Roger Smee or John Madejski?

Who do you rate as Reading's best chairman?

Roger Smee
25%
John Madejski
75%

Total votes: 108
Madstad to Nadderud

Re: John Madejski v Roger Smee THINK ABOUT IT

by Madstad to Nadderud » 29 Aug 2011 14:13

Tamworth_Royal
seahawk10 I just spent some time on Reading World watching videos on the history of RFC. In my short time as a Reading fan I thought no other chairman could match the accomplishments of Sir John Madejski.
He was able to finance the building of a new, modern stadium and saw us reach the top flight for the first time. But Roger Smee was instrumental in saving the team from becoming the Thames Valley Royals and saw us win the Simod Cup at Wembley Stadium.

So who would you rate as Reading's best chairman?

Who are you? to even post this thread without even knowing who Roger Smee and how he saved Reading from TVR back in the late 80's apart from a quick google search :roll: :roll: .
If he hadn't of saved us we would of became Maxwell's "TVR" and believe me Madejski the glory hunter would not of bothered to of got involved.
Thankfully Smee saved Reading Football club's 1871 heritage and it's name which is why you have an interest in this club albeit the Bobby Convey connection.

When Smee spent out on saving Reading Football club from Maxwell preserving it’s name, thankfully at that stage Madejski stepped in but never ever forget the what Smee did for this club and Seahawk :roll:

Without Smee NO ReadingFC only Thames Valley Royals and as proved Maxwell one of the richest men in the World in those day’s had the money and bought Derby ( a huge club then ) and fecked it up.

Smee saved the "Reading Football Club" name , the Royals, Hob nob everything we are today,
Not like a "MK Don's" we are still "Reading football club" formed 1871 thanks to Smee and him alone.

Research the history more you pr1ck before posting we "please everyone Madejski is under pressure please vote for him" post and never belittle Smee (Simod) v Madejski (stadium) thread.

Fecking Americans no sense of History because they haven’t any !

What a thoroughly lovely, racist person you are. Seahawk has every right to support RFC and take the time to swat up on the history of RFC and simply ask a question about two very influential chairmen. Believe it or not I support another football team overseas, as I happen to live there as well, and I take great interest in this club and its history and often ask questions in relation to the club's history if unsure or simply want more information. Yes, us 'Brits' (probably your terminology) have a wealth of history but sometimes we don't know everything either and some of us do let others in to support our beloved RFC.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Roger Smee or John Madejski?

by seahawk10 » 29 Aug 2011 19:06

lol, nice necro-bump! I appreciate the sentiment and support from all my fellow hob-nobbers. Tamworth is correct though, if it were not for Smee I would have never become a Reading FC fan since Reading FC would have ceased to exist. But the only way to attempt to understand what it was like to support RFC back then (or any other point in our history) is to do some research and google is a great tool for that. Floyd actually sent me an online newspaper article that detailed what almost happened to RFC. I am very happy that there is no one supporting the Thames Valley Royals.

Anyway, I am still here. Learning the history of this great club as I can and doing my best not to get into a pissing war with any of my fellow royals.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 29 Aug 2011 19:08

seahawk10 I just spent some time on Reading World watching videos on the history of RFC. In my short time as a Reading fan I thought no other chairman could match the accomplishments of Sir John Madejski.
He was able to finance the building of a new, modern stadium and saw us reach the top flight for the first time. But Roger Smee was instrumental in saving the team from becoming the Thames Valley Royals and saw us win the Simod Cup at Wembley Stadium.

So who would you rate as Reading's best chairman?

I do sound like a right cock here ^^^ too tbh.

manny96

by manny96 » 29 Aug 2011 19:58

Noble and humble responses there seahawk. Tip o' the hat.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 17 Jul 2020 16:21

Riseley The Smee camp will be chock full of old boys like me who helped the club in its darkest hour. The Sir Mad camp overloaded with youngsters who only have memories of the souless bowl that carries his name. Perhaps in twenty years wev can have another poll discussing the merits of Lord Mad versus new owner Chinese billionaire Yu Stin Ki Pu.
in light of the disgusting racism evident in my post i will undergo an unconscious bias training course.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2020 16:25

Riseley
Riseley The Smee camp will be chock full of old boys like me who helped the club in its darkest hour. The Sir Mad camp overloaded with youngsters who only have memories of the souless bowl that carries his name. Perhaps in twenty years wev can have another poll discussing the merits of Lord Mad versus new owner Chinese billionaire Yu Stin Ki Pu.
in light of the disgusting racism evident in my post i will undergo an unconscious bias training course.

We removed your statue from outside the tradesman’s entrance several years ago....

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Jul 2020 16:27

Riseley

Almost 9 years, that's a hell of a necro bump.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 16:31

Blimey. We should do this to every old post.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 17 Jul 2020 16:33

tidus_mi2
Riseley

Almost 9 years, that's a hell of a necro bump.
i an so contrite i am on the verge of apologising to Frimmers the ancient Aldershot supporter and Spacey.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2020 17:38

Blimey, how's it going Riseley, haven't seen you posting for a while.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 17:41

Snowflake Royal Blimey, how's it going Riseley, haven't seen you posting for a while.

Probably one of Vic or Kes other usernames :wink:

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 17 Jul 2020 18:50

Without Smee, and Tranter, there would be no Reading FC, only Thames Valley United! Without Madejski, Reading FC would more than likely have gone bust and there would not have been Premier League football. In my view it's a tie, there would not be a RFC without both of them,

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Jul 2020 19:33

The Royal Forester Without Smee, and Tranter, there would be no Reading FC, only Thames Valley United! Without Madejski, Reading FC would more than likely have gone bust and there would not have been Premier League football. In my view it's a tie, there would not be a RFC without both of them,

Yes a tie. Smee saved the club from oblivion and SJM took us to another level.

I would say though SJM (or his advisors) may some poor decisions when selling the club - twice

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Jul 2020 19:42

Kebe.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Jul 2020 20:46

Riseley

How do they train you to be biased if you are unconscious?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 18 Jul 2020 07:11

One of the few topics I felt brave enough to start on the treacherous Team Board forum. At least I am still here supporting the team! :oops: :wink:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Jul 2020 18:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup Kebe.

Youve only come for Kebe, only come for Kebe, you’ve only come for Jimmy kebe

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jul 2020 20:58

SouthDownsRoyal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Kebe.

Youve only come for Kebe, only come for Kebe, you’ve only come for Jimmy kebe

:lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jul 2020 22:28

seahawk10 One of the few topics I felt brave enough to start on the treacherous Team Board forum. At least I am still here supporting the team! :oops: :wink:

There was nowt wrong with your post. For the record I would have been in the Smee camp. Just.