Roger Smee or John Madejski?

Who do you rate as Reading's best chairman?

Roger Smee
25%
John Madejski
75%

Total votes: 108
seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Roger Smee or John Madejski?

by seahawk10 » 02 Jun 2009 17:58

I just spent some time on Reading World watching videos on the history of RFC. In my short time as a Reading fan I thought no other chairman could match the accomplishments of Sir John Madejski.
He was able to finance the building of a new, modern stadium and saw us reach the top flight for the first time. But Roger Smee was instrumental in saving the team from becoming the Thames Valley Royals and saw us win the Simod Cup at Wembley Stadium.

So who would you rate as Reading's best chairman?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Roger Smee or John Madejski?

by readingbedding » 02 Jun 2009 18:08

Smee helped save Reading from a merger (RIP R Tranter).
Lost loads of cash in the Property crash late 80's early 90's.
SJM stepped in, brought MMG in and gradually pulled the club away from infinite 3rd tier representation from the Football League.
Both had RFC in their best interest and did, do and continue what's humanly the best for the Club.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 02 Jun 2009 18:14

Roger Smee said Madejski......

start of a good song there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2009 18:14

Madj has taken the club further than many could have dreamed possible and has been instrumental in transforming us into a stable, well run top end championship / potential lower Prem / yoyo team.

He's all I've known, so he "wins" it for me. Assuming I have to pick one.

But Smee was a big part of saving the club from extinction and for that I am eternally grateful as well.

Both very important, in different ways and second place is by no means a loser in a contest between these two greats.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 03 Jun 2009 10:29

Both have done great things for RFC in completely different ways, in different era's of football.

The only similarity having met both on social occasions is they are both complete tossers.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jun 2009 11:12

I think John just edges it.................. :wink: :wink:

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 03 Jun 2009 13:13

Roger Smee every time. A chairman with a footballing background and appreciation of it in more ways than just a business....

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Jun 2009 13:53

Without Smee there woul dhave been no Madejski.

Neither wanted the job, and only one was big enough to carry the burden over an extended period.

Smee did the club a huge service, but had neither the cash nor the desire to extend much beyond that whereas JM has carried us forward further than we could have ever expected.

So a big thanks to both for their own contribution but if we have to have a 'top man' it's JM .

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 03 Jun 2009 16:45

Sun Tzu Without Smee there woul dhave been no Madejski.

Neither wanted the job, and only one was big enough to carry the burden over an extended period.

Smee did the club a huge service, but had neither the cash nor the desire to extend much beyond that whereas JM has carried us forward further than we could have ever expected.

So a big thanks to both for their own contribution but if we have to have a 'top man' it's JM .

Agree completely. RS saved the Royals, JM took us took the pinnacle. Both different but for me RS just edges it as he risked a massive amount proportionately to save the team from Captain Bob.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2009 17:45

Derbyshire Royal
Sun Tzu Without Smee there woul dhave been no Madejski.

Agree completely. RS saved the Royals, JM took us took the pinnacle. Both different but for me RS just edges it as he risked a massive amount proportionately to save the team from Captain Bob.

Out of curiosity, how can you "Agree completely" and then say you think it's Smee not Madjeski? That looks a lot like disagreeing to me...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Jun 2009 19:54

Refuse to vote. SJM has built this club and kept it improving pretty much year o year. RS deserves a lot of credit from saving us from oxf*rd maxwell

friday fan

by friday fan » 04 Jun 2009 12:41

I lived through the Robert Maxwell take over bid and Smee was the saviour. I admire JM's contribution but Smee had risked alot more than JM - Anyone remember Roger playing for us when we played in Sky Blue?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 04 Jun 2009 20:29

Impossible choice - like choosing between losing yuor left or right arm - both ledgends to whom we all owe a massive vote of thanks.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 13 Jun 2009 00:37

Congratulations to Roger Smee who has been awarded an MBE for his services to young children.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 13 Jun 2009 10:54

Focher Both have done great things for RFC in completely different ways, in different era's of football.

The only similarity having met both on social occasions is they are both complete tossers.

Have met Roger Smee once and Sir John twice and don't think are either tossers at all - complete or otherwise.

On what basis do you think this? Just trying to stir up a bit of controversy on the board?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 13 Jun 2009 16:23

Your a poet and you didn't know it.
If you prolong the "ee" sound on Madejski.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 13 Jun 2009 16:36

Although I have never seen SJM juggle a football I reckon Roger would beat him hands down.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jun 2009 16:45

Who would win in a fight?

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 27 Aug 2011 11:40

As others have said, they did different things for the club, for those of us that remember the time of Thames Valley Royals, it was touch and go. So Smee saved the club, but Mr M has taken us so far.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Aug 2011 12:38

Focher Both have done great things for RFC in completely different ways, in different era's of football..

Agreed

Focher The only similarity having met both on social occasions is they are both complete tossers.

They speak very highly of you of course :roll: