Coppell aims for new signings

155 posts
muzza

Coppell aims for new signings

by muzza » 30 Dec 2008 10:02

Steve is aiming to come through the window in a stronger position than he is in now, and is looking to bring in more quality he can choose from at first team level.

He said, "Overall I would like to enhance the squad and I think we need a couple of things.

"After January you're left vulnerable to any injuries and suspensions, and it's my job to evaluate where the potential holes are in the squad, then do something about it.

"We're strong in midfield with plenty of options but there are question marks up front."

Coppell on the OS, so do we really have problems upfront? And if so who do you want to see us bring in? (In ANY position!)

And do you think we will lose any1 if so who?

Muzza

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell aims for new signings

by Stranded » 30 Dec 2008 10:04

Yes we have issues up front - we have Doyle and N.Hunt then we have a bit part player in Long, and untried and injured forward in Mooney and Lita who is pretty much done at the club - I'll be very surprised if we don't try and bolster that area of the squad next month.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 30 Dec 2008 10:20

I think if we are to bring in a striker, (Which we need to) he needs to be a target man who can hold up the ball.

Thames

by Thames » 30 Dec 2008 10:25

Rickie Lambert. Please.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 10:27

Bring in Wayne Routledge

Thames

by Thames » 30 Dec 2008 10:29

Big Foot Bring in Wayne Routledge

VaLOLid.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 10:32

Thames

VaLOLid.

He was superb against us...the way he turned Rosenior and then delivered a stunning cross with the outside of his right foot was Premiership class and that's what is imperative in the run-in

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 30 Dec 2008 10:49

Isn't this a requote from last Christmas

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 30 Dec 2008 10:53

we should bring in Bradley Wright-Phillips, quality player... and Southampton need the cash!
if he's looking for a striker... robbie fowlers a free agent again!
I would be more than pleased with both of them!

Glen Little's Nose
Location: Watching Adam Miller dive nose first into the West Stand!

by Glen Little's Nose » 30 Dec 2008 11:04

Craig Mackail-Smith for me.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Dec 2008 11:24

No Hoops Isn't this a requote from last Christmas

Or the one before? :wink:

In all fairness, the report on the OS IS different from previous years. Now he is admitting the he feels we need to strengthen in certain areas, whereas previously it was a case of keeping alert to opportunities to strengthen what we already have if they present themselves.

A very subtle change of emphasis, but a change nevertheless.

Strangely, I feel more comfortable with the squad now that I did at the end of last season. Maybe the team's success to date has calmed me down a bit. Goodness knows it was necessary!

Happy New year to all.
Last edited by strap on 30 Dec 2008 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Dec 2008 11:25

Has to be Matty Fyatt out of contract in the summer a cheeky bid should get him he's only 22 aswell and the highest scorer in the country

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 30 Dec 2008 11:28

WoodleyRoyal Has to be Matty Fyatt out of contract in the summer a cheeky bid should get him he's only 22 aswell and the highest scorer in the country

But he's just signed a new 3-year contract.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 11:28

WoodleyRoyal Has to be Matty Fyatt out of contract in the summer a cheeky bid should get him he's only 22 aswell and the highest scorer in the country

Signed a new 3 year contract 2 weeks ago

Known as "The Kevin Doyle tactic" to increase his value don't you know

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 30 Dec 2008 11:34

its Fryatt all the way for me.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 30 Dec 2008 11:46

Focher its Fryatt all the way for me.

He's another for the future. IMO we need an experienced striker who's made it at Prem level, preferably one with height and bulk - an Emile Heskey type. We have enough younger nippy lightweights, however good they are. Also need better back-up at LB and LW.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 30 Dec 2008 11:51

Would love to see Routledge here but I doubt it would happen. He's been available when we were in the Premiership and we didn't show any interest (I know we had Seoul and Little at this stage though).

Despite being a short-arse he's got the right temperament to do well and has got good ability. Cardiff have done well bringing him in - when's his loan up?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Dec 2008 11:52

Personally I'd like to see Nugent. Young, proven in this league and definitely got something to prove. Looks surplus to requirements at Pompey but would certainly improve the team nevermind the squad here.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few people move on from the current squad and fingers x'd Reading manage to go up I think we could almost have a revolving door at the end of the season.

I think Coppell's interview sums up the current squad quite well. The improvement of Federici means that a keeper probably isn't a priority in the short term, although long term I think a replacement for Hahnemann could be on the agenda maybe at the end of the season. It's all based on what division Reading are in, if they go up the defense is going to need serious surgery. Again all ifs and buts.

If we don't lose anyone we don't want to lose then 1 decent forward will be all we need for this season. Obviously if Hunt leaves then another winger would be on the agenda as well.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 30 Dec 2008 12:01

Alan Partridge Personally I'd like to see Nugent. Young, proven in this league and definitely got something to prove. Looks surplus to requirements at Pompey but would certainly improve the team nevermind the squad here.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few people move on from the current squad and fingers x'd Reading manage to go up I think we could almost have a revolving door at the end of the season.

I think Coppell's interview sums up the current squad quite well. The improvement of Federici means that a keeper probably isn't a priority in the short term, although long term I think a replacement for Hahnemann could be on the agenda maybe at the end of the season. It's all based on what division Reading are in, if they go up the defense is going to need serious surgery. Again all ifs and buts.

If we don't lose anyone we don't want to lose then 1 decent forward will be all we need for this season. Obviously if Hunt leaves then another winger would be on the agenda as well.

Nugent also crossed my mind but with Defoe set to leave and Crouch's name being touted to other clubs I presumed his chance on the south coast might finally come.

Like you say, he's proven at this level and I'd guess he'd be hungry to impress if we did make it to the Premiership, if only to show that he deserves his chance.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 30 Dec 2008 12:11

I was actually pretty impressed with Jay Bothroyd on Boxing Day, although given his recent comments I don't think he'd be particularly welcome.

155 posts