Graham Kemp

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Graham Kemp

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2010 20:39

strap Is there a regulation that bars local "sunday league" sides from entering the FAC nowadays? As they have the FA Vase, TA Trophy etc to enter instead?

Not sure what the rules state.

The FA Cup Rules (a) Participation in the Competition shall be open to:
(i) all Clubs taking part in a senior League or Competition sanctioned by The Association or an affiliated Association as determined by The Association from time to time.
(ii) Clubs affiliated to The Football Association of Wales participating in The FA Premier League, The Football League or The FA Challenge Trophy Competition.
(b) A Club not participating in The FA Premier League or The Football League Competitions must have competed in either The FA Challenge Trophy or the FA Challenge Vase Competitions in the previous season, and must be accepted into a League for the current season which is considered to be acceptable for entry into the Challenge Cup Competition.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 24 Jun 2010 21:26

"considered to be acceptable for entry into the Challenge Cup Competition.""

is the key. What is considered to an acceptable level? Probably any team in the recognised non-League pyramid, so the Reading & District League teams can't enter teh FAC then?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Jun 2010 21:28

I thought it was the first 5 or 6 levels on non-league but there's also a stadium requirement of some kind.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2010 21:58

Yep - it's "senior" leagues, so all the steps of the pyramid down to 7 or 8 - the grounds where ground grading applies.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jun 2010 22:02

We had a guy play for us in a pre season game and scored a hat trick Vs Brentford I think who played football in Prospect Park for West Reading on the pitch by the bowling green.

I think it was early 80' s cannot remember his name - he was a west indian guy.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2010 22:05

Wasn't Phil Stant signed from army football? Does that count?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Jun 2010 22:11

Dirk Gently Wasn't Phil Stant signed from army football? Does that count?

Yup.

He actually got into trouble for choosing us over the Army team at the time.

He went back into the army afterwards.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 24 Jun 2010 22:40

This is a great read...

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Jun 2010 22:55

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 25 Jun 2010 00:11

strap
No Fixed Abode Kemp was on the bench though for the 1st team wasn't he?

He was a non-contract player who was signed at htestart of 1991 -2 season, and released at the end of 92-3. He made the bench once as a non-playing sub on 8th Feb 1992 in a 2-1 home win v Shrewsbury.

It is clear that the team only defeated the Mighty Shrews because of Kemp's massive influence from the bench.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2010 07:51

strap
bagman I think the goalie was Colin Court, but I don't know who he was signed from.

Andover Town. A non-contract player who managed just the one start after the legendary Steve Death threw his toys out of the cot IIRC.

Not just any old game though, A 1-1 draw in a local derby with both goalkeepers scoring own goals.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 27 Jun 2010 20:30

In my one season of Reading Sunday League - 85/86 - we played Courage and I seem to recall:

1. What a fantastic playing surface they had - not relevant, but interesting to me
2. They had a striker and a keeper who occassionally turned out for Reading resvs.

Anyone back this distant memory up?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jun 2010 15:22

Not sure who the West Reading player might be, but my guess would be that it was probably Nevada Phillips who used to play for the Reserves for a while. Not sure if he played for West Reading though.

Seem to remember Courages having a player or two who played for the Reserves as well, although can't remember the names.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 28 Jun 2010 15:43

Hoop Blah Not sure who the West Reading player might be, but my guess would be that it was probably Nevada Phillips who used to play for the Reserves for a while. Not sure if he played for West Reading though.

Seem to remember Courages having a player or two who played for the Reserves as well, although can't remember the names.

Didn't Nevada Phillips plyed for Dee Road Rangers, or am I getting him confused with the Alleyne brothers?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jun 2010 16:44

Yes strap he did play for Dee Road, as did the Alleyne's who also played for the Reserve at times I think (might be wrong on that one though), but Wests are and I'm pretty sure always have been a Saturday side whereas Dee Road play on Sundays.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 Jun 2010 16:50

Hoop Blah Yes strap he did play for Dee Road, as did the Alleyne's who also played for the Reserve at times I think (might be wrong on that one though), but Wests are and I'm pretty sure always have been a Saturday side whereas Dee Road play on Sundays.

Kenny (RIP) and Clifford Alleyne both played for Dee Road - they were good friends of mine ..as was Claudius who played many years previously ...and with them the Dennys and Nevada, it was quite a potent team

under the tin

by under the tin » 28 Jun 2010 17:58

I seem to remember a fella called Max Jennings was got from local football, or am I mistaken?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 28 Jun 2010 19:01

SWLR In my one season of Reading Sunday League - 85/86 - we played Courage and I seem to recall:

1. What a fantastic playing surface they had - not relevant, but interesting to me
2. They had a striker and a keeper who occassionally turned out for Reading resvs.

Anyone back this distant memory up?

Longshot, but ex-youth team player Mark Boucher?

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 28 Jun 2010 19:47

Wasn't there a someone Matthews or something like that played once or twice in the early or mid 80's?

andylouc

by andylouc » 28 Jun 2010 20:10

both Max Jennings and Mark Matthews regularly turn out for the Veteran Royals side which play regularly throughout the season locally in charity matches alongside Mick Gooding Gilkesey and co...

Max Jennings played for many seasons in the reserves and was once picked for first team action, but was denied a spot because he had to work in the family business (jennings butchers of caversham) on that Saturday so never featured in a first team game, but still plays regularly at the sprightly age of 51 and was a local football legend in the 80's and 90's playing mainly for Theale and West Reading.

Mark Matthews featured in over 12 games for Reading mainly under Maurice Evans and actually scored on his debut against Bradford at Elm Park, but didn't feature under BraininFoot at all. He went onto play fro a string of local semi-pro teams. He now runs his own successful building company Matthews Brickwork.

Both were strikers and the players still live in Tilehurst and regulalry attend games and attend the Royals reunions, and obviously still play.
Hope this helps