Viagogo Ripoff

290 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Viagogo Ripoff

by Royal Lady » 17 Nov 2012 09:29

LOL @ Graham's headline on the News part of the site - "Reading FC team up with Ticket Tout company" :D

I would suggest there are enough people on here and amongst your friends/family - that if someone wanted to sell a ticket, you could do so privately without the need to involve Viagogo. PM and Classifieds is the way it's been done on previously.

But cheers RFC anyway - nothing like to trying to rip your fan base off even more than you need to. :roll:

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 17 Nov 2012 09:39

I'm not so much against the fans being able to sell the tickets at face value plus pay the admin fee to do it, although as pointed out it should be done in house.

What really stinks about this site is the 25 tickets that are given to Viagogo. If I wanted to sell my ticket via this site, I wonder whose tickets get sold first? So in essence unless they shift their 25 tickets every game then what chance has the fan got of selling theirs?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Nov 2012 09:57

creative_username_1
RoyalBlue
creative_username_1 about £40, i'm more than happy to pay that

They may have some questionable practices but to develop/maintain and market a site like that would cost a lot of money

'About £40'? could mean a bit more than £40 I guess. Not sure what face value the ticket would have been.

Nowadays I suspect the website infrastructure doesn't cost as much as you think. I also suspect you would be shocked at the amount of profit they make, particularly when all they are doing is acting as a middle man and making money on top of the ticket price from people's keanness to attend events.

IMO they are no better than expensive, legalised touts and I question their contribution to society! Would the world be worse off if they didn't exist (or ideally were shut down) ? I think not!

It was slightly less than 40 (around £37 with a booking fee)

I write algorithms for a day job and know pretty much how much it costs to run a large multinational website

Its a free market you don't have to go to these events. I wouldn't be that bothered to never go to a gig or football match again

OK, I bow to you experience on the costs side but it doesn't take anything away from the excessive profits that they still make by acting as ticket touts and worse. It seems that as long as you pay your tax (although even that is questionable nowadays with the likes of Starbucks) the government doesn't give a toss as to how you act and/or how much you rip people off. Ticket touting football tickets is against the law but pay your tax and the authorities will pretend otherwise.

As for not having to go to events, some people care far more and the people they support (sports players and bands) want those loyal fans to be able to attend events, without being ripped off by the dubious activities of parasites such as viagogo.

I know that STAR no longer feel the Hob Nob community worthy of communication but has anyone heard what stance they are taking on this issue?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Nov 2012 11:54

This is precisely the sort of thing that STAR should be getting involved with and garnering opinion from people on this forum should form part of their remit imo.

In the absence of STAR, the club are not going to listen to any of us. I'm happy to pass on feedback, as I have previously, directly to the club, but I'm pretty sure I'll get some stock answer back and they won't be budged on this, because they stand to make more money out of using Viagogo. I do think the Fans' voices should be heard though and I am fully aware that some people aren't bothered either way - but if you feel strongly enough about this, please PM me - giving your name - and I'll happily let the club know on your behalf. We could all contact them separately - that might have more effect. Or it might just piss them off to the extent that they won't take any notice whatsoever. But I'm happy to go with the flow and what people would prefer. I do, however, feel that our voices should be heard and would be interested in an explanation as to why they've gone with Viagogo if it isn't to make a quick buck off the back of supporters.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 17 Nov 2012 12:32

RoyalBlue
OK, I bow to you experience on the costs side but it doesn't take anything away from the excessive profits that they still make by acting as ticket touts and worse. It seems that as long as you pay your tax (although even that is questionable nowadays with the likes of Starbucks) the government doesn't give a toss as to how you act and/or how much you rip people off. Ticket touting football tickets is against the law but pay your tax and the authorities will pretend otherwise.

As for not having to go to events, some people care far more and the people they support (sports players and bands) want those loyal fans to be able to attend events, without being ripped off by the dubious activities of parasites such as viagogo.

I know that STAR no longer feel the Hob Nob community worthy of communication but has anyone heard what stance they are taking on this issue?

I think the site is a great idea but i'm guessing they take the piss a bit. Haven't seen anything about this tbh so can't really comment

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 17 Nov 2012 18:21

Big Foot I don't see the problem here.

The club try to reduce costs/make costs more predictable by outsourcing to a private organisation and the net result is that there are less empty seats at the Madejski for home games.

Seriously, some people have too much time to waste getting so wound up by such frivolous matters.

If you care that much, buy a bloody Season Ticket and then you'll not be impacted. Real fans, real quiz.

+1

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Nov 2012 18:32

Big Foot I don't see the problem here.

The club try to reduce costs/make costs more predictable by outsourcing to a private organisation and the net result is that there are less empty seats at the Madejski for home games.

Outsourcing for the reasons you state is one thing. However, that can be achieved without going to the 'economical with the truth' (some might say liars), ripoff merchants and ticket touts called viagogo.

Viagogo were clearly exposed by Dispatches as unfairly exploiting sports and other fans. Therefore it is disgraceful that Reading FC, always quick to take the moral high ground, have so eagerly rushed to get into bed with them.

And how does the club giving viagogo some normal tickets (not tickets from fans wishing to resell) fit into the model you promote? Why couldn't they be sold through the ticket office/website as normal? Because the club are whoring themselves to viagogo.

Twix

by Twix » 17 Nov 2012 18:54

I think this is a fantastic idea. Despite going to several games the last time Reading were in the premiership as well as the recent match against The Arsenal I couldn’t get a ticket for the United game as I didn’t have enough of those royals points.
I was quite annoyed as when I was watching The Arsenal some of the people around me weren’t wearing Reading shirts, didn’t buy and food or beverages, moaned at me for leaving early (even the Arsenal players didn’t realise there was extra time) and didn’t even use their clappers but still would have got tickets to see United just because they saw us against somebody like Macclesfield.

I thought I’d have to watch the footy on Sky but now I may be able to get a ticket, as it’s limited to double face value it shouldn’t cost more than £100 after a reasonable booking fee which I think is a fair price to see one of the best teams in the world especially when you compare it to my average visit to the theatre and the prices some of my friends pay to visit Highbury, I’d rather pay that to see Rooney and RVP than Theo Walcott or James Corden!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Nov 2012 19:41

Twix I think this is a fantastic idea. Despite going to several games the last time Reading were in the premiership as well as the recent match against The Arsenal I couldn’t get a ticket for the United game as I didn’t have enough of those royals points.
I was quite annoyed as when I was watching The Arsenal some of the people around me weren’t wearing Reading shirts, didn’t buy and food or beverages, moaned at me for leaving early (even the Arsenal players didn’t realise there was extra time) and didn’t even use their clappers but still would have got tickets to see United just because they saw us against somebody like Macclesfield.

I thought I’d have to watch the footy on Sky but now I may be able to get a ticket, as it’s limited to double face value it shouldn’t cost more than £100 after a reasonable booking fee which I think is a fair price to see one of the best teams in the world especially when you compare it to my average visit to the theatre and the prices some of my friends pay to visit Highbury, I’d rather pay that to see Rooney and RVP than Theo Walcott or James Corden!

Not actually sure if this post is satirical or not ... if not it's a perfect example of the ideal "Premier League supporter".

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 18 Nov 2012 08:23

why not have a ticket exchange forum in HNA?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 18 Nov 2012 09:44

weybridgewanderer why not have a ticket exchange forum in HNA?

There is a forum, but its risky, cos if you meat people of HNA? there's a genuine chance of being abused.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 18 Nov 2012 10:37

Surely you don't mean use the "classifieds" section as a ticket exchange?

Surely people wouldn't be moaning on here about a lack of a feature that exists on this very board?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Nov 2012 08:56

Alexander Litvinenko
Twix I think this is a fantastic idea. Despite going to several games the last time Reading were in the premiership as well as the recent match against The Arsenal I couldn’t get a ticket for the United game as I didn’t have enough of those royals points.

Not actually sure if this post is satirical or not ... if not it's a perfect example of the ideal "Premier League supporter".

LOL. Bloody hell Dirk.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 19 Nov 2012 08:57

I noted during the Fulham game yesterday they also had advertising boards up for Viagogo - so perhaps this is a PL wide deal rather than something that the club have signed up for?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Nov 2012 09:44

Did someone from viagogo rape RoyalBlue? I don't see how you can get this upset about a ticket reselling website otherwise

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Nov 2012 10:55

Royal Lady This is precisely the sort of thing that STAR should be getting involved with and garnering opinion from people on this forum should form part of their remit imo.

In the absence of STAR, the club are not going to listen to any of us. I'm happy to pass on feedback, as I have previously, directly to the club, but I'm pretty sure I'll get some stock answer back and they won't be budged on this, because they stand to make more money out of using Viagogo. I do think the Fans' voices should be heard though and I am fully aware that some people aren't bothered either way - but if you feel strongly enough about this, please PM me - giving your name - and I'll happily let the club know on your behalf. We could all contact them separately - that might have more effect. Or it might just piss them off to the extent that they won't take any notice whatsoever. But I'm happy to go with the flow and what people would prefer. I do, however, feel that our voices should be heard and would be interested in an explanation as to why they've gone with Viagogo if it isn't to make a quick buck off the back of supporters.

here we go again.
are you going to bark all day little doggy, or are you going to bite?

always pissing and moaning on here, constantly bombarding the club with your long list of things you h8 about RFC, and trying constantly to whip up anti RFC sentiment at every opportunity.
but what have you actually done about it?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Nov 2012 10:57

weybridgewanderer Surely you don't mean use the "classifieds" section as a ticket exchange?

Surely people wouldn't be moaning on here about a lack of a feature that exists on this very board?

people do this already- but dont go on about it, cos if it gets much profile the club will shut it down

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 19 Nov 2012 11:01

And that's part of the point.

If the club (or the police) knew that ordinary supporters come to their own arrangements about "passing on" unused season tickets those supporters are liable to prosecution, even if they're making no money whatsoever from the transaction.

But bring in a third-party company to take a fat commission, and suddenly all the same rules don't apply - tickets can now be sold on for a profit. Rank hypocrisy!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Nov 2012 11:02

lol!

just dont use it

Twix

by Twix » 19 Nov 2012 11:14

It may not effect all of us now but there's a chance it will in the future especially if them having first dibs on 25 tickets is true, I can see a time where many of us are priced out of STs and that's 25 fewer tickets that should have been sold on royalty points.
Last edited by Twix on 19 Nov 2012 11:27, edited 4 times in total.

290 posts