Win the Cup or stay up?

122 posts

what would you rather have: Win the F.A Cup or avoid relegation?

Poll ended at 26 Jan 2010 12:34
I'd rather win the F.A. Cup
63%
I'd rather stay up
37%

Total votes: 210
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Win the Cup or stay up?

by Sarah Star » 14 Jan 2010 19:05

I was going to vote "staying up" it being the brick-by-brick, slow but steady improvement and sensible choice. But reading through this thread I'm completely converted. Winning the FA Cup wouldn't just be a one off thing, it would be something that lasts, that couldn't be taken away from us and that you could on about endlessly to your friends and relations forever... so for those reasons, I'm in!

and also because of this
Ian Royal Going down and being in Europe would be hilarious.

zummerset

by zummerset » 14 Jan 2010 19:10

seahawk10 Win the Cup without question. The global expansion of the Reading FC brand name would enormous.

Do you really think Reading has a worldwide brand at the moment SH? Waht is the potential in the States?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Jan 2010 19:14

Sarah Star I was going to vote "staying up" it being the brick-by-brick, slow but steady improvement and sensible choice. But reading through this thread I'm completely converted. Winning the FA Cup wouldn't just be a one off thing, it would be something that lasts, that couldn't be taken away from us and that you could on about endlessly to your friends and relations forever... so for those reasons, I'm in!

and also because of this
Ian Royal Going down and being in Europe would be hilarious.

I'm with the pro-winning the FA Cup.
Look what happened to us when we had a stronger team than now and had a much better chance of going a long way-Coppell fielded a weakened team to keep our first-teamers fresh for the league campaign and...we got relegated.
I have to say this is starting to feel like the Simod Cup season-play well in the cup but poorly in the league.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Jan 2010 19:17

^Agree with Victor about similarities with 1988.

I voted staying up.....the thought of seeing us back in the lower divisions fills me with dread. We would also lose some of our best young players and it could really prove to be a downward spiral.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2010 20:30

PEARCEY ^Agree with Victor about similarities with 1988.

I voted staying up.....the thought of seeing us back in the lower divisions fills me with dread. We would also lose some of our best young players and it could really prove to be a downward spiral.

I dunno, they might hang around for European football. :lol:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jan 2010 21:25

Victor Meldrew
I'm with the pro-winning the FA Cup.
Look what happened to us when we had a stronger team than now and had a much better chance of going a long way-Coppell fielded a weakened team to keep our first-teamers fresh for the league campaign and...we got relegated.

No we didn't ! We set a new record for winning the league and then had our highest ever league placing ! The season after that was an anomaly !

But I'm definitely in the win the cup camp.

Relegation is a minor worry, winning the cup would be a major triumph !

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Jan 2010 21:37

zummerset
seahawk10 Win the Cup without question. The global expansion of the Reading FC brand name would enormous.

Do you really think Reading has a worldwide brand at the moment SH? Waht is the potential in the States?

yes I do, they show Prem games now on ESPN2 every Saturday morning. People are choosing Prem teams to support everyday. Reading is obviously a much smaller club and will not pickup as many supporters as it would if it was back in the prem. But an FA Cup win would be massive. And if we ever get promoted again it will do wonders. This is the decade I think football takes off in the U.S. and it won't be because of MLS. It will because of people watching Prem games and catching the bug like I did.

tink

by tink » 14 Jan 2010 22:08

I honestly can't believe how many people are such blatant glory hunters on here. I swear to god it's all the plastics. One shot at glory and forget everything else. I don't want to be remembered as "that team that won the fa cup and were never heard of again/went into administration"

come on - the cup is temporary entertainment but the league is permanent. the league we are in is far more important in the bigger picture. sure, a cup final would be a fantastic day out, but it would soon be forgotten when we're being dragged to places like stockport, oldham, exeter, carlisle, yeovil etc every week. and there's no guarantee that we bounce back up. look at leeds FFS.

the championship may not be great, but i'd far rather be playing the likes of newcastle, west brom, middlesboro etc every week.

anyone who would sacrifice a cup final win for league position is deluded. a club is for life, not just a cup run.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Jan 2010 22:15

tink I honestly can't believe how many people are such blatant glory hunters on here. I swear to god it's all the plastics. One shot at glory and forget everything else. I don't want to be remembered as "that team that won the fa cup and were never heard of again/went into administration"

come on - the cup is temporary entertainment but the league is permanent. the league we are in is far more important in the bigger picture. sure, a cup final would be a fantastic day out, but it would soon be forgotten when we're being dragged to places like stockport, oldham, exeter, carlisle, yeovil etc every week. and there's no guarantee that we bounce back up. look at leeds FFS.

the championship may not be great, but i'd far rather be playing the likes of newcastle, west brom, middlesboro etc every week.

anyone who would sacrifice a cup final win for league position is deluded. a club is for life, not just a cup run.

Completely disagree - think you are deluded! Relegation is merely a temporary blip yet a winning day at Wembley would be something to treasure for the rest of your life. The magic of the cup is alive & well & all teams (including the big 4) take it more seriously these last 2-3 seasons & field their strongest teams.

Every player, every manager & every supporter dreams of that day when their skipper lifts that Cup at Wembley - blue & white flags everywhere. It would be truly amazing.

I'd happily accept 24th spot right now for a seat at Wembley watching Ivar lift that Cup & I am dismayed that others disagree TBH.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Jan 2010 22:16

tink I honestly can't believe how many people are such blatant glory hunters on here. I swear to god it's all the plastics. One shot at glory and forget everything else. I don't want to be remembered as "that team that won the fa cup and were never heard of again/went into administration"

You say that a club is for life, but also assume that relegation would be the end of the club. Your argument is all over the place.

And IMO it's probably the newer fans who rate "league position" as being more important than lifting THE FA CUP.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2010 22:20

Platypuss

You say that a club is for life, but also assume that relegation would be the end of the club. Your argument is all over the place.

And IMO it's probably the newer fans who rate "league position" as being more important than lifting THE FA CUP.

And also pick Leeds who are a currently on the verge of running away with League One!

We've been relegated before. We've been promoted before. Both of these things will happen again. You can't ever take an FA Cup win away from the club.

We're hardly going to do a Pompey and bet the farm on winning it either!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Jan 2010 22:40

Well said tink.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2010 22:48

Bull, you and your admirers are deluded Tink

we've done the promotion/relegation thing and will do both again

we've never done the FA Cup

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Jan 2010 22:50

a club is for life, not just a cup run.[/quote]

An FA Cup is for life too. They don't take it away!! Personally I wouldnt care less if we went down if we won the Cup this season. The likes of Norwich, Charlton, Saints could still be there & we'd have some good games to look forward to.

The deluded fans are the ones who think league position is the be all & end all. If that's the case then why not just support Chelsea?!

LOL at implying Reading would cease to exist if we went down. Bit OTT & dramatic!! If Notts County can get consortiums interested then pretty sure our club could.

We've already had the firesale so can't see how things could get much worse!

We're never going to win the PL are we so why is the league our highest priority? Silverware should be!

To be honest, the cup is a welcome distraction & I am glad we are no longer disrepsecting it as I got hacked off with the way Coppell treated the cup.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Jan 2010 23:04

wow, over 50 idiots voted for staying up? Never realised we had so many clueless fans lol

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Jan 2010 23:19

FiNeRaIn Never realised we had so many clueless fans lol

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 14 Jan 2010 23:29

Slammed i will have to disagree with you on this one.
Putting RFC briefly back on the map, a fantastic day out which will have the supporters buzzing, the media hype, the unadulterated joy of winning a cup has got to be better than the meat and potato of the league any day.

Remember the razzmatazz of Arsenal away in the cup, let alone the elation and feelings we all had for just progressing to round 4 last night.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Jan 2010 23:30

Winning the cup would be infinitely greater than staying up.

Cannot believe that any long term football fan would not exchange a couple of seasons in League 1 for a FA Cup Final Win - what a day out that would be - beating Chelsea 3-0 at Wembley in May!!!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Jan 2010 23:30

SLAMMED
FiNeRaIn Never realised we had so many clueless fans lol

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No.Not.Really.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Jan 2010 23:32

Shame Bikey won't be at the Cup game. Deserves a good reception from us.

Really hoping we tonk Burnley now & I do think we can. Viva la cup. The dream is still alive!

122 posts