the highlights on the Championship all 2 off them. :roll:

Even with the use of sky+ to watch the Kebe sending off a few times I couldn't see much in the incident. If this was the only camera to have recorded the sending off I can't see there being an appeal by the club.

Good effort by Doyle to chase down and win the ball in the corner and cool finish from the iceman.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 07 Dec 2008 12:17

Pretty much agree with what floyd wrote - top day out finshed off with a hard earned 3 points.

One thing I'd like to point out to the chav army stood at the back: If we are 1-0 up, down to ten men and there is only a few minutes left of the game then GET BEHIND THE FCUKING TEAM and leave your puerile obsession with stewards to another day.

RFCBoy

by RFCBoy » 07 Dec 2008 12:30

Great result yesterday, had to dig deep to over come a very gutsey Barnsley outfit. Felt we shaded it overall with the defence rewarded for their efforts with another fine display. Doobs motm :D

URZ!!!!

2 videos from yesterdays game, not the best but oh well.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ciZUAqZ4gAU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=paRkVL80ins

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 07 Dec 2008 12:30

I must say that from yesterdays result we showed real fight and dtermination especially being away from home with 10 men and winning the game. Doyle up top was class. Chased down every ball and was a constant threat. Cisse again I'm impressed with and thought his booking was a bit harsh as it was his first foul. Stretch yet again was solid, what an excellent signing he was.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 12:32

Ginger Ninjas Excellent result, well deserved and the sort of matches upon which promotion can be won or lost. The first one-nil win of the season and the defence fully merited their clean sheet bonus today.

Barnsley are one of the weaker teams I've seen this season, but it was still going to difficult with 10 men for the best part of an hour. The sending off was a little harsh, but Kebe should know better than to raise his hands when the referee was within 5 paces. Shame for him because he had the beating of their defenders, as exemplified by a splendid run which nearly set Doyle up.

The manner in which the team acquitted themselves after having to switch to 4-4-1 was superb - tenacity and spirit to the fore. Cisse and the two centre backs fought manfully for every ball and deserve much credit. In addition, Marcus looked very comfortable throughout and was particularly strong on crosses. But I have to give a special mention to Doyle, who despite being left isolated for long periods never once gave up on a lost cause and continually hassled the Barnsley defence, typified by the assist.

Fantastic result, solid performance and good support from Number 13, all in all a very good day out!

I think we're a team that going down to 10 men can actually help against slightly lesser teams. We still have an excellent counter attacking team and our entire defensive system seems to revolve around dropping back into our half and defending the 18 yard box. Let the other team play it around at the half way line but squeeze them for space where they can hurt us.

Thats why we quite often have less possesion but end up never really being threatened by the other team.

So when we go down to 10 men the opposition come on to us confident they can do something and win the game rather than trying frustrate us to get draw and maybe sneak something. We can still play our normal game, maybe a little more defensive and exploit the extra space at the back with the pace of people like Kebe, Doyle, SHunt, Harper and co.

DaveM

by DaveM » 07 Dec 2008 12:37

Great result, great atmosphere and great day out.

Here's a picture for those who couldn't make it (click on it to make bigger):

BTW - Did anyone see the object thrown at the linesman by Barnsley fans, that subsequently ended up on the pitch?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Dec 2008 13:55

Great result but I have to disagree with people that are saying the team played well. We were solid at the bad but never really got our passing going, Barnsley gave us no time and closed down well when we had the ball, we backed off them and gave them time and space. We were lucky they had nothing in the final third.

Doyler did well for the goal, but that was typical of the hopeful punt down the channels for him to chase and make something of.

Can someone explain what happened with the team coach? Did a Star coach go back to pick the players up? It can't have been a very good way for the team to prepare before the game, so that and the outrageous sending off made this an outstanding 3 points.

Has anyone mentioned it was cold.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 13:58

PieEater Great result but I have to disagree with people that are saying the team played well. We were solid at the bad but never really got our passing going, Barnsley gave us no time and closed down well when we had the ball, we backed off them and gave them time and space. We were lucky they had nothing in the final third.
Doyler did well for the goal, but that was typical of the hopeful punt down the channels for him to chase and make something of.

Can someone explain what happened with the team coach? Did a Star coach go back to pick the players up? It can't have been a very good way for the team to prepare before the game, so that and the outrageous sending off made this an outstanding 3 points.

Has anyone mentioned it was cold.

It's amazing how many teams we back off and let play yet have nothing in the final third. I wonder, could it be that that is the way we defend? By packing the defence around the 18 yard box so there's no easy way to create a chance?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Dec 2008 14:02

More likely they had two new strikers, Maken and Curo.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 14:14

PieEater More likely they had two new strikers, Maken and Curo.

So does that also apply to Coventry and Forest off the top of my head? Bar a good free kick neither of them created anything of note chances wise against us. What about Plymouth? Wednesday? Wolves? Swansea? QPR? Derby? Sheff U?

I didn't get to see a lot of those games unfortunately and I'm sure they aren't all relevant, but none of them scored against us either.

It's the way we've tried to defend for the last 3 or 4 years. Against Prem teams who can turn defence into attack in an instant and have the quality to unlock even the mot stubborn defence and punish a minor mistake, it didn't work too well. At a Championship level it works pretty well IMO.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 07 Dec 2008 14:24

Considering all the events of yesterdays game, the bus, Kebe off etc....... that was prpbably our best away performance of the season, Barnsley arnt that bad an outfit so to go there with all those distractions and come away with the three points was nothing short of outstanding. Pleased to hear on the TV reports that Duberry was top quality and led his defense well, with no disrespect to Bikey, who can play centre back or midfield, to have a genuine, experienced, CB in the side can only be a good thing, I thought he looked a little off the pace against Coventry but in this game he appears to have had all the aces to make it a pretty comfortable afternoon for USA in between the sticks. Two home matches now so lets just trust that we can push on, we have been a little off the boil the last few matches, in making chances for our strikers, but that just shows the quality of a side, when not firing on all cylanders, still picking up valuable points.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Dec 2008 21:40

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere yet but that was our first 1-0 win of the season 8) Sometimes you got win games the ugly way and though we had plenty more decent chances, a few of those for the rest of the season won't be a problem :P

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 21:46

RG30 Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere yet but that was our first 1-0 win of the season 8) Sometimes you got win games the ugly way and though we had plenty more decent chances, a few of those for the rest of the season won't be a problem :P
Agrred there barnsley keeper made a few gd stops so it coulda been more.

but its always nice to have a few games where u have to dig in and win the hard way.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Dec 2008 21:54

DaveM BTW - Did anyone see the object thrown at the linesman by Barnsley fans, that subsequently ended up on the pitch?

It was one of the Lucozade Sport bottles that the officials had by the side of the pitch. I don't think it was thrown, I think it was kicked by one of the players as they went off the pitch, rather than being anything malicious.