Marek... a debate

162 posts
Toadie

Marek... a debate

by Toadie » 09 Dec 2008 23:44

I just don't see what he offers to the team.

Tonight I saw a collection of passes which were loose, a less than industrious defensive performance, and in general a player who does not fit into that side.

Over the last 3 or 4 years, our best football has been played by attacking down the flanks. The Shorey/Hunt/Armstrong/Convey combinations down the left, the Murty/Rosenior/Little/Kebe combos down the right. Our wide players have always given us the edge over other teams.

Whilst I'm not doubting that he's a competent player (in the right formation), I don't get the hype that goes with him. Tonight there were passes that he made for which it would be ridiculous to expect players of our standard to be on the end of. It's almost as if his 'vision' is two steps ahead of the rest of the team.

Unless there's a great change of tactic by the management, in which they decide to build a 4-3-1-2 using him as the playmaker , then I think we've got better options in the middle of the park when picking a standard 4-4-2, which under Coppell we have always been (aside from the big Prem games).

Whilst we're playing Championship football, with our current crop of players, then the likes on Bryn/Harper/Cisse/Karacan are far better options, if only for the fact they can put a tackle in, and offer both defensive and attacking qualities.

Your thoughts?

(No comments about him being a 'luxury player' either...thats absolute b*llocks, no other team has one!)

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Marek... a debate

by AlexY25 » 09 Dec 2008 23:47

He did look average on occasions tonight. Sometimes though he splits defences apart with one pass. Hes got a very good eye and can pick a pass like no other in the team. However as tonight proved he can be sloppy with the ball. He is quite lightweight, and can't beat players. But i think tonight showed with someone like Gunnarsson, and Cisse probably, that he can partner someone with a more defensive nature to their game. I think he can still improve and could do extremely well at championship level and do very well in the premiership, if we happen to go up. Theres no doubt hes got talent, he played in Euro 2008 for Czech Republic, and had glimpses last year. I think hes quality, and i wouldn't expect it to be too long before he makes it in the first team.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 09 Dec 2008 23:50

once he gets on the same wavelength as the rest of the team, the potential is huge. He will be playing through balls with a blindfold soon enough. This was his first full game this season, and people are saying his passing was loose etc. He needs match experience. Give him till the end of the season, and im certain he will deliver.
Last edited by SLAMMED on 09 Dec 2008 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Dec 2008 23:51

As I put in another thread, he's a superbly skillful player but not a particularly effective one.

He needs space to thrive, which he'll not get in a league where most teams play 5 in midfield against us, and his vision is far greater than the vision of his teammates, so many of his through balls into space are wasted because no-one anticipates them. I also think his poor tackling is a major weakness.

I'd much rather settle for a less skillful and more effective player.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Dec 2008 23:54

Dirk Gently As I put in another thread, he's a superbly skillful player but not a particularly effective one.

He needs space to thrive, which he'll not get in a league where most teams play 5 in midfield against us, and his vision is far greater than the vision of his teammates, so many of his through balls into space are wasted because no-one anticipates them. I also think his poor tackling is a major weakness.

Me too. I am very excited by Karacan. I would like the Karacan-Harper partnership to be resurrected at some point. But I am happy with playing Cisse with Harper too.

I like Marek but he's not right for us unfortunately. If I am proved wrong then I will happily eat a slice of humble pie.

Toadie

by Toadie » 10 Dec 2008 00:00

Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently As I put in another thread, he's a superbly skillful player but not a particularly effective one.

Me too. I am very excited by Karacan. I would like the Karacan-Harper partnership to be resurrected at some point. But I am happy with playing Cisse with Harper too.

I like Marek but he's not right for us unfortunately. If I am proved wrong then I will happily eat a slice of humble pie.

100% 'greed with both of ya. If we could get a price for him, I'd ship him out. He's not a bad footballer, he's just not a Reading player.

Can anyone honestly see a Premiership club coming in for him if we were willing to sell him though? Wrong skillz for this country's league I'm afraid!

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 10 Dec 2008 00:22

Can't say i agree with much of the stuff which has been said so far in this thread. Give me someone like Marek, who has the potential to be a matchwinner, rather than the mediocre, 'energetic', sideways passing, midfielders that teams at this level seem to possess most of the time.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 00:27

West_Reading Can't say i agree with much of the stuff which has been said so far in this thread. Give me someone like Marek, who has the potential to be a matchwinner, rather than the mediocre, 'energetic', sideways passing, midfielders that teams at this level seem to possess most of the time.

I agree completely. I don't think Marek was the problem tonight. He was the only bit of quality on the pitch first half then he tired 2nd half due to a lack of match fitness. He gets it and looks up, he's thinking forwards all the time 'how can we score from here?'. What you just have to accept is players like that will definitely give it away more times than a Harper, but that one or two times those through balls find players it leads to chances, and in one case tonight it partly led to the goal.

give him a run of games, get his sharpness and fitness right up there and we'll see the best of him and Reading. I think Kebe will help him out as well. Kebe for his faults will stay wide and he's got pace, it gives Marek another outlet.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Dec 2008 00:50

That ball to hunt he played through the middle late on was just ridiculous at championship level, astonishing pass.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Dec 2008 01:58

FiNeRaIn That ball to hunt he played through the middle late on was just ridiculous at championship level, astonishing pass.

You mean the one where he looked up, saw four Reading players charging through the middle, and just rolled it out in front of them, knowing one of them would pick it up? The killer pass was the one that set up Armstrong to win the penalty.

I found Marek at times brilliant - close control, crisp passing, good vision - and at times frustrating - far too many loose passes for somebody of his ability, and I was disappointed he was unable to use the at times acres of space left by Blackpool in the middle of the pitch. Also, did anybody notice how many times the wingers ran into cul-de-sacs tonight, with nobody in the middle looking to switch it from one side to the other when play breaks down?

I really, really want us to find a way that utilises him effectively, but I'm beginning to worry that those who say he won't fit properly into our current set-up are right.

Oh, and Henry is shit.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Dec 2008 02:39

rabidbee
FiNeRaIn That ball to hunt he played through the middle late on was just ridiculous at championship level, astonishing pass.

You mean the one where he looked up, saw four Reading players charging through the middle, and just rolled it out in front of them, knowing one of them would pick it up? The killer pass was the one that set up Armstrong to win the penalty.

I found Marek at times brilliant - close control, crisp passing, good vision - and at times frustrating - far too many loose passes for somebody of his ability, and I was disappointed he was unable to use the at times acres of space left by Blackpool in the middle of the pitch. Also, did anybody notice how many times the wingers ran into cul-de-sacs tonight, with nobody in the middle looking to switch it from one side to the other when play breaks down?

I really, really want us to find a way that utilises him effectively, but I'm beginning to worry that those who say he won't fit properly into our current set-up are right.

Oh, and Henry is shit.

The one where he had 3 players around him and slid a ball with the outside of his right foot whilst looking likely to run into touch, yes.

Henry is shit? First league game he's started and you have judged him already :lol: :lol: Talk about fickle.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 03:19

FiNeRaIn
rabidbee

Oh, and Henry is shit.

The one where he had 3 players around him and slid a ball with the outside of his right foot whilst looking likely to run into touch, yes.

Henry is shit? First league game he's started and you have judged him already :lol: :lol: Talk about fickle.

Fickle indeed. The same could be said for al the posters knocking Marek after his FIRST FULL GAME OF THE SEASON!!! Give the guy a break. Training is one thing but match fitness and playing alongside new players in a match is completely different. He's not had many oppotunities to play with Doyle and the Hunts for the ressies over the last few weeks has he.......

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Dec 2008 07:03

Agreed.

I think that this thread says more about the inability of some Reading fans to appreciate quality football than it does about Marek.

John 3:16

by John 3:16 » 10 Dec 2008 07:15

I'm not even going to comment on this pathetic thread.

by John 3:16 » 10 Dec 2008 07:16

Except for that ^^^^

by John 3:16 » 10 Dec 2008 07:16

And that ^^^^ Damn it!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Dec 2008 07:36

rabidbee
Oh, and Henry is shit.

Not a comment you would have made had you been at the game last night I'm sure....

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 07:56

I tohught Marek was inafective tonight, but we have to remember that this was his first start since the forest match.

So he was never going to be at his best without starting in so long, Give Marek a few more games.

Then he will show what he is made of.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 10 Dec 2008 08:12

This was his first game back, we won and people are still complaining. He didn't have a great game but he was still probably one of our better players on the night. If he isn't doing the business after 3 or 4 games back then I will understand but in my opinion its clear he is a quality player and when other players develop an understanding with him he will be a great link between midfield and attack. Henry did well enough for me too, no worse than Kebe has done all season.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 08:17

ScottishRoyal
FiNeRaIn
rabidbee Oh, and Henry is shit.

Fickle indeed. The same could be said for al the posters knocking Marek after his FIRST FULL GAME OF THE SEASON!!! Give the guy a break. Training is one thing but match fitness and playing alongside new players in a match is completely different. He's not had many oppotunities to play with Doyle and the Hunts for the ressies over the last few weeks has he.......

Agreed with FR + SR. League games, are required.
My thinking is that Marek was played alongside Gun because Gun is essentially a defensive midfielder, and Marek an attacking midfielder.
I think, in essence we were playing a very tight 4-4-2 diamond formation last night.
Even so, the whole team weren't their best last night. Don't scapegoat.

162 posts