Coach Travel Aston Villa & Wigan

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 07 Aug 2006 12:45

The requirement for CRB checks and possible attendance of child protection courses is also for the protection of the adults so that they know what is appropriate when dealing with children and have protection themselves from malicious accusations. It is a ridiculous situation especially for children in the 16 to 18 age bracket.

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 07 Aug 2006 13:21

I've had a CRB check due to the fact I work with vunerable adults. Took months for it to clear. Have to admit that it's pretty gutting for those who wanted to go unaccompanied.

But on a lighter note, I'm mad and the rest of the SROT clan wont be able to travel! (with STAR anyhow)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 07 Aug 2006 15:11

Warfield Royal It is a ridiculous situation especially for children in the 16 to 18 age bracket.

Quite but it is still the situation we face.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 07 Aug 2006 16:22

So myself being 17, couldn't travel without being with someone over 18 even though i've been using the STAR coaches for years. Most of the away games I am with people over 18 but not all of the time and I use STAR to save money.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 07 Aug 2006 17:30

And basically the club are not running coaches for the 16-18 year old fans? The YR's is up to 16, and STAR is now 18 unless accompanied by an adult. :roll:

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 07 Aug 2006 17:37

I have had the misfortune to be familiar with this well meaning but badly structured legislation. (I used to administer an 'umbrella body' which provided CRB checks for member organisations) I'm no expert but I'll have a go.

The main legislation that requires these searches is the The Protection of Children Act 1999.

Under this act the only organisations that are 'required' to obtain checks, are those defined in the Act as "Child Care Organisations" the definition of a "Child Care Organisation" is detailed in the Act.

As to whether the STAR stewards on the coaches are "supervising children" (The only criteria that would define STAR as a "Child Care Oranisation" under the act) is a grey area.

I believe The clearest way for STAR to get around this would be for all members that are under 18 and wish to travel, provide STAR with a written disclaimer (from the relevent parent/guardian) acknowledging the fact that STAR is in no way responsible for the supervision of the members but just for enforcing the rules of travel.

I understand Airline Stewardess's do not have to be CRB checked by law nor do Ticket Collectors on trains who are essentially doing the same job.

I believe if STAR can put in place there own robust policy with regard to checking their stewards details (i.e. and application form and declaration) they could continue to transport under 18s without breaking the law.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 07 Aug 2006 18:24

Good post RIP Ep, hopefully that can be used in this case.
Maybe our resident STAR members/stewards/commitee members etc could see about that happening?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2006 18:44

I would hope that a meeting with RFC could clarify the situation, I understand that we have a rather good lawyer in the club.

The crazy and cannot be true is not aimed at STAR more at the chaos this CRB thing has brought in.

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 07 Aug 2006 21:08

What if your under 18 and you go on your own on the Young Royals coach, is that ok?

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 07 Aug 2006 22:46

The_Cat What if your under 18 and you go on your own on the Young Royals coach, is that ok?

Tbh the idea of the YR coach is flawed if they run 1 coach only.

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 07 Aug 2006 23:03

The_Cat What if your under 18 and you go on your own on the Young Royals coach, is that ok?

How can it not apply to them, we were advised by RFC, they are also obliged to comply with the law.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 08 Aug 2006 08:43

RIP ELM Park I have had the misfortune to be familiar with this well meaning but badly structured legislation. (I used to administer an 'umbrella body' which provided CRB checks for member organisations) I'm no expert but I'll have a go.

The main legislation that requires these searches is the The Protection of Children Act 1999.

Under this act the only organisations that are 'required' to obtain checks, are those defined in the Act as "Child Care Organisations" the definition of a "Child Care Organisation" is detailed in the Act.

As to whether the STAR stewards on the coaches are "supervising children" (The only criteria that would define STAR as a "Child Care Oranisation" under the act) is a grey area.

I believe The clearest way for STAR to get around this would be for all members that are under 18 and wish to travel, provide STAR with a written disclaimer (from the relevent parent/guardian) acknowledging the fact that STAR is in no way responsible for the supervision of the members but just for enforcing the rules of travel.

I understand Airline Stewardess's do not have to be CRB checked by law nor do Ticket Collectors on trains who are essentially doing the same job.

I believe if STAR can put in place there own robust policy with regard to checking their stewards details (i.e. and application form and declaration) they could continue to transport under 18s without breaking the law.

Thank you this is most helpful. Can I ask that you send it in a little more detail in an email to info@star-reading.org so that I can present it to the next meeting of STAR this week. I ask this as some people are understandably reluctant to take any advice from an anonymous source.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 08 Aug 2006 09:43

Have sent this link to SL, see if you can unravel it, I would not be sure,

However I would think that if a under 18 can travel on a bus without the driver being checked then whats the difference

http://www.asylumsupport.info/publicati ... ildren.pdf

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 08 Aug 2006 10:27

starliaison
RIP ELM Park I have had the misfortune to be familiar with this well meaning but badly structured legislation. (I used to administer an 'umbrella body' which provided CRB checks for member organisations) I'm no expert but I'll have a go.

Thank you this is most helpful. Can I ask that you send it in a little more detail in an email to info@star-reading.org so that I can present it to the next meeting of STAR this week. I ask this as some people are understandably reluctant to take any advice from an anonymous source.

I have sent through the info, but would reccomend STAR get independent legal advice, as I said I'm no expert (Just a gifted amature :wink: )

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 08 Aug 2006 11:52

RIP ELM Park I have sent through the info, but would reccomend STAR get independent legal advice, as I said I'm no expert (Just a gifted amature :wink: )

Thanks just got back from meetings and got it. It gives us a starting point so much appreciated

davis69

by davis69 » 08 Aug 2006 17:37

im 15 just got an away season ticket expecting to travel on star what do i do now why didnt you tell me this first.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 08 Aug 2006 17:44

It has taken you this long to post, why should they have told you??? They have announced it as soon as they knew about it.

Does an away ST include travel?? I think not.

davis69

by davis69 » 08 Aug 2006 17:47

im now realised no young royals coaches this year im nt happy one i want star to change the rules

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 08 Aug 2006 17:53

davis69 im now realised no young royals coaches this year im nt happy one i want star to change the rules

all you need at the moment is an over 18 to accompany you.

davis69

by davis69 » 08 Aug 2006 17:53

my mum dont like football n my dad lives in scotland