Did you see that Tranmere game?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Did you see that Tranmere game?

by Franchise FC » 15 Jun 2009 19:26

unclewal
Whistle
unclewal Speaking as an old nob, I was there. A mere lad at the time of course but with my dad, still a RFC fan today at 94. All the stories are true. We had posh seats near the half way line (D was it?) and it was a Friday night game (it was dark anyway) against promotion rivals. RF teed the ball up about twenty feet away from us. And yes Clive Thomas (the Howard Webb of his day) did applaud the goal.

Eh? Either my memory's gone, or the pitch was a lot narrower in them days - I thought Friday was on the South Bank side of the pitch - more like 50 yards than 20 feet from D stand.

Oh alright, maybe not twenty feet but he was definitely a tad closer to the posh seats than the South Bank

I'm afraid your memory is failing you. I was on the Tilehurst End behind the goal, and RF was most definitely to my right as I looked (and therefore nearer the South Bank than the stand).

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 15 Jun 2009 21:19

Yeah I saw this piece of footballing brilliance. Looked like a hippy but boy could he play when he put his mind to it.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Jun 2009 21:27

Went to both games (age 45)

The game at EP was one of those evening games with typical EP atmosphere & actually quite close until the Friday goal - although we were 2-0 up at the time they were having a decent spell just before the goal.

I went with my grand-dad and he always insisted on going behind the town end goal (it wasn't segregated until the early 1980's) so didn't gain the full value of the goal. I think Palios (the guy who was at the FA when all the Erickson scandel kicked off) was in their side as well as Moore.

Agree the play-off away leg was the best away performance I have ever seen - their goal was a push on Williams as well (was up our end and I was right by it).

ONLY 1 ROBIN FRIDAY

by ONLY 1 ROBIN FRIDAY » 15 Jun 2009 21:43

Ark Royal Just recalled that Ronnie Moore was up front for Tranny that night and he got the tin-tack from them last week.

I was at the game, aged 12 at the time! if I am honest can not remember much about the goal, but at the time always hung around the players entrance afterwards collecting autographs of the players, see below the my book signed by Ronnie Moore and their keeper Dick Johnson on the night of the game! also other programme signed by the great Robin Friday himself. Robin Friday and Percy Freeman will always be RFC to me! but still going to games and can truly claim I was there the night etc

Last edited by ONLY 1 ROBIN FRIDAY on 15 Jun 2009 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Jun 2009 21:46

West Stand Man PS I was one of the 85k people on the South Bank for that match. We had a crowd of 2M in that evening - it was great. :wink:

I was there as usual that night, despite the inconvenience of it being a Tuesday night and what with me not actually being born for another three and a half years. Friday took the ball down so majestically he had time to record backing vocals on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Street Survivors album before turning to hit an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net from the garden of the Allied Arms.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 15 Jun 2009 22:15

floyd__streete
West Stand Man PS I was one of the 85k people on the South Bank for that match. We had a crowd of 2M in that evening - it was great. :wink:

I was there as usual that night, despite the inconvenience of it being a Tuesday night and what with me not actually being born for another three and a half years. Friday took the ball down so majestically he had time to record backing vocals on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Street Survivors album before turning to hit an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net from the garden of the Allied Arms.

Fair play to him then, as Street Survivors wasn't released until 1977.

Basics, Floyd, basics.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Jun 2009 22:21

bobbybottler Fair play to him then, as Street Survivors wasn't released until 1977.

Basics, Floyd, basics.

Gah, rumbled :oops:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 16 Jun 2009 10:08

floyd__streete

lol, fair enough.

There has been a bit of a bashing for the Robin was God/Aldershot are our true rivals bunch of oldies on here. Just let us get on with our reminiscing.

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 16 Jun 2009 10:43

I was there with some school mates.One had a broken leg so we had to sit,rather than go on the south bank.Fortunately we were level with Robin Friday when he scored that goal,and got a perfect view.Still the best goal i have seen live.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Jun 2009 10:45

The Prisoner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifEuoeshHFk for the first game - if you think things were bad last season at least you didn't have to watch that sh1t every week.

Christ, I don't remember that game but that has to be some of the most abject defending and goalkeeping i've ever seen.

I have the Tranmere play-off match on video. not watched it for years mind.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Jun 2009 13:41

LUX There has been a bit of a bashing for the Robin was God/Aldershot are our true rivals bunch of oldies on here. Just let us get on with our reminiscing.

Nothing wrong with reminiscing, Lux. Tomorrow's almost over, today went by so fast. Is the only thing to look forward to the past?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Jun 2009 13:57

bobbybottler
floyd__streete

Fair play to him then, as Street Survivors wasn't released until 1977.

Basics, Floyd, basics.

How would he know that if he wasn't even born? :wink: