Your next Friday night guest

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Your next Friday night guest

by RoyalBlue » 03 Feb 2008 19:20

Surely it has to be none other than the Chairman of Reading Football Club, Mr John Madjeski, himself?

Yesterday your guys on the footie show said that he was a shy person. Shy as a person maybe, but certainly not publicity shy.

He didn't appear to mind too much being right in the centre of the spotlight when things were going really well. With the club now facing a very real and significant threat of relegation from the Premier League, surely it is time for him to be seen and heard again?

Trust you guys at BBRB will do your best to arrange this.

BBC Radio Berkshire

Re: Your next Friday night guest

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 04 Feb 2008 18:20

Consider a request made.

It was me who said he was shy during Saturday's programme. I think that's fair. Compare Mr Madejski's reluctance for media exposure to, say, Tom Hicks, Dave Whelan, Daniel Levy.

Anyhoo, I'll let you know if the Chairman says yay or nay.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 04 Feb 2008 18:26

BBC Radio Berkshire Consider a request made.

It was me who said he was shy during Saturday's programme. I think that's fair. Compare Mr Madejski's reluctance for media exposure to, say, Tom Hicks, Dave Whelan, Daniel Levy.

Americans say yay
Horses say nay

Mr. Mad is unlikely to say either of these things.

Idiot.

p.s. Please sponsor me :)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Feb 2008 18:32

Transcript on next week's show with Mr Mad.

Tim : Who's our first caller?
Caller : It's Clive from Calcot here.
Tim : What would you like to ask Mr Madejski?
Caller : I'd like to ask him about why he didn't spend more money in the transfer window.
Mr M : The money was there to spend on suitable players ... I didn't get involved in transfers, I leave that to Nick Hammond .... building brick by brick ..... everyone doing the best they can ... need everyone to pull together....happy to sell to a billionaire to take the club forward....
Tim : Thanks Clive for your question. Now, if anyone else would like to ask Mr Madejski a different question the number is 08457 900 1041.

Cue 57 minutes of filler, traffic alerts, trailers for other BBCRB shows etc as the realisation dawns on all that there's only one question that can be asked of JM and once he bats it aside that's the end of the show!

BBC Radio Berkshire

by BBC Radio Berkshire » 04 Feb 2008 18:44

At least if he was only on for 3 minutes, you'd have to admit he was fairly shy.

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 04 Feb 2008 19:07

If he was on the Radio I would like to ask, that given without his input to Reading football club, the club would probably have been reduced to an amateur outfit, battling it out with Aldershot some ware in the Pyramid system of English non league,
instead of Lording it in the Premiership/Championship with a fantastic modern stadium- how does he feel about these people who constantly moan about him, when without his input we would have NOTHING.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Feb 2008 19:10

Beelzebub If he was on the Radio I would like to ask, that given without his input to Reading football club, the club would probably have been reduced to an amateur outfit, battling it out with Aldershot some ware in the Pyramid system of English non league,
instead of Lording it in the Premiership/Championship with a fantastic modern stadium- how does he feel about these people who constantly moan about him, when without his input we would have NOTHING.

Make sure you take a deep breath first. :wink:

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 04 Feb 2008 19:13

Make sure you take a deep breath first.

Yup, forgot to add, stop halfway through and breath, could be a fatal question! :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Feb 2008 20:39

Dirk Gently
Beelzebub If he was on the Radio I would like to ask, that given without his input to Reading football club, the club would probably have been reduced to an amateur outfit, battling it out with Aldershot some ware in the Pyramid system of English non league,

Make sure you take a deep breath first. :wink:

Indeed - it would be hard to breathe with his nose shoved that far up....

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 04 Feb 2008 20:51

Indeed - it would be hard to breathe with his nose shoved that far up....

Bit rich coming from a moderator!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Feb 2008 19:51

BBC Radio Berkshire Consider a request made.

Thanks for your response, although we will very definitely have to disagree about his reluctance for media exposure even compared to Dave Whelan and co.

Stadium named after him, A City Academy named after him (and he certainly wasn't slow in pointing that out when one of the football programmes filmed an interview with him on his Madjeski stadium Penthouse balcony a couple of seasons back) a gallery named after him etc. etc. We then have a double page spread in The Director magazine + picture on the front cover and numerous other media interviews, appearances etc.. If you are seeking to avoid media exposure you don't tend to have showbiz celebrities either side of you at games. Nor does a series of personalised number plates suggest a shrinking violet. Paul Getty he is not!

If you really believe he did it for purely philanthropic reasons then I would suggest that you are incredibly naive. He certainly didn't tick the no publicity box when he started out on the venture.

And if it wasn't for Roger Smee (a former player who truly did it for Reading FC and messed up his own business in the process) there wouldn't have been a club for our current Chairman to have 'rescued'.

As Smee proved, white knights can ride in from all, including unexpected, directions.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1