Who do you want to replace Tim Dellor?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Who do you want to replace Tim Dellor?

by Top Flight » 08 Dec 2015 22:33

Whilst we're in the sacking mood and since Tim Dellor was instrumental in souring the mood around the club which eventually resulted in Steve Clarke losing his job despite the fact that we are only one victory away from the play off positions, who would everyone like to see replacing Dellor at BBC Berkshire?

I'm thinking Chris Tarrant would be a good shout to run the sports programme. He is Reading born and bred. Fantastic career in media. Very well spoken. Tons of experience on Radio with Capital breakfast etc. And he is a Reading fan. Linking Tarrant up with Adie Williams would be a great combination.

phil in cornwall

Re: Who do you want to replace Tim Dellor?

by phil in cornwall » 08 Dec 2015 22:52

I like Dellor.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 08 Dec 2015 22:55

Top Flight Whilst we're in the sacking mood and since Tim Dellor was instrumental in souring the mood around the club which eventually resulted in Steve Clarke losing his job despite the fact that we are only one victory away from the play off positions, who would everyone like to see replacing Dellor at BBC Berkshire?

I'm thinking Chris Tarrant would be a good shout to run the sports programme. He is Reading born and bred. Fantastic career in media. Very well spoken. Tons of experience on Radio with Capital breakfast etc. And he is a Reading fan. Linking Tarrant up with Adie Williams would be a great combination.

I don't mind Dellor that much but I think Adie Wiiliams is trying to be BBCRB's version of Adrian Durham or Mike Porky Parry. Supposedly playing devils advocate but in the main just stirring the shit.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Dec 2015 23:10

Top Flight Whilst we're in the sacking mood and since Tim Dellor was instrumental in souring the mood around the club which eventually resulted in Steve Clarke losing his job despite the fact that we are only one victory away from the play off positions, who would everyone like to see replacing Dellor at BBC Berkshire?

But only when we're in the PL.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Dec 2015 23:25

sandman

I saw him in the away end at west Ham when we were in the championship. I remember some of our fans on here being puzzled by the fact that he'd didn't laugh at the "banter" about his marriage break up that had been in the papers a week or two earlier.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Dec 2015 23:26

I like Dellor

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Dec 2015 23:34

He's been at the helm for too long and he doesn't know what he is talking about. He used to rate Byron Glasgow for goodness sake.

BBCRB needs to be freshened up a bit. Adie Williams has been a welcome addition in recent times but Dellor needs to go. Maybe Stuart Lovell could run the show. He was pursuing a career in media at one stage. Glenn Little might be a good shout as well to line up with Adie Williams. That could be an interesting combo.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2015 23:38

Top Flight He's been at the helm for too long and he doesn't know what he is talking about. He used to rate Byron Glasgow for goodness sake.

BBCRB needs to be freshened up a bit. Adie Williams has been a welcome addition in recent times but Dellor needs to go. Maybe Stuart Lovell could run the show. He was pursuing a career in media at one stage. Glenn Little might be a good shout as well to line up with Adie Williams. That could be an interesting combo.

Huh you said helm

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Dec 2015 23:45

Dave-Royal

that won't happen Tim dellor good

Where are you from Dave? Are you Chinese?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Dec 2015 23:54

Isn't it Glen Little's fault we have to listen to Sweet bloody Caroline on repeat.

The man's done enough damage...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Dec 2015 00:34

When you listen to other teams local station coverage of games you appreciate how good Tim & Mick work well together. I actually enjoy listening to them chat than describe what's happening on the pitch, sometimes.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Dec 2015 01:40

I actually quite like Dellor. You can't fault his passion for RFC.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Dec 2015 07:40

Yeah, it was really Tim Dellor who made an approach for Steve Clarke. It was also Tim Dellor who forced Clarke to request permission to speak to Phoney Fulham and it was Tim Dellor who didn't offer Clarke enough money.

Any blame for souring the mood around the club can be laid firmly and squarely at Steve Clarke's door. I'm no fan of Dellor, but all he was doing was reflecting opinion.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 Dec 2015 08:21

I've always like Dellor.

I have an instinctive aversion to posh people: privileged people have a way of getting the kind of jobs we'd all want - like when some Oxbridge product ends up with the good job in the media whose parents were in the media too - they didn't get there on merit, it was connection and the exclusive cultural milieu they sprang from. The BBC's cultural and economic authorities didn't grow up in social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive. So I do get why Dellor will have detractors. How can he be authentic when he had the benefits of his background? Well, I would contend that he is, at least, very good at his job, and his emotional commitment to Reading cannot be questioned.

I think that some of the ritualised disdain for him on here is very self serving. If someone slates Dellor's knowledge of football, it implies they have such an outstandingly superior understanding that they can instantly see through any limitation. There's little real argument to back up this sense of superiority. And anyway, he's a commentator, not the world's greatest authority. That's why the commentator invariably has a seasoned pro alongside them. Tim provides the ball by ball commentary that enables the radio listener to follow the game, Mick or Dillon provide the insider's view.

I've been listening for years as family and work commitments mean away games are hard to get to - especially midweek. Despite his poshness and deviations into discussions of catering arrangements, for me him and Mick are integral parts of my experience of being a Reading fan.

And no, I'm not him, and I've never met him.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 09 Dec 2015 09:07

sandman

He sits a few seats from me. Not been to many games in the last year but has been to a couple recently.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 09 Dec 2015 09:13

I like him as well. BBC Berks are to be credited for their even-handed coverage of Reading games - yes, Tim is a supporter and Williams and Gooding are ex-players, but they generally present a fair view of what's going on. Compared with the jingoistic style adopted by BBC Sussex (my local station) in their commentaries on BHA games, Dellor and co are a breath of fresh air.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 09 Dec 2015 09:33

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2015 09:40

But it is bloody irritating how little they know of what's going on with the U18 and U21s.

Last season when Tshibola was getting rave reviews at Hartlepool, Adi was talking about him as a striker who could do well upon his return to Reading, and other comments made this season about players out on loan indicate he knows bugger all about them.

I do find that both surprising and disappointing.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 09 Dec 2015 09:46

Soured the mood? Really? He refused to ask pressing questions of Clarke, especially after the Fulham debacle. It was Ady Williams and Charles Watts asking what the fans wanted to know.

If anything he's monotone and quite boring, but can't say he does a bad job when it comes to match day coverage.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Dec 2015 09:48

Armadillo Roadkill I've always like Dellor.

I have an instinctive aversion to posh people: privileged people have a way of getting the kind of jobs we'd all want - like when some Oxbridge product ends up with the good job in the media whose parents were in the media too - they didn't get there on merit, it was connection and the exclusive cultural milieu they sprang from. The BBC's cultural and economic authorities didn't grow up in social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive. So I do get why Dellor will have detractors. How can he be authentic when he had the benefits of his background? Well, I would contend that he is, at least, very good at his job, and his emotional commitment to Reading cannot be questioned.

So many hackneyed cliches it's difficult to know where to start with this. The connection you make between "posh people" and "privileged people" is something straight out of Corbyn's version of Mein Kampf and would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Just because a person can speak the Queen's English does not make them privileged, posh or anything else. Or does anybody who doesn't speak "like wot eye does innit like", a posh privileged tosser as far as you are concerned?

What is your problem with "an Oxbridge product"? Perhaps if you'd actually bothered to work hard at school, you too may have ended up at Oxford or Cambridge. (Did TD go to either??). The inference is clear that you are disdainful of people who DID work hard at school and proper university.

As for people using connections to get on in life, what century are you living in? If you cannot be bothered to expand your network of contacts and put yourself "out there", why should that mean everybody else should be shackled by your constraints? Have you never heard of the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know"? That phrase has been around since at least the time my grandfather was a boy - he told it to me years ago! It's as true to day as it's ever been, perhaps even more so since the advent of government (sic) abrogating their responsibilities to the people they were once elected to serve.

The BBC's cultural and economic authorities (sic) didn't grow up in anti-social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive in the old days - but that is the only pool they now draw from! "Meja studies" is now the de facto easy option for any "wannabe" "university" "graduate". We can all thank Bliar for that little piece of wonderful dumming down of tertiary education.

As for Tim Dellor, Mike Gooding and Adie Williams, I like them - and having met the last two can confirm they are exceedingly good people. Their accents are totally different which adds to the listening experience. Based on your ridiculous prejudices, are you suggesting TD is nothing more than a pompous privileged toff, MG nothing more than a former miner, (which indeed his father was), and AW nothing more than an a wide-boy comprehensive drop-out?

Never judge a book by its cover, (which is really all I needed to say really). I got out of the wrong side of the bed again today, and reading your drivel just sent me over the edge. Apologies, I have too much time on my hands.