Should Dellor Be Sacked?

156 posts

After his altercation on Saturday, and general negativity.

yes
21%
no
79%

Total votes: 174
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Should Dellor Be Sacked?

by readingbedding » 14 Dec 2009 14:52

Booing after a bad home performance, happens everywhere in League football so they say.
It's in Fashion as BA would say.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 14:56

Schards#2 I don't agree with Dellor's take but it's not that fanciful. If I was a Sheff Wed fan i'd be more pissed off by the 0-2 against reading than the 0-4 against West Brom the previous week.

Scunthorpe were absolute dross whereas Palace were not and Dellor's comment is in that context.

As you say though, regardless of the context, Rodgers sounded a complete tool.

They may have been dross, I don't think they were all that bad but we did tear them apart at times, but you're forgetting this is a side that has 23 points already this season and have beaten Newcastle, Sheff U and Palace which is more than we have.

If they were adrift at the bottom of the table the context you and Dellor put it in might have a bit more credence, but when they're a side in a similar position to us I don't see why we should be expecting to bury them easily.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Dec 2009 14:59

Hoop Blah
Schards#2 I don't agree with Dellor's take but it's not that fanciful. If I was a Sheff Wed fan i'd be more pissed off by the 0-2 against reading than the 0-4 against West Brom the previous week.

Scunthorpe were absolute dross whereas Palace were not and Dellor's comment is in that context.

They may have been dross, I don't think they were all that bad but we did tear them apart at times, but you're forgetting this is a side that has 23 points already this season and have beaten Newcastle, Sheff U and Palace which is more than we have.

If they were adrift at the bottom of the table the context you and Dellor put it in might have a bit more credence, but when they're a side in a similar position to us I don't see why we should be expecting to bury them easily.

On the day, they were dross and should have been hammered.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 15:11

Schards#2
Hoop Blah

On the day, they were dross and should have been hammered.

So what you're saying is we made them look bad?

We can't have been that bad ourselves then surely? If, and I'll say it again it's a big big if, we'd put away a couple of those chances that hit the woodwork of slipped passed the wrong side of a post we'd have hammered them. That we didn't do that is not good of course, but it does show that we're making progress.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Dec 2009 15:16

Hoop Blah
So what you're saying is we made them look bad?

We can't have been that bad ourselves then surely? If, and I'll say it again it's a big big if, we'd put away a couple of those chances that hit the woodwork of slipped passed the wrong side of a post we'd have hammered them. That we didn't do that is not good of course, but it does show that we're making progress.

same against peterborough in september
Reading manager Brendan Rodgers:
"There is no way we should have come out of the game with anything less than three points. We were excellent in the first half when we scored two goals and could easily have led by three or four.

same against Leicester 6 weeks ago
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that we are lacking something at the top of the pitch.

same against derby 3 weeks ago
"We looked as though we could go on and score more goals but then we let in two soft goals which was disappointing from our point of view."

After Scunthorpe
I thought the boys played really well and the performance level was good. Scunthorpe's goal should only have been a consolation for them but it turned out to be their equaliser.

where is this progress?
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 14 Dec 2009 15:24, edited 4 times in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Dec 2009 15:18

Ideal I have to say I listened to that now, and contrary to what Royalee says, it was much worse than I thought.
You can really hear the anger in Rodgers, in the middle part, he is slurring his words as if he is clamping his teeth together in anger, really stiff lip sounding talk, and dragging the words on. Sounds to me like he nearly lost it completely there.

TD: "So Brendan, 21 games in, do you think the team is getting better or struggling to get better?"

BR: "I think you seen today, we're certainly improvin...it's just the consistency isn't it, I thought today was *phroaaah*, I thought we were very very good today, apart from *phroooah* takin our opportunities, you know, some of our play was outstandin, and you know, we played some terrific stuff on the pitches, you know, obviously we were disappointed at the end, but by then it should have been four or five nil, so you know, there's obviously progress in what we've been doin, so its just a case of makin that consistent, and you know, like I've always said, I need my time to, you know, bring in the types of players that are going to kick us on, you know, and that obviously takes that bit of time."

TD: "Missed chances at both ends towards the end weren't there, I mean there were a couple of clear cut chances where Scunthorpe could have scored, and another way of looking at it would be that Scunthorpe could have won 2-1 in the end?"

BR: "Yep, no no, absolutely. The boy at the end. I thought we would have lost that game at the end. I mean to draw it, but to lose it would have been, woahhhh, criminal really, so you know... so you cant stand and say we didn't deserve to win the game, you know, we we, you know, clearly deserved to win it, but we conceded a really really poor goal you know, we need to stop first of all the cross, into the box, and it gets in too easy, and there is a little combination and the guy finishes it well, but but... as I said! That should have been a conshol.. consh.. concolation goal for them, the game should have been dead and buried by then."

TD: "Do you think some fans... to be honest I am absolutely gobsmacked that you were as impressed with Reading today as you sound, a lot of fans, I think, thought it was worse than tuesday?"
(Moments silence)
"Do you understand that some fans may have thought it was worse than tuesday?"

BR: "..Youuu.. thought it was worrrseee than tuesdaaay?!"

TD: "Yeah I did yeah, but I thought you were probably harder on your team on tuesday than I was, you know I thought that perhaps they played better on tuesday than they did today, and maybe as well I'm looking at games.." (interrupted)

BR: "Yeah, well obviously you look at football through a total different... total different set of glasses."

TD: "well absolutely you are far more qualified than me to make judgements on the team, and that's fine, obviously you have a week to prepare for Bristol City, ehm, what will you do between now and then?"

BR: "I will make sure.. that yoouuu.. don't have any involvement in the preparasshin."

TD: "Well, I know that, I wouldn't expect to be either."

BR: "If you're saying that that was worse today... then you are certainly not a supporter of this club."

TD: "It's not about being a supporter, I am just trying to work out where we are with this at the moment. So, eh.. yeah.. eh.. besides me not having any involvement, what will you be doing over the next week?"

BR: "We'll be working hard."

TD: "Yeah. Unlucky with the selection at the start, Ryan Bertrand..." (interrupted)

BR: "Ryan Bertrand was ill. Ehhh.. obviously before the game. And we had to obviously change the team around and put Tabb in at left back."

TD: "And he did a good job."

BR: "Yeah, no, Tabby was excellent, he can fill in, he's multifunctional. Shauns come in after his first number of games out and performed well."

TD: "Thanks Brendan, Cheers."

I don't see much wrong with what either of them said.

Storm in a tea cup.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 14 Dec 2009 15:22

Schards#2 Scunthorpe were absolute dross whereas Palace were not

Agreed. I must admit I thought we were marginally better overall against Palace, although really there wasn't too much difference between the performances. It's just that Palace have more players capable of ripping through our defence. There was an inevitability about both results that makes all argument over which was worse irrelevant. This is the most worrying aspect.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 14 Dec 2009 15:23

rogers is absolute bellend, dellor was asking what most of us were thinking....get rid of rogers asap

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 15:24

It's progress from the start of the season and last season where we couldn't create a chance at home.

I totally agree we need to start to take a greater ratio of these chances if we're going to pull clear to a more comfortable and respectable position, and if we don't we'll be hovering around the drop zone for the rest of the season, but Rodgers is trying to address that.

He's recognised the need for a loan forward but failed in getting one. He's signed a forward who'll be available to play in a couple of weeks time, and he'll also have the likes of Church and Long back to supplement them (I still don't think either is good enough).

He'll also have January to make further improvements to the squad. In my opinion, any manager coming into the club this year deserves to be given at least until March, if not the end of the season, to try and rebuild this squad.

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 14 Dec 2009 15:24

What a childishly OUTSTANDING response by Rodgers. :roll:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Dec 2009 15:27

Hoop Blah It's progress from the start of the season and last season where we couldn't create a chance at home.

I totally agree we need to start to take a greater ratio of these chances if we're going to pull clear to a more comfortable and respectable position, and if we don't we'll be hovering around the drop zone for the rest of the season, but Rodgers is trying to address that.

He's recognised the need for a loan forward but failed in getting one. He's signed a forward who'll be available to play in a couple of weeks time, and he'll also have the likes of Church and Long back to supplement them (I still don't think either is good enough).

He'll also have January to make further improvements to the squad. In my opinion, any manager coming into the club this year deserves to be given at least until March, if not the end of the season, to try and rebuild this squad.

don't judge him after 4 games I was told, you need to give him 10 or 12

then it became don't judge him after 10 games, you need to give him half a season

now I need to give him till march or even the end of the season?

mad79

by mad79 » 14 Dec 2009 15:31

Why sack dellor i have been wating for weeks for him to put the prick BR on the spot. BR is a man under pressure. Not from the chairman but the fans who are fed up with him talking bollocks
Last edited by mad79 on 14 Dec 2009 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Dec 2009 15:32

It all depends who you listen to Weybridge.

I said 10 games to start seeing improvement and look like a team that can stay in the championship, for a few games we got that. Then we ended up with a serious striker shortage and the goals are now harder to come by which isn't enough to make up for our defence being so leaky. But over all performances are still in my opinion positive, bar the occasions where we come up against teams that are just plain better.

But I've always maintained he'd need a full season before we'd start to actually see a good team. And I stand by that.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Dec 2009 15:38

ZacNaloen It all depends who you listen to Weybridge.

I said 10 games to start seeing improvement and look like a team that can stay in the championship, for a few games we got that. Then we ended up with a serious striker shortage and the goals are now harder to come by which isn't enough to make up for our defence being so leaky. But over all performances are still in my opinion positive, bar the occasions where we come up against teams that are just plain better.

But I've always maintained he'd need a full season before we'd start to actually see a good team. And I stand by that.

I think I agree with you, Zac. Before the QPR game, I was thinking: Give him until xmas. Then the defeat to QPR made me want to revise my opinion and we subsequently lost to Leicester even though we played so much better. All the results between then and up to the Palace game showed what we are capable of and I felt that maybe I'd give him more time beyond Xmas. The Palace game has made me want to go back to the Xmas "deadline", because we are, effectively, back in the shit. I had expected to get 6 points from those two games.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 15:40

Exactly Zac.

I've said all along that he needs to be given time to have any impact. I think I've always said that that time period is probably at least the whole season too.

You can judge progress and success at various milestones of course, but I really don't think we should be making a decision on his long term success at any of those short term milestones. The only time I think that would be up for revision is if he lost the support of the players. I still don't think that's been the case.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 16:03

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-ebooks/tactical-theorems-10/

Someone needs to get Dellor to read this, he might actually learn something.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 14 Dec 2009 16:05

First time I've heard it, and quite frankly I find the reaction quite pathetic. A spoilt child's reaction, a Royalee-type reaction to someone who, speaking on behalf of others as well as himself, has a differing opinion. Dellor clearly grasped the word "outstanding" when Rodgers said "some of our play was outstanding" and to a certain degree going forward it was so obviously far too much for Scunthorpe to handle. Outstanding against such inferior opposition? Probably not. Dellor could have been a bit more tactful when he stated that he found it quite astonishing that Rodgers found the performance "outstanding", but the reaction is just very strange and, dare I say it, completely unprofessional. Nothing wrong with Dellor's line of questioning, everything wrong with Rodgers' responses.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Dec 2009 16:06

outstanding my arse

outstanding was when we were beating teams of a similar standing to scunthorpe 5-0 with convey running half the length of the pitch before scoring

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 14 Dec 2009 16:07

Royalee http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-ebooks/tactical-theorems-10/

Someone needs to get Dellor to read this, he might actually learn something.

He'd learn more from that than he would reading Brendan's book :lol:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Dec 2009 17:33

I think the Scunthorpe performance was better than the Palace performance. For a start we didn't concede 4 goals and we got a point rather than none.

156 posts