Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

154 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

by windermereROYAL » 29 Mar 2023 14:33

bluerinse Better to move Club 1871 to Upper West, and expand South Stand to accommodate 4000 away supporters and increase revenue for the club. There are plenty of "bigger " clubs in the Championship next season who have good away support, especially if Southampton and Bournemouth get relegated.

Shut up, our home form is bad enough without making it a home game for visiting teams. just give them what they are entitled to, end of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2023 17:52

RFCMod Would love having home fans behind both goals but the small percentage being moved from the Upper West if relocated behind the goal wouldn't make an impact on the 2000 empty seats
Club 1871 works because everyone sits together and builds the atmosphere in a small space,open the South Stand up and suddenly you have the lads wanting to give it large to the away fans either shifting across to sit beside them or charging across the empty seats when any action happens
Obviously there's plenty who want to move to 1871 but not a couple of thousand

Good way of identifying and banning the plebs

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Mar 2023 20:17

Wouldn't be too opposed to the club trying this.

Club 1871 needs a bit of a reboot imo. Obviously the turgid football being served up has a negative impact, but they've gone a bit flat, and aren't quite creating the atmosphere that they did at first.

Away fans singing "shall we sing a song for you" in recent weeks isn't exactly a good look for our "singing section".

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Mar 2023 23:13

Brogue Lots of things to consider

They currently have; R30, R31, R32

So I guess they are saying they won’t have that anymore and will move to GU1 GU2 & GU3? Or not GU3? Is GU3 classed as upper west corner, or just upper west?

Or will they have GU1 & GU2 and R32 for instance.

If Reading fans get the whole of the south will they open up the interior doors in the concourse and make it open plan like in the north?

I would suggest that those in the upper west i.e GU4 would be quite pissed off to have the away fans so close to them. They are the more expensive seats. If the the away supporters were moved there I can see a lot of Reading fans moving seats to be further away from them. Unless of course they plan to only give them GU1 and GU2 and put the segregation sheets over the seats in GU3. Which brings the question - How will segregation work in the seated bowl if they move?

I assume the concourse can be segregated with the blue internal doors. Will it reduce the number of bars the home fans can use in the upper west? As one will have to go to the away fans now I guess.

How many seats are in GU1 and 2? What would be the new away allocation?

Would this mean that club 1871 would be able to expand into R29, R30, and R31 permanently?

Also not sure about having away fans sat above home fans with the potential for them to throw things down to the Reading fans in the lower west.

The club can put netting above the lower tier to stop fans throwing stuff

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Mar 2023 23:34

We could give GU1-GU3 (both tiers) to solve the issue of fans mixing as the entrances are next to each other. That's probably around 2.5k capacity in that area there. We can then remove the segregation in the south stand and net off the corner.

The executive boxes around that part of the ground are always empty, we could close that off and add a few extra seats.

Would allow us to give a slightly bigger allocation than we do now (a bit of extra revenue) whilst having fans behind both goals.

In the cup we could offer half the south stand too (in theory 4.6k allocation there).

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Mar 2023 09:15

Royal_jimmy

So I guess they are saying they won’t have that anymore and will move to GU1 GU2 & GU3? Or not GU3? Is GU3 classed as upper west corner, or just upper west?

If Reading fans get the whole of the south will they open up the interior doors in the concourse and make it open plan like in the north?

I would suggest that those in the upper west i.e GU4 would be quite pissed off to have the away fans so close to them. They are the more expensive seats. If the the away supporters were moved there I can see a lot of Reading fans moving seats to be further away from them. Unless of course they plan to only give them GU1 and GU2 and put the segregation sheets over the seats in GU3. Which brings the question - How will segregation work in the seated bowl if they move?

I assume the concourse can be segregated with the blue internal doors. Will it reduce the number of bars the home fans can use in the upper west? As one will have to go to the away fans now I guess.

Would this mean that club 1871 would be able to expand into R29, R30, and R31 permanently?

Also not sure about having away fans sat above home fans with the potential for them to throw things down to the Reading fans in the lower west.

Think this is a fair sensible solution - IIRC (and I might not be as I've not been there for ages), they do this at Brammal Lane, but the other way around with away fans being on the bottom.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Apr 2023 10:46

Hendo
Royal_jimmy

Think this is a fair sensible solution - IIRC (and I might not be as I've not been there for ages), they do this at Brammal Lane, but the other way around with away fans being on the bottom.

Nottingham Forest has it as well

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Apr 2023 12:55

Royal_jimmy
Hendo
Royal_jimmy

Ah yeah, good shout.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 May 2023 10:26

Wonder if this will happen next season? We'll get a clue when season tickets come out on which parts of the ground are available.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 May 2023 11:07

Hendo
Royal_jimmy
Hendo

Ah yeah, good shout.

Wolves/villa - plenty of examples on split tier with away fans on the bottom.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 May 2023 11:23

At the United game we were in a section below United fans, think this sort of separation is common and I'm glad the club is looking at limiting away fan influence at games. Imagine if we return to the good times and have 22k home fans with c1871 leading the atmosphere? Would be potentially epic.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 May 2023 15:32

The away end is indeed changing a bit.

Away fans will get the south stand (R30-R32 blocks) as usual as well as GU1-GU4 in the upper west. That allows up to 3.5k away allocations which makes sense. Not sure we'll let Oxford have that many tickets though.

Would be silly to cap away followings to 2k when we have a lot of local games next season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 May 2023 15:59

Why is G3 coloured red?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 May 2023 16:01

windermereROYAL Why is G3 coloured red?

when I shared the pic, I think I'd clicked on that block which is why it is red.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 May 2023 08:01

Royal_jimmy The away end is indeed changing a bit.

Away fans will get the south stand (R30-R32 blocks) as usual as well as GU1-GU4 in the upper west. That allows up to 3.5k away allocations which makes sense. Not sure we'll let Oxford have that many tickets though.

Would be silly to cap away followings to 2k when we have a lot of local games next season.

Does anyone know if away fans will get the GU blocks first or only as an extended allocation?

I would've though the GU blocks will be sold first as that would allow us to give a few hundred tickets to smaller clubs, whilst being able to sell the whole South Stand to home fans if there's demand for it (ie. less seats taken up by segregation). However the GU blocks are in a higher pricing category.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 May 2023 09:27

Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy The away end is indeed changing a bit.

Does anyone know if away fans will get the GU blocks first or only as an extended allocation?

I would've though the GU blocks will be sold first as that would allow us to give a few hundred tickets to smaller clubs, whilst being able to sell the whole South Stand to home fans if there's demand for it (ie. less seats taken up by segregation). However the GU blocks are in a higher pricing category.

I think it'll be as an extended allocation mainly due to the entrances of those blocks being next to the lower west stand blocks.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 May 2023 09:47

The GU blocks will surely be more expensive so I would expect travelling fans will be given the option every game if they want to sit there.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 16 May 2023 12:42

I think if they’re going to expand C1871 in the South Stand, surely they becomes the “home” end and with the North Stand becoming sparser and sparser, there’s grounds to move the away fans there, or to the North/East corner which is barren wasteland nowadays.

As it stands, the atmosphere is incredibly lop-sided to 1 end of the pitch, which can’t help the players when they are shooting towards the other end in the second half

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2023 17:56

Notts Royal I think if they’re going to expand C1871 in the South Stand, surely they becomes the “home” end and with the North Stand becoming sparser and sparser, there’s grounds to move the away fans there, or to the North/East corner which is barren wasteland nowadays.

As it stands, the atmosphere is incredibly lop-sided to 1 end of the pitch, which can’t help the players when they are shooting towards the other end in the second half

North Stand is the family stand. No way away fans will be sent there in part or full. Plus the whole point is to minimise their presence in an end which is a much better location for generating noise.

Half South plus Upper West means we can charge away fans more with large crowds. You have to offer tickets at the same prices as equivalent seats for home fans. But if 4000 Pompey fans want to come at least 1000 need to pay upper West prices.

And that part of the upper west had limited occupancy whe n we were in the PL let alone now. It was sometimes the only place I could get tickets when I make a game. And there were always spare seats.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 May 2023 18:58

The design of the ground isn't great for letting away fans sit anywhere but behind the goal really.

The club should change the south stand so it can be segregated/netted properly if clubs take a smaller allocation

154 posts