Coppell aims for new signings

155 posts
East Stand Royal 500

Re: Coppell aims for new signings

by East Stand Royal 500 » 09 Jan 2009 15:28

Sarah Star 5 players in 9 days. There's still 22 left.

24 actually. The "January" window does not close until 2 February because January 31 is a Saturday.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Jan 2009 15:30

East Stand Royal 500
Sarah Star 5 players in 9 days. There's still 22 left.

24 actually. The "January" window does not close until 2 February because January 31 is a Saturday.

Oh yes :oops:
I'd forgotten about that.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jan 2009 15:42

Alan Partridge
Very much in the same way that anyone else who signs someone is 'gambling their future' of the player they sign is rubbish anyway. Usually the sort of line we here from yourself.

Inner turmoil? No but you seem to have problems in accepting anyone else opinion on anything, the club is ALWAYS right in your eyes. It's fine to have that opinion and I respect it, just don't agree with it.

I'm sure it's me but the first sentence seems to make absolutely no sense !

Second sentence isn't much better, although I can see the irony in AP lecturing anyone else on opinions ! It's not really clear what the link between not always taking the view of HNAers on players as terribly accurate and arrant nonsense about the club being 'right' is.

It's as daft to think the club is always right as it is to think scouting reports from Nobbers generally show much insight (with a few honourable exceptions....)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2009 15:50

Sun Tzu
Alan Partridge
Very much in the same way that anyone else who signs someone is 'gambling their future' of the player they sign is rubbish anyway. Usually the sort of line we here from yourself.

Inner turmoil? No but you seem to have problems in accepting anyone else opinion on anything, the club is ALWAYS right in your eyes. It's fine to have that opinion and I respect it, just don't agree with it.

I'm sure it's me but the first sentence seems to make absolutely no sense !

Second sentence isn't much better, although I can see the irony in AP lecturing anyone else on opinions ! It's not really clear what the link between not always taking the view of HNAers on players as terribly accurate and arrant nonsense about the club being 'right' is.

It's as daft to think the club is always right as it is to think scouting reports from Nobbers generally show much insight (with a few honourable exceptions....)

If another team is bidding for a player, they seem to be 'gambling their future' on said player according to your good self and a couple of others. Whoever we sign is infinitely better than who they sign and at much better value, always. I don't know, there always seems to be a patronising tone to your posts as if you seem to know absolutely everything that goes on at RFC and football clubs country-wide, you may not be doing that on purpose it's just how it comes across to me.

No irony at all, I have my own opinions on things, I will argue them with anyone but I don't claim them to be right all the time. If someone actually in the know had read some of the stuff I'd written they'd probably think I haven't got a clue and in lots of cases they would probably be right!Doesn't stop an opinion though. I gave an opinion on Tommy Smith, not going to claim I've watched every game of his career. Looked up a few stats and I've seen him play live a few times and on the telly a bit,never particularly impressed ME personally,not the sort of player I would like. doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it's just opinions.

I will listen to anyone who disagrees with my opinion on anything, half the people I go to football disagree with me on lots of things.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Jan 2009 16:20

Alan Partridge I don't know, there always seems to be a patronising tone to your posts as if you seem to know absolutely everything that goes on at RFC and football clubs country-wide, you may not be doing that on purpose it's just how it comes across to me. .

completely agree, gives a very up his own arse attitude.

JoebyRFC

by JoebyRFC » 09 Jan 2009 17:00

El-zar or N'gog on loan from liverpool :lol:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jan 2009 17:13

Alan Partridge If another team is bidding for a player, they seem to be 'gambling their future' on said player according to your good self and a couple of others. Whoever we sign is infinitely better than who they sign and at much better value, always.

I have no idea what posts you are referring to to be honest. If you can come up with some examples it might help understand your point. I really can't remember making comments along those lines about any players !!

Alan Partridge I don't know, there always seems to be a patronising tone to your posts as if you seem to know absolutely everything that goes on at RFC and football clubs country-wide, you may not be doing that on purpose it's just how it comes across to me.

I do take a particular interest in matters RFC and if I'm aware of stuff I'll bring it up (and correct inaccuracies). In terms of other clubs only today I've mentioned that I'm not at all up on players at other clubs, it's pretty rare I comment on other clubs.

Alan Partridge No irony at all, I have my own opinions on things, I will argue them with anyone but I don't claim them to be right all the time. If someone actually in the know had read some of the stuff I'd written they'd probably think I haven't got a clue and in lots of cases they would probably be right!Doesn't stop an opinion though. I gave an opinion on Tommy Smith, not going to claim I've watched every game of his career. Looked up a few stats and I've seen him play live a few times and on the telly a bit,never particularly impressed ME personally,not the sort of player I would like. doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it's just opinions.

I will listen to anyone who disagrees with my opinion on anything, half the people I go to football disagree with me on lots of things.

I guess the above is what we'd all say about ourselves. Not sure why you've got such a big problem with things just because in my view HNA isn't necessarily the best place to get expert opinion on players. You aren;t claiming to be an expert so we're saying the same thing.

There are plenty of people on HNA who set themselves up as experts (interesting that FineRain chips in....) and of course most of us probably have our bits and pieces we know something about. I'm not sure it makes sense for very vocal and highly opinionated posters to start having a go at others for expressing opinions.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2009 19:01

It's an almost universal psychological truth that people who hold opposite opinions to you look as thought they're pontificating blindly and arrogantly, while those whose opinions you share sound like the voice of calm and sober reason. I see it in these debates over and over again, where one side gets off the subject at hand to accuse the other of some kind of arrogance, excess or machination. Whoever disagrees with you always seems like the thought police, whatever your stance.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 09 Jan 2009 19:04

Arch It's an almost universal psychological truth that people who hold opposite opinions to you look as thought they're pontificating blindly and arrogantly, while those whose opinions you share sound like the voice of calm and sober reason. I see it in these debates over and over again, where one side gets off the subject at hand to accuse the other of some kind of arrogance, excess or machination. Whoever disagrees with you always seems like the thought police, whatever your stance.

That's just your opinion, you patronising twat.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jan 2009 19:07

Arch, I have to agree with you.

I mean, some people (generally individuals lacking in even the most basic fundamentals of human intelligence) accuse me of being condescending on occasion.

I've never understood why.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2009 19:21

Baines
Arch It's an almost universal psychological truth that people who hold opposite opinions to you look as thought they're pontificating blindly and arrogantly, while those whose opinions you share sound like the voice of calm and sober reason. I see it in these debates over and over again, where one side gets off the subject at hand to accuse the other of some kind of arrogance, excess or machination. Whoever disagrees with you always seems like the thought police, whatever your stance.

:lol: I did notice the irony of that phrase as I wrote it. I've been reading too much 18th century lit lately.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 09 Jan 2009 19:24

Arch
Baines

:lol: I did notice the irony of that phrase as I wrote it. I've been reading too much 18th century lit lately.

Yep - the word "machination" also gives that away!

Elliott

by Elliott » 12 Jan 2009 21:26

And I quote from the Daily Mail:

"Herman Hreidarsson will become the latest player to leave Portsmouth after Reading pipped Celtic to SIGN the Iceland captain for a nominal fee. Hreidarsson, 34, frozen out at Fratton Park, has welcomed the opportunity to rejoin Steve Coppell, who brought him to England 11 years ago when in charge of Crystal Palace."

So are we assuming the deal is all wrapped up? If so, should be expecting something on the OS within the next day or so...

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Jan 2009 23:13

Elliott And I quote from the Daily Mail:

"Herman Hreidarsson will become the latest player to leave Portsmouth after Reading pipped Celtic to SIGN the Iceland captain for a nominal fee. Hreidarsson, 34, frozen out at Fratton Park, has welcomed the opportunity to rejoin Steve Coppell, who brought him to England 11 years ago when in charge of Crystal Palace."

So are we assuming the deal is all wrapped up? If so, should be expecting something on the OS within the next day or so...

I wont believe a word of it until i hear OFFICIAL confirmation.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 12 Jan 2009 23:17

Elliott And I quote from the Daily Mail:

This was also in the sun today
so it looks like a done deal

155 posts