Back from the game WBA

204 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game WBA

by rabidbee » 13 Feb 2010 23:36

The thing that is most surprising about Kébé's goal is that he actually won a tackle in the build-up.

On their first goal, I think Fed expected the guy in the middle (Bednar) to get a head to it, and was already trying to react for the header from point-blank when it went straight through to the far post.

Church defo onside, Dirk.

Really annoying that nobody was marking Maddock.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 13 Feb 2010 23:38

Griff at fault for both I feel. Fed shouldve saved the second too. Today did instill confidence that we can beat them artheir place though!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 13 Feb 2010 23:38

Having seen the second goal, who on earth was marking Mattock? Two shocking bits of defending and we concede two goals, it is so frustrating that we are still letting in silly goals!
Ok, so this was only in the FA Cup but still.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Feb 2010 23:39

willz_royal Griff at fault for both I feel. Fed shouldve saved the second too. Today did instill confidence that we can beat them artheir place though!

My first reaction to their first goal was that Griffin was at fault - but, like Fed, he saw the player unmarked in the middle in came inside. A 'lucky' goal to the extent that the cross was long. Or a very good one if the scorer was the intended target. But slack marking the middle caused Griffin to drift off his man.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Feb 2010 23:41

willz_royal Griff at fault for both I feel. Fed shouldve saved the second too. Today did instill confidence that we can beat them artheir place though!

Federici should have had the first if anything, not the second. As for Griffin, he was left with two men for the first goal and McAnuff totally let his man go for the second and should have tracked him - Griffin can't pick up both the winger and the full back!

Also, Ingimarsson needs to learn to head a football properly and direct the ball wide when he has centre forwards right in front of him.

Still, we put in another reasonable performance today.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Feb 2010 23:42

Not sure on the second - that was the left back, not the left-winger. McAnuff was sauntering about in the middle. Had we actually dropped into 4-4-1 after Church scored? He should have been on the right, McAnuff left and Tabb in the middle once we were leading again.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 13 Feb 2010 23:44

As I said earlier, for the first goal Griff was doing his job of covering for the central defender/midfielder not being in position to mark the man in the middle of the goal

He is the one presenting the most immediate danger of scoring and so he had to go inside and mark him. As it turns out the cross was aimed at him but they both just went under it and left the man at the back free

Ian, neither Jem or Gunnar had got back to mark the runner, they were back in the area yes, but not marking or doing anything useful. Sloppy!

Shit finish by Church and got lucky to get a second chance at it

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 13 Feb 2010 23:45

Southbank Old Boy Shit finish by Church and got lucky to get a second chance at it

With regards to this, he scored, that's all that should matter.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Feb 2010 23:47

At the end of the day it is all that matters.

Doesn't stop it being a shite finish.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Feb 2010 23:48

Kitson12
Southbank Old Boy Shit finish by Church and got lucky to get a second chance at it

+1 - church hitting the net any which way is all that matters right now.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 13 Feb 2010 23:48

cmonurz At the end of the day it is all that matters.

Doesn't stop it being a shite finish.

'greed. Would rather he'd scored first time round, but he bagged the rebound so it's ok.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2010 23:49

Southbank Old Boy As I said earlier, for the first goal Griff was doing his job of covering for the central defender/midfielder not being in position to mark the man in the middle of the goal

He is the one presenting the most immediate danger of scoring and so he had to go inside and mark him. As it turns out the cross was aimed at him but they both just went under it and left the man at the back free

Ian, neither Jem or Gunnar had got back to mark the runner, they were back in the area yes, but not marking or doing anything useful. Sloppy!

you are one miserable old scrote SBOB

were you one of the "walking-stick" rattlers that used to sit in the Elm Park Stand?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2010 23:49

Southbank Old Boy As I said earlier, for the first goal Griff was doing his job of covering for the central defender/midfielder not being in position to mark the man in the middle of the goal

Sorry, can't agree. Koran came in from wide, so not Karacan or Gunnar's job for him. Mills or Ivar should have had both strikers with Karacan or Gunnar helping them, not Griffin. Again, McAnuff is the only midfielder who you can say should have been tracking that run.

On Federici the ball coming in was nowhere near him, it was swinging in and he'd have had to go miles to get to it first. Looked like the West Brom player had got his head on it, but just went over him leaving Feds stranded with no time to react.

As for Long. Worse than it appeared when I first saw it. Can't really complain. And Mags was right, got him with the trailing foot (as well as the leading). Still think the second yellow for them was harsh though.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 13 Feb 2010 23:51

Kitson12

Its all that matters right now yes, it was a pretty typical effort from Church though, nearly good enough but not quite

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2010 23:52

I still think Church's first shot was a good effort well saved. Looked to be doing exactly the right thing for me.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Feb 2010 23:53

Ian Royal I still think Church's first shot was a good effort well saved. Looked to be doing exactly the right thing for me.

agreed Ian - very good stop from Carson and luckily Church got on the rebound.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Feb 2010 23:55

Ian Royal Mills or Ivar should have had both strikers with Karacan or Gunnar helping them, not Griffin.

But Griffin was looking across at the play, and despite those four apparently being tasked with marking the striker, none were. He had no choice but to step inside and pick up the mane was basically left marking too players.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 13 Feb 2010 23:55

Ian Royal Sorry, can't agree. Koran came in from wide, so not Karacan or Gunnar's job for him. Mills or Ivar should have had both strikers with Karacan or Gunnar helping them, not Griffin. Again, McAnuff is the only midfielder who you can say should have been tracking that run.

The man they should have been marking was the 17 who came through the middle, right past the pair of them, and then they just marked space meaning Griffin had to step inside instead of marking Koran.

I dont know how many times I have to write that for you to get it, I think you even argued that they were marking him a while back and now you seem to have changed to say they didnt need to :roll:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 13 Feb 2010 23:56

Maguire
Ian Royal I still think Church's first shot was a good effort well saved. Looked to be doing exactly the right thing for me.

agreed Ian - very good stop from Carson and luckily Church got on the rebound.

He put it in the only place Carson could have got it though, still a decent reflex stop by Carson yes, but a decent finish would have been to the put it a bit 3 feet to the left of where he did so that Carson couldnt have got to it

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Feb 2010 23:58

From that far outside the box, three foot wide of the keeper would have stood a good chance of going wide.

Chill out, he went for the chip, it was too good for Carson to hold onto, he reached the ball and kept his nerve. A good finish for a striker out of form.

Leave it at that.

204 posts