Where have all the fans gone?

Scrappy

Re: Where have all the fans gone?

by Scrappy » 22 Aug 2010 01:38

Junction 11 has been a nightmare recently, can see that being one of the deciding factors for fans coming from further afar.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Aug 2010 07:49

Where do you think they've gone? Not impressed by the lack of ambition and not swallowing the attempted PR cr*p coming out of the club.

Rightly waiting for a squad to take shape that looks well balanced, plays good football and doesn't struggle to deliver results....

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 22 Aug 2010 10:22

£27 for a pay-on-the-day match day adult ticket :shock: - basically kills of any chance of attracting fans who may decide to come to the game on the spur of the moment. Absolutely ridiculous pricing policy given that the season ticket for an east stand seat is the equivalent of £17 a game. Really don't understand this approach by the club- sell the tickets for £20 or so, get the bums on seats, they'll buy more over priced food and replica shirts, and hopefully they become hooked on the brand. However our club seem to prefer charging people through the roof and looking at empty seats. An absolute no brainer IMHO

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Aug 2010 13:17

Terminal Boardom
Pseud O'Nym
Terminal Boardom Reading v Nottm Forest 2009/10 Attendance: 19,640
Reading v Nottm Forest 2010/11 Attendance: 17,324

That is curious. I believe ST sales are about the same as last year, so maybe a lot of Forest fans attended? Or maybe a lot of North Standers came to point and stare at a new manager?

BTW, as you're no longer a Reading supporter, why post on here? Does the new object of your affections not have a board where you can criticise them?

I have already seen one Reading game this season. I may choose to watch another but this is not the point. The world and its aunt bleat consistently about the daft old coot not putting his hand in his pocket and spunking a few bob on a new central defender. Maybe the figures above can go towards explaining why there is no money.

A vicious circle. The 'daft old coot' seems unlikely to change his approach so figures could well decline further.

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 22 Aug 2010 13:33

I couldn't make it yesterday as I was playing a far more important game of local league cricket.

Someone else had my season ticket for the match who wouldn't normally have gone so you never know if our crowd v Palace is one more than the equivalent game last year you know where the extra one came from.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 22 Aug 2010 18:36

Terminal Boardom
Pseud O'Nym
Terminal Boardom Reading v Nottm Forest 2009/10 Attendance: 19,640
Reading v Nottm Forest 2010/11 Attendance: 17,324

That is curious. I believe ST sales are about the same as last year, so maybe a lot of Forest fans attended? Or maybe a lot of North Standers came to point and stare at a new manager?

BTW, as you're no longer a Reading supporter, why post on here? Does the new object of your affections not have a board where you can criticise them?

I have already seen one Reading game this season. I may choose to watch another but this is not the point. The world and its aunt bleat consistently about the daft old coot not putting his hand in his pocket and spunking a few bob on a new central defender. Maybe the figures above can go towards explaining why there is no money.

:oops:
Apologies for completely misunderstanding your point.

The attendance figure for the Forest home game last season is a bit of an oddity though, way higher than nearly all other home games. The only other league games that season with comparable figures are the (relatively) local derbies.

The figure for Scunthorpe at home this season is slightly (640) up on last season, but we were at the absolute nadir of our shitness at that point, so that doesn't really prove much I suppose.

Medusa?

by Medusa? » 22 Aug 2010 20:15

Scrappy Junction 11 has been a nightmare recently, can see that being one of the deciding factors for fans coming from further afar.

I'd say that would be highly unlikely to be much of factor.

However, fuel being the best part of 120p per litre, and the M25 roadworks adding 30-60 minutes to a journey (so far this season) may dissuade a couple. But that won't make much dent on the 2000 punter deficit

Magnus

by Magnus » 22 Aug 2010 21:30

^ 'greed. I think whoever pointed out it's now 27 quid for a matchday ticket was closer to the money.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 22 Aug 2010 22:18

frimmers3 perhaps when you are relegated at the end of this season and the second hand motor dealer ships out and sets up a love nest with cilla(ken dodd as butler) you could ground share at the rec with e newly promoted aldershot?

Or perhaps you would consider amalgamating with Farnborough to turn your attendances over the 2500 mark :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2010 22:44

Magnus ^ 'greed. I think whoever pointed out it's now 27 quid for a matchday ticket was closer to the money.

Jeez! My son and I can go to 3 Windsor & Eton matches for that. No traffic problems, free parking, cheap beer... proper football played by real men in a decent spirit, for the love of the game, where a high wage would be £100 a week. And you can often chat to the managers and players of both teams in the bar after the game.

The football might not be as good but it sure has its attractions.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2010 22:47

Royal Rother
Magnus ^ 'greed. I think whoever pointed out it's now 27 quid for a matchday ticket was closer to the money.

Jeez! My son and I can go to 3 Windsor & Eton matches for that. No traffic problems, free parking, cheap beer... proper football played by real men in a decent spirit, for the love of the game, where a high wage would be £100 a week. And you can often chat to the managers and players of both teams in the bar after the game.

Why would you want to talk to the managers and players of a team you have no affiliation towards? I wouldn't go and watch Woodley Hammers on a Sunday morning, linger around like some kind of oddball at the full time whistle and then ask for a quiet word in the ear of their manager :|

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2010 22:54

I know a couple of players from other teams and have chatted with them in the bar afterwards. Then you find other people join into a conversation....

Weird I know but it's kind of how social interaction amongst grown-ups works in the real world.

havoc

by havoc » 23 Aug 2010 10:10

pea Didn't forest fill their stand last year?

cant be arse to resize

09/10

10/11

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Aug 2010 11:24

frimmers3 perhaps when you are relegated at the end of this season and the second hand motor dealer ships out and sets up a love nest with cilla(ken dodd as butler) you could ground share at the rec with e newly promoted aldershot?

why dont you oxf*rd off, shut up, find a shots board to frequent, or at the very least sort out that abortion of a music quiz

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2010 12:21

Royal Rother

Non league is the way forward, absolutely.

Turn up on the day, pay less than a tenner to get in, have a pint of real ale in the club house at half time.

TBF if you're that worried about watching high quality football you wouldn't be at the Mad Stad anyway.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 23 Aug 2010 12:36

8)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Aug 2010 12:47

Forest brought 3,551 last season to the Madejski according to their figures. They looked to be around a 1,000 lower than that this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2010 13:06

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2010 14:33

Where have all the fans gone?

The same place where all the posters who thought expanding the stadium was a great idea and that the suggestion that demand for tickets might fall was a ridiculous suggestion.

LOL @ them
For ever and ever
Amen

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Aug 2010 14:45

Wycombe Royal Forest brought 3,551 last season to the Madejski according to their figures. They looked to be around a 1,000 lower than that this season.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Had a mate who booked tickets on Friday night and was quite limited on choice for two together. So I reckon a combination of Forest fans not being so up for it this year and some of our own STs maybe picking a choosing a bit more must be the reasons - or maybe more of them are on holiday?