12 Years ago today.....

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

12 Years ago today.....

by Wimb » 03 May 2010 04:58

Reading 0-1 Norwich, goodbye to an old friend :( of all the players to score that day it had to be Craig f'ing Bellamy didn't it :D

Didn't go that day, couldn't get a ticket as far as I can remember, so the Boro game was my last visit to the sacred ground. I wish there was someway we could have kept the place, even as some sort of reserve ground as there was just something magical about the place. Even though I only spent 4 seasons supporting the team at Elm Park I'm thankful for the memories I do have. From my first game being a dour 1-3 cup defeat to Oldham, The Tranmere playoff semi final, the wins over Southampton in the cup and the visit of Cantona and co, it really was the place where I fell in love with Reading and football in general.

*Edit - Was going to say a generic Elm Park memories thread, but instead how about a few stories from that day, weekend instead to paint the picture for those of us who couldn't go.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: 12 Years ago today.....

by Royal Lady » 03 May 2010 09:48

I was on crutches as had broken my ankle - was a long hop back to Prospect Park and the car, I can tell you. :cry:

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 May 2010 10:09

Some fantastic singing in the Southbank that day.

'When 'icks went up, to lift the Simod Cup ...

'Run run run run Gikesy ..

Shame about the meek performance on the pitch though

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 May 2010 12:28

I loved the meeks.was my underdog comedy footballer of the year,and wasnt THAT bad!
Memories of the day are hazy,but remember being on the pitch and being generally doubtful about our future under jm. And very glad i got the opportunity to watch reading in a proper ground

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 May 2010 13:02

We didn't have a shot on target in the entire game - summed up the whole season.

I am sure we played some pre season games at Elm Park that summer (Sheff Wed?) as the Mad Stad opened late as we had to switch the first game of the new season to away (Wrexham)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 May 2010 13:04

Meaker is my least favourite footballer ever to wear the hoops. He was a oxf*rd.

And to reply to WSR, indeed there were about 5 million testimonials and friendlies played on EP after the final league game. Worst of all was seeing our current squad be ripped aprt by the FSBs golden team. That showed how far we had slipped - and we were to slip further under the attrocious management of TB2. How times have changed.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 May 2010 13:04

didnt we play chelsea in pre season that year and Paul Bodin had Zola in his back pocket all game

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 May 2010 14:58

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 May 2010 15:07

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 May 2010 16:15

Mid Sussex Royal We didn't have a shot on target in the entire game - summed up the whole season.

I am sure we played some pre season games at Elm Park that summer (Sheff Wed?) as the Mad Stad opened late as we had to switch the first game of the new season to away (Wrexham)

Are you sure? Only Boyd Butler had said he very much doubted we'd be ready for first game of season so I booked a holiday but when it was ready for the first game at home to Luton, we had to come back early as ex Mr RL insisted on being there for the first game of the season. :|

Skyline

by Skyline » 03 May 2010 16:31

Royal Lady
Mid Sussex Royal We didn't have a shot on target in the entire game - summed up the whole season.

Are you sure? Only Boyd Butler had said he very much doubted we'd be ready for first game of season so I booked a holiday but when it was ready for the first game at home to Luton, we had to come back early as ex Mr RL insisted on being there for the first game of the season. :|

First game of the 98/99 season was supposed to be Wrexham on the 8th August, but the MadStad wasn't ready so it was switched to being an away fixture instead. That's why the opening fixture was the Luton game on the 22nd.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 May 2010 16:32

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 May 2010 16:51

Skyline
Royal Lady

First game of the 98/99 season was supposed to be Wrexham on the 8th August, but the MadStad wasn't ready so it was switched to being an away fixture instead. That's why the opening fixture was the Luton game on the 22nd.
Oh blimey - I really did cock up on the holiday booking then! No wonder he was cross and we had to come back!! :oops:

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 03 May 2010 16:56

What I recall was strange in the Norwich game was Robert Fleck in his Reading shirt being awarded the Norwich player of the season award before the game, god knows how he ever won it after seeing his performances for us.

Did we not go about the last 5 home matches without scoring?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 May 2010 17:04

I think our last goals at home were Vs Stoke (also relegated) 3rd home game from end. Meaker got the second which was our last goal in the league at EP. Wasn't Chris Kamara Stoke's manager?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 03 May 2010 17:12

Mid Sussex Royal I think our last goals at home were Vs Stoke (also relegated) 3rd home game from end. Meaker got the second which was our last goal in the league at EP. Wasn't Chris Kamara Stoke's manager?

Unbelievable!

tink

by tink » 03 May 2010 17:18

I wasn't allowed to go. I was 15 at the time and it was my mum's birthday that weekend so some of her family had come over from holland so we had a big family do, and i was gutted that i wasn't allowed to go to the game. i got my mates to buy me a programme, but that was as close as i got!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 May 2010 17:20

Yes that was a day, players did not reappear for a lap of "honour" despite being told they would before the game

And there was a pointless game of Royals Ladies v the Reading "Academy" as I recall.

John Southall and Andrew Peach were covering it live for BBC Thames Valley, as it was then, from lunchtime

Given the usual standard of Reading organisation, fans were nicking all the bits they could making a shambles of the promised auction - even the crossbars were broken afterwards

And yes the last game at Elm Park was a pre season reserve game I believe. Certainly the home pre-season friendlies were played there. Actually saw Graeme Murty v Premiership Sheff Wed ( :? ) before he was crocked - or is my mind playing tricks?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 04 May 2010 05:46

Well yes it wasn't the last game there, but was the last competitive game there :roll:

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1