Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

221 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

by Big Foot » 08 Sep 2009 13:18

Seeing some of the limp wristed performances we put in last season.

In particular, it was as close to heart breaking as possible to see Little & Kitson return as shadows of the players they once were in a Reading shirt

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 08 Sep 2009 13:19

Wimb
Was that Craig Hignetts cheating goal when we stopped thinking we had a freekick?

No. It was the incompetant refeering by George Cain. Boro thought quickly and took advantage but did nothing wrong.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 08 Sep 2009 13:26

bolton defo.....at half time and 2-0 up, should have been more as Bolton were terrible, lots of people were talking about facing man u etc.....we were that in control and confident...until Bolton undeservedly won...oops...gutted

however, in hindsight it was probably good fate as im sure it would have destroyed the club had we gone up...our wage bill would have at least doubled overnight and where would the revenue come from to support that!!

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 08 Sep 2009 13:29

also watching on sky an abysmal fulham beat a totally inept and couldnt be bothered pompey on the final day of the 07-08 season to send us down from the prem.....i hope pompey get relegated this season then i can gloat on their sites

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 08 Sep 2009 13:30

Sun Tzu
Wimb
Was that Craig Hignetts cheating goal when we stopped thinking we had a freekick?

No. It was the incompetant refeering by George Cain. Boro thought quickly and took advantage but did nothing wrong.

I was seeing red mist at the time but my memory of it was that it should have been our free kick and their player who was on the line getting treatment ran on and took the kick quickly.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 08 Sep 2009 13:30

i guess the 3rd worst would be rougiers arse getting in the way for probably the most bizarre unluckiest goal ever scored for walsalls 2nd goal in the palyoff final

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 08 Sep 2009 13:37

rhroyal
Mad Dog's Ghost WCHBAP.

eh? :|

Wages Could Have Been A Problem.

HTH. :roll:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 08 Sep 2009 13:38

royalsteve i guess the 3rd worst would be rougiers arse getting in the way for probably the most bizarre unluckiest goal ever scored for walsalls 2nd goal in the palyoff final

Head, not arse. :roll:

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 08 Sep 2009 13:44

Baines The Walsall play-off final doesn't come close to the crushing and all-encompassing disappointment of the Bolton final, imo. For some reason, I never thought we were going to beat Walsall, whereas I was sure we were going to beat Bolton before the game, and I only got more certain as the game got underway.

Spot on. We stuttered our way to Cardiff and were tagged the favourties where-as in 95 it was just one long fairy tale.

The EP anti-climax against Norwich was dreadful as well. Relegation really sank in that day with no signs that we were coming back anytime soon.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 08 Sep 2009 16:31

Both play-off finals were very gut-wrenching.

The worst though was having no ticket for the Brentford promotion game so trying to climb into the away end through someone's back garden. Got spotted and shouted at by neighbours and subsequently fell off a 7ft wall, ripping a new shirt in the process. Spent the game passed out in a nearby pub.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Sep 2009 17:36

Thaumagurist*
rhroyal
Mad Dog's Ghost WCHBAP.

eh? :|

Wages Could Have Been A Problem.

HTH. :roll:

How stupid of me.....it's obvious.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Sep 2009 17:40

Probably Walsall for me, mostly because Walsall were shit. Then the long drive home on the coach, I caught sight of a Cardif fan who had a sign hanging out of his bedroom window saying - see you next year. :cry:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 08 Sep 2009 19:09

Without doubt Wembley 95. I never, ever thought we would get as close again.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 08 Sep 2009 19:11

Super Mac scoring last minute winner in front of a packed Elm park . :(
1970 , Hmm the promotion dream bubble was burst. :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Sep 2009 19:30

The first time I remember being really gutted was back in October 85 when Derek Ryan got the Wolves equaliser to end the R-B-R bandwagon.

The scariest moment of my young life had been about 10 minutes earlier when Super Trev had put us 2-1 up. God the Southbank was packed that night.

Wolves went down to Div 4 that season.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 08 Sep 2009 19:34

Platypuss The first time I remember being really gutted was back in October 85 when Derek Ryan got the Wolves equaliser to end the R-B-R bandwagon.

The scariest moment of my young life had been about 10 minutes earlier when Super Trev had put us 2-1 up. God the Southbank was packed that night.

Wolves went down to Div 4 that season.

and walking past the Wolves coaches in Norfolk Road full of Yam Yams singing "We thought they were good, We were wrong, we were wrong"

The beginning of a hatred for a club who really should have meant nothing to me.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 08 Sep 2009 19:35

I've got all the usual suspects since 2000. And whereas there have been other deeply disapointing things (the last twenty minutes against Burnley for all the reasons mentioned, driving back from Wigan with them up and us not) Walsall was just so, so depressing. We stayed over in Cardiff (I had planned a night of celebration) - seeing all the PNE and Bolton fans starting to arrive the next day with hope in their hearts when ours had departed. Horrible, just horrible.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Sep 2009 20:17

Focher Walsall play off final by a long long way.

Ditto

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Sep 2009 20:25

Both play off finals were bad because of the manner they were lost - missed pen for 3-0 V Bolton and joke own goal Vs Walsall when they were running on empty.

The relegation to div 4 in 1983 was bad - we won our game and were celebrating but Exeter who only needed a point to finish above us (I think) scored late on to equalise at Newport to put us down - the game had kicked off at 3.15!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Sep 2009 20:51

Before the 05-06 season started I was working with a Luton and a Leicester fan.

We decided to go to all six games involving those teams, and since I don't get to many games, thios was a fantastic treat.

Most gutting - I managed to see a bloody away defeat - sorry, THE bloody away defeat.
Not only that, I was in with the crazy Luton fans, wasn't prepared for the the first 13 seconds, and from that moment took some absolutely hhorrendous stick.
Felt like telling them that we were still top - but chickened out big time.

221 posts