Back from the Game - Southampton

255 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the Game - Southampton

by Hoop Blah » 29 Dec 2008 10:22

Schards#2 As someone who was regularly part of away support that didn't reach three figures, I much prefer 3,000 fans of mixed plasticity that the kudos of being part of 70 odd diehards.

There is, in fact, no kudos outside the ranks of the other 70 odd who are themselves considered wierd by the rest of the population.

I'm not talking about kudos though, I'm talking about enjoying myself.

Times move on, and I'm pleased that the enjoyment of supporting my club is being enjoyed by more, I even enjoy the bigger numbers too, but I can understand why many of the older regular supporters have drifted away a bit over the years.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 29 Dec 2008 10:30

I was sat in the row in front of the "Our support is f*cking shit" chanters. I sung at the beginning of the game, and for various intervals throughout it, but admittedly didn't do so for the full 90 minutes.

At times the atmosphere around us was good, and a decent rendition of 'Blue Army' could be heard for a fairly prolonged period at one stage.

If those that were having a pop at our support acted constructively and kept to singing chants in support of the team, I am confident that more would've joined in. Their shock tactics and 'friendly fire' probably had a negative effect if anything.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Dec 2008 10:32

A large number of my family travelled down for this game. I was lucky enough to be in the away end and others were at the opposite home end. Atmosphere from Reading fans was loud coming across the stadium and more vocal than Saints according to others.

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 29 Dec 2008 10:46

Gordons Cumming I've been watching Reading for nearly 40 years now and rarely ( i mean rarely ) sing. :shock: I shout occasionally to relieve the tension but that is about it.

That's my way.

I expect the team to give me something to shout about, not the other way around. That's me. I'm thankful not all supporters aren't like me too. :wink:

By the way I also believe seats are there to be sat on.

HTH

Oh, for goodness sake!
However, you do kind of admit that your attitude to watching live football is wrong (by stating that you are glad not everyone is the same as you!)
Do "supporters" like you not think that much of the appeal of football is the atmosphere created at the games?
It's all about standing at exciting parts of the game and having a good old sing/chant ...... instead of taking every opportunity to shout at the bloke in front "sit down, sit down,............" (which I bet you do).
Next time you're at the theatre, ask yourself the question "is this the atmosphere I want at football matches"?

southstand67

by southstand67 » 29 Dec 2008 11:00

Oh, for goodness sake!
However, you do kind of admit that your attitude to watching live football is wrong (by stating that you are glad not everyone is the same as you!)
Do "supporters" like you not think that much of the appeal of football is the atmosphere created at the games?
It's all about standing at exciting parts of the game and having a good old sing/chant ...... instead of taking every opportunity to shout at the bloke in front "sit down, sit down,............" (which I bet you do).
Next time you're at the theatre, ask yourself the question "is this the atmosphere I want at football matches"?[/quote]

I tend to agree with this statement especially about theatres. I saw the threads on the y26 lot against Cardiff, how abuse and foul language was aimed at the Cardiff "support", there were also comments about people leaving early etc.....

I'm not one for swearing, I would rather sing and extol my team than aim abuse at the other team and it's fans. But I kind of expect that when I go to a football match, other supporters will do that! I liked the passion that our team showed at the end of the cardiff match, tho this could be seen as taunting the Cardiff support. I kind of feel that the team responds to our support, hence the reference to us at number 13 in the team sheet.

I have no problem with people leaving early either, but looking at the Northstand on Friday with just a few minutes to go, there were so many empty seats! One has to wonder what effect this has on our players?
Last edited by southstand67 on 29 Dec 2008 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Dec 2008 11:01

Oxon_Royal
Gordons Cumming I've been watching Reading for nearly 40 years now and rarely ( i mean rarely ) sing. :shock: I shout occasionally to relieve the tension but that is about it.

That's my way.

I expect the team to give me something to shout about, not the other way around. That's me. I'm thankful not all supporters aren't like me too. :wink:

By the way I also believe seats are there to be sat on.

HTH

Oh, for goodness sake!
Next time you're at the theatre, ask yourself the question "is this the atmosphere I want at football matches"?

My attitude to watching is football is mine and mine alone. I have as much right to sit in silence as do those who help create the atmosphere.
Neither are wrong.

I'll remember your comment when I visit the theatre next to watch Mamma Mia. :shock: :wink:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Dec 2008 11:01

Oxon_Royal Next time you're at the theatre, ask yourself the question "is this the atmosphere I want at football matches"?

Its usually a pantomime though

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Dec 2008 11:02

southstand67
I have no problem with people leaving early either, but looking at the Northstand on Friday with just a few minutes to go, there were so many empty seats! One has to wonder what effect this has on our players?

It should have no effect. They are being paid good money to perform no matter who are watching. Even if there is only one they should put in the same effort if there are thousands screaming and shouting.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2008 11:04

Why are people so arrogant that they believe that "their way" of watching/supporting their team is the "right way" or the "only way"?

There are many ways to support - who's to say which is the right way. And never forget that it changes as people age - many of the older people who now sit and watch with a blanket over their knees did their bit supporting the club on the terraces of Elm Park and away ground in the 70s, 80s or earlier.

Also, never forget that we don't have a tradition of large-scale football supporting - in the "glory days" of mass attendances we were rattling along in Tier 4 with tiny crowds, so we don't have the noisy, militant, crowds that the likes of Cardiff do. From the PL supporters' survey, we had the highest proportion of kids of all 20 PL clubs - good for the future, but it reflects our lack of long-term, large-scale, support.

We are also a predominantly middle-class area - Reading hasn't been a large-scale industrial area for many years, if it ever was (railways and biscuits are the closest we get) and, as pointed out, much of our support (about 50%, I think) comes from outside Reading itself, where we have middle-class dormitory/commuter towns where the majority either commute or work in services/technology. The Thames Valley also has the highest proportion of second car ownership, computer ownership and broadband take-up of the whole UK - so anyone who says we're not an affluent and middle-class area is way off track.

Plus the whole of football is changing from what was the traditional (terrace-based) way of supporting. What is acceptable has changed, as the game is becoming increasingly gentrified - some would say riddled with over-regulation. It's only really amongst clubs with a long-history of large-scale support, mainly from largely working-class areas, that the tradition of "old-school" support continues - Cardiff on Friday is a perfect example.

But for those who want Reading supporters to be like Cardiff, I'm afraid it aint ever gonna happen. Live with it, move elsewhere or face the fact that everyone will support in their own way and no one way is better than any others.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Dec 2008 11:14

i spent the whole bloody game on my feet (despite complaints from behind me) i was about half way down to the right ,trying to get the atmosphere going almoast single handedley, i kept turning round and trying to get people on there feet but was being looked at as is i had shit on my face, top left were good but the support was dire the bloke behind me even said i'd give up its like a morge i just dont understand why our support is so awfull it was christmas a local game and judging by yates in town centre and a pub closer to the ground a fair few of us whwere there early and drinking.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 29 Dec 2008 11:22

bb0118
Mrs Butler Were not losing steam, Coppell just made some rather silly unnecessary changes today.

2 games in 3 days has nothing to do with it then?

Its their job, that is what they are paid to do.

Why change a successful and decent team, to the one yesterday, there was no need.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Dec 2008 11:22

WoodleyRoyal i spent the whole bloody game on my feet (despite complaints from behind me) i was about half way down to the right ,trying to get the atmosphere going almoast single handedley, i kept turning round and trying to get people on there feet but was being looked at as is i had shit on my face, top left were good but the support was dire the bloke behind me even said i'd give up its like a morge i just dont understand why our support is so awfull it was christmas a local game and judging by yates in town centre and a pub closer to the ground a fair few of us whwere there early and drinking.

Do you never stop and think that you are being totally inconsiderate to thepeople behind you, and the people behind them, and the people behind them etc?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Dec 2008 11:24

Mrs Butler
bb0118
Mrs Butler Were not losing steam, Coppell just made some rather silly unnecessary changes today.

2 games in 3 days has nothing to do with it then?

Its their job, that is what they are paid to do.

Why change a successful and decent team, to the one yesterday, there was no need.
I made that comment once Mrs B and was shot down in flames. Some Wolves player was on SSN earlier saying how a lot of people don't realise that professional players can't have a proper Xmas like everyone else. :roll: If Schards was earning £15k+ a week, I think I'd get over it, to be honest.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Dec 2008 11:26

no i was stood during breaks in play it is possible to stand and not be a c*nt i would duck during attacking moments anyway someone bloody needed to do something it that means pissing off 3 people so 3000 can have a better afternoon then i see that as good odds

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Dec 2008 11:28

WoodleyRoyal i spent the whole bloody game on my feet (despite complaints from behind me) .

:?:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Dec 2008 11:28

Why would you standing up and trying to get people to sing give 3,000 people "a better afternoon"? Idiot.

Like I said, people around us managed to sing, shout, cheer, clap etc without the need to stand, except at points of the game where we looked liked we might score. Then everyone stands, more or less, so it's no problem.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Dec 2008 11:29

If you want to stand, go and support Fleet Town or Bracknell Town. They'd love to see you!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Dec 2008 11:30

i was being considerate most fans wont duck he was just being a moany tw*t

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Dec 2008 11:32

:lol: Incredible. How old are you btw?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Dec 2008 11:33

Royal Lady Why would you standing up and trying to get people to sing give 3,000 people "a better afternoon"? Idiot.

Like I said, people around us managed to sing, shout, cheer, clap etc without the need to stand, except at points of the game where we looked liked we might score. Then everyone stands, more or less, so it's no problem.

cause clearly everyone is pissed off by our poor supporting perfomance had we had better support people would be more happy for instance had we lost to bristol people would still have had a good time cause the atmosphere was amazing

255 posts