Linking Tickets - where is the answer?

notloyalenuffroyal

Linking Tickets - where is the answer?

by notloyalenuffroyal » 26 Aug 2006 20:38

From the Club Policies forum there can be a lot of outrage at the Linked ticket system. (Don't know how to add a link - sorry!)

STAR are apparently supporting this!

Many of us poorer fans would like a decent explanation of why they are supporting a policy that prevents people who have built up their Royalty points receiving there reward and encouraging the club in their tirade of revenue building.

Is there a chance of an explanation?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Aug 2006 10:32

If you've "built up your Royalty points" then what's the problem - you'll be able to buy tickets for the "big" game and the linked game, or just for the linked game, because you'll have points.

All the club is doing is making sure that people who come to a game against the big, popular, "plastic-attracating" clubs don't just come to that game, they come to one of the less popular games too.

I don't understand what you're complaining at - is it because this linking will make the linked games sell more quickly, and probably ensure they sell out? Can you really blame the club for wanting to do that?

Or is this a financial thing - you can only afford to come to individual games? If so, what has changed? - just because the Man Utd game is linked to Charlton doesn't mean that it works the other way round - you can buy tickets for the Charlton game on its own when the tickets go on sale.

And anyway, again - if you have "built up your Royalty points" then you'll be able to get the tickets for any match you want.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 27 Aug 2006 10:43

It's very simple:

Man Utd game in September: £32

Charlton game in November £28

Therefore £60.

Now add another family member.

= £120.

I know credit cards exist. I know some of you have lots of money. Some of us don't! Attending football is an absolute luxury for me and I go to a game once a month at the very most. To have to pay for two games at the same time because some bigwig wants to get my money in their account to get the interest is entirely unfair!

I am glad that I currently don't have a family of 2 adults and 2 kids - can you imagine the ridiculous cost!

Maybe it is fine for those of you with lots of cash. Try and put yourself in someone elses, rather worn and cheap, shoes!

And to clarify - people have already asked about buying tickets just for the Charton game and been told they can't! It has to stop!

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 27 Aug 2006 11:11

You have a point, and I agree with you. May I just ask, why was the Premiership invented? Not for the fans who go to games. It was invented for the people at home who want to sit on their big fat arses and watch it on the telly. The fact is, you're a victim of the clubs having to pay big wages because they've got to compete with the other clubs who have been at the top of this league since it's invention in 1992 and have earn't billions from it. What the club are trying to do is make sure they get the same amount of people for United as well as Charlton. Which is sad because this limits the fans who cannot go for financial reasons, or can't afford to pay it as a lump sum.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Aug 2006 13:28

Dirk Gently If you've "built up your Royalty points" then what's the problem - you'll be able to buy tickets for the "big" game and the linked game, or just for the linked game, because you'll have points.

All the club is doing is making sure that people who come to a game against the big, popular, "plastic-attracating" clubs don't just come to that game, they come to one of the less popular games too.

Royalty points were intended to be the means rewarding loyal supporters and preventing the glory hunting plastics from getting their hands on the tickets for the big games at the expense of those who attend the lesser fixtures as well. That scheme was more than capable of achieving that objective, particularly as those with the higher points could only have achieved that by having supported the club during our Championship days.

'Linking' is just another desperate attempt to bleed yet more money out of supporters and could well leave the way open for glory hunting plastics to get their hands on the tickets for big games at the expense of less affluent but more loyal supporters. Therefore I think STAR are making a big mistake and failing their members in supporting this scheme.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 27 Aug 2006 19:02

Dirk Gently If you've "built up your Royalty points" then what's the problem - you'll be able to buy tickets for the "big" game and the linked game, or just for the linked game, because you'll have points.

I don't understand what you're complaining at - is it because this linking will make the linked games sell more quickly, and probably ensure they sell out? Can you really blame the club for wanting to do that?

Or is this a financial thing - you can only afford to come to individual games? If so, what has changed? - just because the Man Utd game is linked to Charlton doesn't mean that it works the other way round - you can buy tickets for the Charlton game on its own when the tickets go on sale.

And anyway, again - if you have "built up your Royalty points" then you'll be able to get the tickets for any match you want.

There are 2 major flaws in your arguement.

1) Surely if the Charlton tickets are linked to the Man utd tickets and the Man utd game sells out (which it obviously will), then therefore the Charlton game will be sold out too. Hence you will not be able to buy a single ticket to the Charlton Game.

2) How can people build up their loyalty points buy going to the less attractive fixtures if the tickets are linked to the bigger games and only the people with loads of points can get the tickets for these games?

What really annoys me is my kids have about 95 points and really want to go to one 'big' game this season. Being from London, the Charlton game looked like the ideal game to go see a half decent outfit and bolster their points to over 100. No chance now and seems little chance they will even get to see some of the 'lesser' teams with this absolutely ridiculous linked ticket system.

why are STAR backing this money grabbing scheme!!!!

Kingsley's Kousin

by Kingsley's Kousin » 27 Aug 2006 19:15

What if people only have money for one game and want that game to be Man Utd? Please think things through!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 27 Aug 2006 19:19

RFC do not want fans that cant afford all the games, please think it through

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 27 Aug 2006 19:42

Kingsley's Kousin

What if people only have money for one game and want that game to be Man Utd? Please think things through!

And if they only want to see the Charlton game they are in the same predicament!!!

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 27 Aug 2006 21:37

The 17 Bus RFC do not want fans that cant afford all the games, please think it through

Then they are going to alienate a lot of us very quickly.

I hope they don't think that way.....

surely they don't...............

Surely STAR won't let them...............

Still Waiting for an answer STAR........

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Aug 2006 22:24

RoyalBlue All the club is doing is making sure that people who come to a game against the big, popular, "plastic-attracating" clubs don't just come to that game, they come to one of the less popular games too.

Royalty points were intended to be the means rewarding loyal supporters and preventing the glory hunting plastics from getting their hands on the tickets for the big games at the expense of those who attend the lesser fixtures as well. That scheme was more than capable of achieving that objective, particularly as those with the higher points could only have achieved that by having supported the club during our Championship days.

'Linking' is just another desperate attempt to bleed yet more money out of supporters and could well leave the way open for glory hunting plastics to get their hands on the tickets for big games at the expense of less affluent but more loyal supporters. Therefore I think STAR are making a big mistake and failing their members in supporting this scheme.

Well said.

The "Royalty Points" system is quickly losing all credibility, firstly with the Feyenoord debacle and now this.

I have a horrible feeling the club will come up with a wierd and wacky ticket selling scheme for the Darlington cup game. Watch this space.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Aug 2006 22:40

Can't see why anyone is making a fuss over this when months ago the same issues were raised with STAR/Royalty Points. Is it right that a member who ticks a box on a STAR application form can be rewarded in the same way as someone who makes the effort of travelling to 5 Reading away games who isn't necessarily a STAR member.

I happen to have nothing against the people of STAR who dedicate hours upon hours of there free time to help fellow Reading fans but they're guilty of using the points method as a way of boosting memberships.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Aug 2006 09:32

Please let me know where the club have said it will be possible to buy a Charlton ticket without also buying a Man United one.

Thanks.

PS, from the thread on CP it would appear that STAR weren't told the full story anyway - STAR were apparently told that the Man U game could be linked to ANY "lower-demand" game, not the specific Charlton game.

Does STAR's current take on the issue correspond to this interpretation or the actually implemented one?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Aug 2006 14:05

Platypuss Please let me know where the club have said it will be possible to buy a Charlton ticket without also buying a Man United one.

Thanks.

PS, from the thread on CP it would appear that STAR weren't told the full story anyway - STAR were apparently told that the Man U game could be linked to ANY "lower-demand" game, not the specific Charlton game.

Does STAR's current take on the issue correspond to this interpretation or the actually implemented one?

Sorry I have been away and I know that unfortunately STAR CAMPAIGNS is away now too.

The proposal put to us was that to buy a ticket for the big attractions for the arm-chair fans the club would link them with a ticket for any silver game. This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season. The linking to a specific game was not the deal we were told about. I will try to find out more after the bank holiday but I do know that there are several people at the club making the most of the gap between the Boro and the City games to have their holidays so am not sure what I can discover in the short term.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2006 17:53

starliaison
Platypuss Please let me know where the club have said it will be possible to buy a Charlton ticket without also buying a Man United one.

Thanks.

Sorry I have been away and I know that unfortunately STAR CAMPAIGNS is away now too.

The proposal put to us was that to buy a ticket for the big attractions for the arm-chair fans the club would link them with a ticket for any silver game. This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season. The linking to a specific game was not the deal we were told about. I will try to find out more after the bank holiday but I do know that there are several people at the club making the most of the gap between the Boro and the City games to have their holidays so am not sure what I can discover in the short term.

Those who want to work/abuse a system will always work out a way to do it, particularly against such a weak opponent as the admin side of RFC!

Linking is just a way of trying to bleed yet more money out of fans who may well not be able to afford it and it is disingenuous of the club to pretend otherwise.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Aug 2006 17:58

starliaison This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season.

What an admission this is!

Can the club explain what exactly Royalty Points are for then, if not to ensure loyal fans get first dibs on tickets?

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 28 Aug 2006 18:42

I don't have a member card due to currently being banned, yet I shall be at the UNITED game.

It's not how many points you have, it's who you know.
Last edited by alad on 28 Aug 2006 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Aug 2006 19:49

This is even causing cash flow problems for fans who were intending to buy tickets for Man Utd and Charlton.

Sadly some real fans with points will be priced out and as a result any tickets on general sale will be snapped up by glory hunters/Man Utd followers with cash will buy the tickets and will simply not bother turning up for the Charlton game or try to sell the tickets on.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 28 Aug 2006 22:11

starliaison
The proposal put to us was that to buy a ticket for the big attractions for the arm-chair fans the club would link them with a ticket for any silver game. This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season. The linking to a specific game was not the deal we were told about.

Thanks for your reply and efforts.

Have STAR considered the financial implication for "real Reading fans"?
Some may have the points, but not the cash to stump up all at once. This is still my biggest frustration and the reason for starting this topic.

1 adult + 2 kids at the cheapest prices (12 and unders) = £107. Add another adult to complete an average family and it reaches £170 to fork out all at once.

Londinium quoted as saying he wanted to bring his kids. They had 95 points. Surely these are the "real Reading fans", who aren't season ticket holders for all sorts of reasons, that STAR can help.

Thanks again for trying and I look forward to more info.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 29 Aug 2006 09:06

notloyalenuffroyal Londinium quoted as saying he wanted to bring his kids. They had 95 points. Surely these are the "real Reading fans", who aren't season ticket holders for all sorts of reasons, that STAR can help.

Thanks again for trying and I look forward to more info.

I am afraid (no I am glad) that there are now more "real Reading fans" than the stadium can hold and so someone who considers themself Reading through and through will have to miss out.

I do not like the fact that money is often the way used to differentiate but it is part and parcel of the current football scene where money is needed to keep the poor little players in expensive cars!

On that point the Football Supporters Federation is asking all football fans to contact their MP and MEP asking them to support the new Independent European Sports Review so at the moment there is something all of us can actually do to try to change the current situation. If STAR CAMPAIGNS has not put this on the General Football board I will add it there as well as on here.