Transfer Window to be our downfall again???

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Transfer Window to be our downfall again???

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 11:38

(If this is in the wrong place or there's another active thread on this subject I apologise)

I've been quite happy with the way things have been going but am perturbed to see our main competitor Brum sign Boazza, Sinclair and Bowyer and actively trying to sign more....!

This worries me a bit because as we've known all along, Coppell et al are fabulous at making a team shine but the problem always seems to come when a transfer window pops up and we still have a good team but because our competitors sign new players we efectively go backwards.

Having said that if we don't lose anyone I can't think of a single position in first team or backup that definitely needs replacement.

I'm just a little apprehensive that's all... I can just see the same mistake that we seem to have made in every transfer window being made again.

Should we be strengthening our squad for this season? Or will newcomers disrupt our awesome team at the moment? But should we be taking this opportunity to build for the Prem?

I appreciate there's a lot of the transfer window left but seeing Brum have already signed so many is getting me jittery!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Transfer Window to be our downfall again???

by Wycombe Royal » 12 Jan 2009 11:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup I've been quite happy with the way things have been going but am perturbed to see our main competitor Brum sign Boazza, Sinclair and Bowyer and actively trying to sign more....!

Two of those signings were to replace players leaving - Quashie and Owusu-Abeyie.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 12 Jan 2009 11:45

Oh come on, let's not worry about what other teams are doing. If they're signing players, it's because they're not good enough and getting a bit desperate.

I don't really care whether we do or don't sign any players as we're doing quite well at the moment.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 11:46

Wycombe Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup I've been quite happy with the way things have been going but am perturbed to see our main competitor Brum sign Boazza, Sinclair and Bowyer and actively trying to sign more....!

Two of those signings were to replace players leaving - Quashie and Owusu-Abeyie.

:oops:

Makes me feel a little better...

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 12 Jan 2009 11:48

There is no necessary truth in the statement that because our competitors sign new players we effectively go backwards. It depends on relative needs and the identity of the new pl;ayers. In fact I suspect Brum's signing of Bowyer represents an effective step forwards for us.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 12 Jan 2009 11:49

Whilst it would appear that Brum are buying in a number of players - this can also have a negative effect in trying to introduce too many new players into a team set-up. With it being the back straight of the season,its not the ideal time for making wholesale changes to a team.

I also think it can show a sign of panic - which isnt going to make for a settled and focussed team

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 12 Jan 2009 11:52

I can just see the same mistake that we seem to have made in every transfer window being made again.

Maybe not every window, as we've tended to sign someone.

But we've not, imo, used a window to really take the initiative. Given that it took Cisse a year and Kebe six months to get up to speed, perhaps the time to act is now. Bring in a couple of young players and give them time in and around the club to grow into a starting role.

As has been pointed out, we are unlikely to buy a ready-made player even in the case where we need such a player, so why we're not bringing in these players with potential every window puzzles me. We didn't really do it in January or the summer '06 and again in the summer '07.

If they're signing players, it's because they're not good enough and getting a bit desperate.

Or they think they can improve.

I think it is incredibly naive to think we cannot improve the current side or the current squad. The key issue is the cost of doing so.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2009 11:54

2 world wars, 1 world cup Having said that if we don't lose anyone I can't think of a single position in first team or backup that definitely needs replacement.

For starters....who would play left back or left midfield if either of Armstrong or Hunt picked up a serious injury?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 12 Jan 2009 11:57

Hoop Blah
2 world wars, 1 world cup Having said that if we don't lose anyone I can't think of a single position in first team or backup that definitely needs replacement.

For starters....who would play left back or left midfield if either of Armstrong or Hunt picked up a serious injury?

Herman Hreidarsson :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 11:57

papereyes
I can just see the same mistake that we seem to have made in every transfer window being made again.

Maybe not every window, as we've tended to sign someone.

But we've not, imo, used a window to really take the initiative. Given that it took Cisse a year and Kebe six months to get up to speed, perhaps the time to act is now. Bring in a couple of young players and give them time in and around the club to grow into a starting role.

As has been pointed out, we are unlikely to buy a ready-made player even in the case where we need such a player, so why we're not bringing in these players with potential every window puzzles me. We didn't really do it in January or the summer '06 and again in the summer '07.

Hmm I've always thought otherwise. I've always thought we seem to sign cheap young potentials rather than impact players... Reading all the above I guess I'd be quite happy if we don't lose anyone but get in some cheap young potentials who will grow into first-team competition come the end of the season/next season.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Jan 2009 12:03

I think Bouazza (should s.hunt leave) would of be an ideal replacement on loan!! He tore us apart against charlton

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Jan 2009 12:04

loyalroyal4life I think Bouazza (should s.hunt leave) would of be an ideal replacement on loan!! He tore us apart against charlton

Watford fans thought Bouazza was cr*p.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Jan 2009 12:04

I've always thought we seem to sign cheap young potentials rather than impact players...

We didn't in January '06 (John Halls ... )
We didn't really in the summer of '06 (Seol was the big signing, the other three (Sodje, Stack, De La Cruz) were all squad players and unlikely to improve with time)
We did with Halford in January '07 but for whatever reason it didn't work, but Duberry was brought to come straight in (cover for Sonko).
Summer '07 - I think Fae and Cisse were meant to come straight in and it took Cisse a year and a bit to adapt his game. Liam Rosenior arguably meant to come straight in.
January '08 - I'm not sure about Kebe - he was always going to need time to adapt but equally we needed a right winger there and then. Marek, as well, seemed to be bought to slot straight in.

Those are the main signings.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2009 12:13

Cisse was brought in as a player to bring up to speed, not come straight in. Fae just didn't work.

I expect us to make at least some sort of signing. As for Armstrong being injured, we have a few options.

Recall Murty and play Rosenior on the left.
Bring Bikey in as a full back and play Rosenior on the left.
Play Hunt at left back and either bring in Convey, or switch Kebe to the left wing and bring Henry into the right slot.
Play Golbourne
Play Kelly

None are ideal, but equally, having a well paid quality left back signed and sitting at home for the rest of the season isn't a great option either.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 12:16

papereyes
I've always thought we seem to sign cheap young potentials rather than impact players...

We didn't in January '06 (John Halls ... )
We didn't really in the summer of '06 (Seol was the big signing, the other three (Sodje, Stack, De La Cruz) were all squad players and unlikely to improve with time)
We did with Halford in January '07 but for whatever reason it didn't work, but Duberry was brought to come straight in (cover for Sonko).
Summer '07 - I think Fae and Cisse were meant to come straight in and it took Cisse a year and a bit to adapt his game. Liam Rosenior arguably meant to come straight in.
January '08 - I'm not sure about Kebe - he was always going to need time to adapt but equally we needed a right winger there and then. Marek, as well, seemed to be bought to slot straight in.

Those are the main signings.

Thanks.

But of course you're not going to identify the "young ones for the future" if you look at main signings.

I remember always being disappointed by the non-main signings, bu thinking these are the ones who will push for the future. Some have worked, some haven't. Seems that Coppel would always make these sorts of signings

For example what about the likes of Long, Mate, Mooney? Or the Icelandic lads? And others who I probably don't know because they're not "main signings". And I don't think Cisse was meant to slot in - Fae and Cisse can't both have been expected to.

But anyway I agree 100% - whether we have been doing it or not is immaterial, I agree it's important to bring such lads in. I just happen to think Copps generally does and I have no doubt he'll continue to do so. Seems to be part of his game *to me*.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Jan 2009 12:35

But of course you're not going to identify the "young ones for the future" if you look at main signings.

But I'm talking 6 months to a year, not 3, 4 years, so players like Golbourne, Bozanic (18 at time of signing) and Vasilev (17 at time of signing) are a long way off the first team when we buy them. They have little experience

I'm talking about players such as Harper and Sidwell (both in their 20s), when we signed them. Already with first team experience somewhere, already with some level of pedigree. We're buying them cheap, taking a risk that this is how good they'll ever be and turning them into the finished product.

For example what about the likes of Long, Mate, Mooney? Or the Icelandic lads?

Long - outside of the timeframe I used. I've gone from Jan '06 as we should have had more than one eye on the Premiership by that point.
Mate - loan, wasn't sure how to deal with him but thinking about it, probably the type of player I'm talking about. 1 year loan and see how he does. Add Bikey in there, my memory fades.
Mooney - I'll give you that one except that with Lita away from the club ...

The Icelandic kids are just kids. See top comment.

But most of our transfers of players over the age of 18 are recorded somewhere. So you can have a quick look if you know the right websites to look at. It isn't a total mystery who we are bringing in.

And I don't think Cisse was meant to slot in - Fae and Cisse can't both have been expected to.

Cisse was brought in as a player to bring up to speed, not come straight in.

I have to disagree. I think he was meant to have more of an impact than he did - given that he played in the second game of that season, and was on the bench for the first, suggests to me that the club thought highly of him at that time. His sending off limited his next appearance to the West Ham game. Was he not injured about then?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2009 16:35

Interesting analysis.

I think an issue is even when we do sign players who seem to be starters (Fae, Matejovsky) Coppell has this habit of waiting to see how they go in training, and for them to gel and it can sometimes take ages until we see them in action. I think this is very admirable. He has no problem buying a player for a lot of money and leaving him on the sidelines until he's ready, whatever his original intention might've been. This makes the discussion of who is for now/who's for the future difficult as we'll all have our opinions. And we know that money pent isnt' anything to go by (eg Halford or Doyle).

If this is true I respect it very much: Coppell's attitude that every player is really one of potential, even if they seem good enough at the outset. He will work with them until they're what he wants.

So should he be going for 20yo "good in 6month-ers"? ideally of course yes but I suspect it is a very difficult task identifying and then managing to buy someone in their prime, who is very likely to blossom in a few months. Surely that's the ideal everyone would like. I think Coppell has that general attitude whoever he buys... what do you think?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Jan 2009 16:57

Our competitors are signing in order to catch up with us. :wink:

Don't worry.......................

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2009 17:12

papereyes

But I'm talking 6 months to a year, not 3, 4 years, so players like Golbourne, Bozanic (18 at time of signing) and Vasilev (17 at time of signing) are a long way off the first team when we buy them. They have little experience

I'm talking about players such as Harper and Sidwell (both in their 20s), when we signed them. Already with first team experience somewhere, already with some level of pedigree. We're buying them cheap, taking a risk that this is how good they'll ever be and turning them into the finished product.

For example what about the likes of Long, Mate, Mooney? Or the Icelandic lads?

Long - outside of the timeframe I used. I've gone from Jan '06 as we should have had more than one eye on the Premiership by that point.
Mate - loan, wasn't sure how to deal with him but thinking about it, probably the type of player I'm talking about. 1 year loan and see how he does. Add Bikey in there, my memory fades.
Mooney - I'll give you that one except that with Lita away from the club ...

The Icelandic kids are just kids. See top comment.

But most of our transfers of players over the age of 18 are recorded somewhere. So you can have a quick look if you know the right websites to look at. It isn't a total mystery who we are bringing in.

And I don't think Cisse was meant to slot in - Fae and Cisse can't both have been expected to.

Cisse was brought in as a player to bring up to speed, not come straight in.

I have to disagree. I think he was meant to have more of an impact than he did - given that he played in the second game of that season, and was on the bench for the first, suggests to me that the club thought highly of him at that time. His sending off limited his next appearance to the West Ham game. Was he not injured about then?

I'm basing it on comments made by Coppell at the time of signing Cisse.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Jan 2009 10:58

In my opinion the only thing Reading need to do for this window is keep everyone they want, first time they don't really need anyone. I know you shouldn't stagnate but Reading's squad will make them finish in the top 3 now for almost definite. So the evaluation of the squad needs to come at the end of the season. We have a few out of contract and if we go up then they probably won't be required, if not then they may be kept on. Another forward was probably on the agenda but if Lita is happy to stay and is going to contribute then we don't need another one, again until possibly the end of the season. I see they are after Hreidarsson, that would be a shrewd move. A wise old head who has played the majority of his career in the Prem to help out.

Birmingham are having to take a few punts to try and give them a sprak to try and catch the top 2, Wolves are still up there but they've got a lot of youngsters and could go 2 ways. Reading are the most stable of the clubs in all honesty, there is a good balance here and providing the main guys stay will be absolutely fine.