Coppell aims for new signings

155 posts
Amongst the sheep

Re: Coppell aims for new signings

by Amongst the sheep » 31 Dec 2008 10:28

cmonurz I take anything Coppell says with regards to transfer windows with a pinch of salt, tbh.

Me too.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 Dec 2008 10:44

tomrfcurz
robb the royal we should bring in Bradley Wright-Phillips, quality player... and Southampton need the cash!
if he's looking for a striker... robbie fowlers a free agent again!
I would be more than pleased with both of them!

he's a oxf*rd thief

Only Nathan Dyer was convicted.

Bluesparks

by Bluesparks » 31 Dec 2008 12:18

Sir Steve has, once again been named manager of the month. From results it seemed a full gone conclusion, still, good to see.
Still not sure though whether his great reputation helps attract big signings, or whether his no frills, calm and collected approach makes him appear to be less of a big name manager, and therefore a less attractive manager to play for.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Dec 2008 12:26

Totally respected manager. I should think that any player wishing to sign for Reading would form an opinion on the obvious:

Prospects of regular first team
Wages negotiation
The team going places, dynamic team ethic :D
Club structure
Training facilities
Manager and chairman

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Dec 2008 12:40

It a tough one.

Not Coppell's style to go for short term signings and ypu'd imagine rightly or wrongly he'd be asking the question of whether any signing would be good enough if we do go up. Massive question marks over all the players mentioned in the thread so far with that regards.

Can see us signing a player from abroad none of us have heard of.

I do like Nugent, but is he a bit similar to Doyle? Likes to play of a striker. not one to lead the line. Same with Fryatt really.

There ain't much out there, espicially this time of the season.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 31 Dec 2008 12:56

Southern Daily Echo READING could be among the front runners to sign Andrew Surman next month, writes ADAM LEITCH.

The Daily Echo understands that Saints’ Championship rivals are interested in the 22-year-old, who missed his first league game of the season against the Royals at St Mary’s last Sunday due to an ankle injury.

Reading were keen on Surman back in the summer, targeting him to play at left-back following the departure of Nicky Shorey to Aston Villa.

But Royals boss Steve Coppell instead signed Sheffield United’s Chris Armstrong to play in that role after a series of transfers that would have funded a potential bid for Surman fell through.

Surman – a locally-raised lad who would not have to move away from his family and friends were he to sign for the Berkshire club – had ended last season playing at left back under Nigel Pearson and earning impressive reviews.

He also started this season in that position under Jan Poortvliet, but was moved to his usual midfield position in September and is currently the club’s second top scorer with five goals.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints ... or_Surman/

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 31 Dec 2008 13:16

For about the last month, my Watford supporting friends have told me that Tommy Smith is coming to Reading, it's virtually a done deal. Watford have also told their long suffering fans that more players will be sold in January. Or should this be in rumours?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Dec 2008 14:49

Ark Royal I was impressed by Bothroyd in the first half, but he faded a bit. Good skill on the deck for such a biggun.

I reckon Kevin Nugent is a good shout. I really, really liked him at PNE. Someone stated earlier in this thread that he does not score goals, but that is purely because Pompey do not play him. He may regard a drop to the Championship as a temporary blip. Nugent and the Doyler up top would be the best partnership in the division.

He was pretty OK at Plymouth in the 80's but I don;t remember him at PNE - was he any good ?

IT'S DAVID BY THE WAY. :roll:

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 31 Dec 2008 14:53

Coppell has stated his is happy with the centre midfield options and if Bikey stays we're looking fine at centre back. With Lita on his way out I feel sure he'll look to sell and replace him with a target man and then also possibly look at another winger, hopefully Surman or Bouzza.

Personally I think we need another left back, but that can probably wait until the summer to see if we get promoted.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Dec 2008 14:54

Franchise FC
Ark Royal I was impressed by Bothroyd in the first half, but he faded a bit. Good skill on the deck for such a biggun.

I reckon Kevin Nugent is a good shout. I really, really liked him at PNE. Someone stated earlier in this thread that he does not score goals, but that is purely because Pompey do not play him. He may regard a drop to the Championship as a temporary blip. Nugent and the Doyler up top would be the best partnership in the division.

He was pretty OK at Plymouth in the 80's but I don;t remember him at PNE - was he any good ?

But why not go for Kevin Nugent? Is Steve Castle also available???

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Dec 2008 14:55

I can't disagree with any of that.

I'd suggest we could afford to wait until the summer for centrebacks even if Bikey goes, although we'd probably need two then, which would be a big ask.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Dec 2008 14:57

Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC quote="Ark Royal"]I was impressed by Bothroyd in the first half, but he faded a bit. Good skill on the deck for such a biggun.

I reckon Kevin Nugent is a good shout. I really, really liked him at PNE. Someone stated earlier in this thread that he does not score goals, but that is purely because Pompey do not play him. He may regard a drop to the Championship as a temporary blip. Nugent and the Doyler up top would be the best partnership in the division.[/quote

I remember hating Kevin Summerfield when he was there - for no reason that I can remember, just that he was a long streak of pi$$ and invariably scored against us (I bet he only scired once, but it felt like more)

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 31 Dec 2008 14:57

Unless we lost people in the midfield we wont be getting anyone else from midfield.
I really really hope bikey doesn't go, but it looks like he might be at the moment, which'd be a big loss, considering his age as well.
It'll be interesting to see what type of striker he goes for. I'd love david nugent or someone with premiership experience, but i'd guess its some youngster who doesn't get many games. I wish we'd put money into a youngster like Ebanks Blake or Daniel Sturridge but that definitely wont happen. Marlon Harewood is another possibility.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2008 15:01

Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC

Along with Paul Kitson and Kevin Harper.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2008 15:03

Ian Royal I can't disagree with any of that.

I'd suggest we could afford to wait until the summer for centrebacks even if Bikey goes, although we'd probably need two then, which would be a big ask.

Agreed.

Getting a few players in now so that they can bed in and kick on for, hopefully, a Premiership season would be ideal. As someone else has pointed out it's getting the right quality of player to come to Reading whilst we're in the Championship when we struggled to do it when we were already in the Prem.

We definately need to bring in further options up front though...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Dec 2008 15:06

SCIAG
Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC quote="Ark Royal"]I was impressed by Bothroyd in the first half, but he faded a bit. Good skill on the deck for such a biggun.

I reckon Kevin Nugent is a good shout. I really, really liked him at PNE. Someone stated earlier in this thread that he does not score goals, but that is purely because Pompey do not play him. He may regard a drop to the Championship as a temporary blip. Nugent and the Doyler up top would be the best partnership in the division.[/quote

Along with Paul Kitson and Kevin Harper.

Don't remember Kitson at Plymouth :?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Dec 2008 15:07

Very few players actually make a big impact when they join a new club halfway through a season. Are we so naive to expect otherwise?

1871royals

by 1871royals » 31 Dec 2008 15:42

Interesting to read in the Chronicle that Hammond said we are in discussions for 2 new players. Obviously we need to take it with a pinch of salt but nice to see we have some potential new players.

Its highly unlikely anyone we sign will be able to come into the first team. IMO it will be a "one for the future," probably a young target man striker and maybe a winger and/or lb.

Absolutely no point in going for Nugget, way too similar to what we have got, and debatable if hes any better.

I think Longs recent good performance gives SC a problem. NH and Doyle will be the starters and the improving Long should be on the bench. Its highly unlikely we can attract a striker who may not even got on the bench.

IMO Long wont be able to cut it long term, so any new striker should be ahead of him, but hes definitely earned his place on the bench if not starting atm.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2008 15:48

Wasn't referring to Plymouth players alone, Franchise.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2008 15:49

1871royals Interesting to read in the Chronicle that Hammond said we are in discussions for 2 new players. Obviously we need to take it with a pinch of salt but nice to see we have some potential new players.

Its highly unlikely anyone we sign will be able to come into the first team. IMO it will be a "one for the future," probably a young target man striker and maybe a winger and/or lb.

Absolutely no point in going for Nugget, way too similar to what we have got, and debatable if hes any better.

I think Longs recent good performance gives SC a problem. NH and Doyle will be the starters and the improving Long should be on the bench. Its highly unlikely we can attract a striker who may not even got on the bench.

IMO Long wont be able to cut it long term, so any new striker should be ahead of him, but hes definitely earned his place on the bench if not starting atm.

I don't go for this Long's played well business...he's put himself about well, but like Kebe, he still makes a lot of mistakes and cost us a chance or two by being greedy at Southampton. His touch, awareness and decision making will prevent him from being a real consistent threat at this level let alone the Premiership.

The idea isn't to buy a forward that will not get on the bench. The idea I think most people are suggesting is to bring in a different type of forward who might well prove to be an even better foil for Doyle than Hunt has proven to be so far.

As ever, I don't want us to buy players that won't get in the side. I want to see us go for players who will strengthen the first XI and therefore strengthen the squad by pusing the weaker players out through the back door.

155 posts