Kebe Vs Gilkes

The Goat was fed

Re: Kebe Vs Gilkes

by The Goat was fed » 11 Nov 2009 16:09

Gilkes is a legend and was my first favourite player. Kebe is a clown. I am biased.

Is Gilkesy still on Reading 107fm? In fact, who is on Reading 107fm? I'm a loyal BBC "I didn't go to the game but we sounded awful" Berkshire fan.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Nov 2009 21:14

The Goat was fed Gilkes is a legend and was my first favourite player. Kebe is a clown. I am biased.

Is Gilkesy still on Reading 107fm? In fact, who is on Reading 107fm? I'm a loyal BBC "I didn't go to the game but we sounded awful" Berkshire fan.

Gilkes no longer doing commo on 107. We now have the cretinous duo Peter Hood and somebody Armstrong.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 11 Nov 2009 22:27

Ian Royal
The Goat was fed Gilkes is a legend and was my first favourite player. Kebe is a clown. I am biased.

Gilkes no longer doing commo on 107. We now have the cretinous duo Peter Hood and somebody Armstrong.

Not Chris, I take it?

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 11 Nov 2009 23:47

Forbury Lion
statto Who would win a race between the two? I remember Gilkes being well fast and obviously Jim is well fast, but who do you reckon is faster?

On current form, I'd say Kebe.... on historical form I think you need to add one or two others, if only to liven the race up.

Gilkes
Kebe
Long (at his ideal running weight)
Forster
S Hunt (although he would run round in circles)

Mate of mine is a Saints s/t holder and he reckons Antonio is the fastest they have seen since Theo Walcott but with less end product. It's not all about speed.

Quagmire

by Quagmire » 12 Nov 2009 00:08

Ian Royal

Though GIlkes can still be found at home games in the West Stand watching with everyone else, a true legend.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Nov 2009 12:54

Ian Royal

:shock:

FWIW Gilkes' son is a pretty handy sprinter. I'd say Gilkes in his day would have run faster than Kebe.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 12 Nov 2009 13:04

Think Gilkes' contribution is being a little bit undervalued by some here. Sure, the 1980's Gilksey was prone to hitting the Tilehurst End with every other cross, but as time went on his final ball improved immensely. If anything he relied less and less on his pace as he improved. By the 93/94 championship year, he'd perfected his delivery and played a huge role in that team. Ditto 94/95.

Kebe, in terms of speed, ability, and attitude, is a million miles away and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Nov 2009 14:52

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe If Kebe was playing against the sort of full backs Gilkes did he'd prob have a lot more success.

There were not too many attacking, athletic full backs in the lower leagues when Gilkes was at his prime. Kebe's short coming are exposed more in the modern games, cause he can't just run past players.

How we ever signed Kebe is beyond me, I do think if he'd been playing 15 yrs ago he may have had more of an impact....

But he'd still have been at junior school.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Nov 2009 15:53

Gilkes had a football brain, Kebe hasn't..

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Nov 2009 16:20

Gordons Cumming Gilkes had a football brain, Kebe hasn't..

That's harsh on Gilksey I feel.

If he had a football brain you would have wanted him to make more use of it.

A combination of his speed and some ability would have made him a huge star.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 12 Nov 2009 16:57

Gilkes knew how to make the best of his ability. Kept it simple. Push ball past full back and roast him down the flank. True, his crossing wasn't the greatest, but he'd get in the danger areas often enough. Kebe turns inside and into trouble way too often.

And Gilkes improved with age and experience. Hopefully Kebe might do the same. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Nov 2009 17:07

Mad Dog's Ghost Gilkes knew how to make the best of his ability. Kept it simple. Push ball past full back and roast him down the flank. True, his crossing wasn't the greatest, but he'd get in the danger areas often enough. Kebe turns inside and into trouble way too often.

And Gilkes improved with age and experience. Hopefully Kebe might do the same. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Agree with most of that, although I'm not sure it demonstrates a 'footballing brain'. Gilksey knew he was most effective when the ball was forty yards away from his foot !!
Gilksey definitely found something when he dropped to full back. Possibly that it was much harder to be caught offside !

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Nov 2009 17:24

Sun Tzu
Gordons Cumming Gilkes had a football brain, Kebe hasn't..

That's harsh on Gilksey I feel.

If he had a football brain you would have wanted him to make more use of it.

A combination of his speed and some ability would have made him a huge star.

Actually, running so fast cut off the blood supply to Gilkesy's brain - hence the propensity to place the ball in places other than the danger area.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Nov 2009 20:42

Gilksey weighed in with a fair few goals and was a fairly good wing back - particularly in system used towards end of 1994/95 play off season.

Great goal against Luton in Simod