Fans Forum

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Fans Forum

by STAR Liaison » 22 Jul 2013 09:13

There will be a first chance to ask Nigel Adkins questions on 30th July at the Princess Suite at the Madejski Stadium at 8pm

As usual STAR members only but membership is available on the night. Those who have renewed will be able to pick up their membership cards before the Forum

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Fans Forum

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jul 2013 09:53

Thanks, could the the questions and answers be recorded and posted on the STAR website and a link to that provided on HNA so all fans can see the results? If so can you commit to how long it would take to put up?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 23 Jul 2013 10:07

Will RL be in attendance?

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Jul 2013 13:33

If i join and turn up do i have to clap? I saw and heard in the BBC one done with Roberts a while back that everyone broke out in applause every two minutes like an excited special seal. I do not wish to clap. Thanks.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jul 2013 13:16

Hi guys, just a reminder that tonight will be Nigel Adkins' first fans forum. Get your questions ready, hope to see you all there.

Cypry

by Cypry » 30 Jul 2013 16:07

I've just decided I'm IN for this :)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Jul 2013 17:22

Cypry I've just decided I'm IN for this :)

Looking forward to the report 8)

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jul 2013 18:06

winchester_royal

:lol:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 30 Jul 2013 19:08

Not sure why people expect a report .. well, yes I do - it's got a lot to do with STAR's on-going failure to communicate the terms of reference properly.

But these forums are held under "Chatham House" rules (nearly but not quite, for the pedants!) - and the speakers come along on the condition that proceedings aren't reported and there are no press there, so they speak more freely.

As soon as reports are issued, the whole point of these forums is gone, because people won't come along and speak freely any more - so this is all lost and things will turn into just another worthless talking shop, stage-managed by the club's PR department.

Cypry

by Cypry » 30 Jul 2013 19:09

Barry the bird boggler
winchester_royal

:lol:

I've got a logon for the Conf Centre wifi, thought I'd stream it live this evening ;)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Jul 2013 19:21

Alexander Litvinenko Not sure why people expect a report .. well, yes I do - it's got a lot to do with STAR's on-going failure to communicate the terms of reference properly.

But these forums are held under "Chatham House" rules (nearly but not quite, for the pedants!) - and the speakers come along on the condition that proceedings aren't reported and there are no press there, so they speak more freely.

As soon as reports are issued, the whole point of these forums is gone, because people won't come along and speak freely any more - so this is all lost and things will turn into just another worthless talking shop, stage-managed by the club's PR department.

I know Dirk, it was a little joke about the events of last year...

While a report is obviously out of the question, it would be nice if someone could at least give Nige's performance tonight a mark out of 10

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 30 Jul 2013 22:40

winchester_royal Give Nige's performance tonight a mark out of 10

Cypry

by Cypry » 30 Jul 2013 23:01

parky
winchester_royal Give Nige's performance tonight a mark out of 10

Possibly edged a 9 for me - feel a bit more confident after that....

Marks for the silly bint who asked the question about Jobi - big fat 0

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Jul 2013 01:07

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 31 Jul 2013 08:49

Thought he came across very well - 8

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jul 2013 11:32

Summary?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Jul 2013 14:10

Alexander Litvinenko Not sure why people expect a report .. well, yes I do - it's got a lot to do with STAR's on-going failure to communicate the terms of reference properly.

But surely some reps from the club are in attendance and Adkins or whoever doesn't speak more freely really? He must be told in advance by the club what he can and can't say? Or at the very least, knowing there are club representatives there, he's not going to say 100% what he might like to say. Not saying he has any gripes at this stage in his RFC career, but you know what I mean, shirley?

I've read twitter reports of him being very open and anyone who thinks we're not trying to sign someone is very wrong, or words to that effect. But talk is cheap and it's actions I'm more interested in - we'll see at end of transfer window whether we've made the right choices/purchases I suppose....

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Jul 2013 14:27

These rules seem to have changed a few years ago as there were pretty detailed reports from these forums before that, albeit after someone got around to tying up the Q&As.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 14:36

Royal Lady

But surely some reps from the club are in attendance and Adkins or whoever doesn't speak more freely really? He must be told in advance by the club what he can and can't say? Or at the very least, knowing there are club representatives there, he's not going to say 100% what he might like to say. Not saying he has any gripes at this stage in his RFC career, but you know what I mean, shirley?

I've read twitter reports of him being very open and anyone who thinks we're not trying to sign someone is very wrong, or words to that effect. But talk is cheap and it's actions I'm more interested in - we'll see at end of transfer window whether we've made the right choices/purchases I suppose....

That's not the way it worked in the past. Steve Coppell, for instance, was incredibly open at Fans' Forums. I remember once a forum when he waited 'til SJM had left, took his jacket off sat back and said "Right, now we can talk...."

And whilst I think there might be a club official hovering in the background to see what's said, they're in no way involved in the event - it's very much a STAR event and one of the few times that NA will say things without a minder.

There's an element of trust, of course, and the assumption that "all these people are supporters of the club so won't blab because that might damage the club".

It might be hard to believe for someone who's never been to one - but it's genuinely like that.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 14:38

PieEater These rules seem to have changed a few years ago as there were pretty detailed reports from these forums before that, albeit after someone got around to tying up the Q&As.

I think players' forums are different (they hardly ever say anything interesting or debatable!), but certainly managers' forums have been published - but later, when the info isn't as "live" and with anything particularly secretive or contentious removed.