Viagogo Ripoff

290 posts
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Viagogo Ripoff

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Nov 2012 10:56

The club has just announced a link-up with viagogo to resell unwanted season-ticket seats.

Once Season Ticket Holders list their seats for sale on the viagogo website, they will receive anything from matchday face value to double the value of their matchday ticket, less a transaction fee.

There is no limit to the amount of games they can choose to sell – however there is no guarantee that their seat will be bought for any game.

Quite apart from the fact that viagogo are greatly disliked by many for their lack of business ethics, as exposed by Channel 4's dispatches "The Great Ticket Scandal" (Feb. 2012) I'm astounded that people can sell their seats for "up to twice the value of their matchday ticket" - although, of course, the supporter won't get anywhere near that sum once viagogo have taken their commission.

But under the The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (section 166), The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 and The Ticket Touting (Designation of Football Matches) Order 2007, the unauthorised sale of a football ticket is a criminal offence, and if an ordinary supporter tried to sell a ticket for any price, let along "for up to twice the value of their matchday ticket" they'd be banged up - and many have.

No doubt the club will use the get-out that "it's not unauthorised as it's all being down through the club" and legally they're right. Morally, though, it sticks, even if it wasn't being done through a company quite as dislikeable and disreputable as viagogo.

Because why should a third-party company be able to make a profit out of enabling supporters to do something that legally they can't do themselves - and why can't the club themselves facilitate this in-house, thus avoiding an external company leeching off supporters?

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Viagogo Ripoff

by mr_number » 15 Nov 2012 11:00

Very disappointed that the club would authorise people to make a profit on their ticket. By all means create a seat exchange, so season ticket holders can get maximum value, but selling for a profit leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

As you mention, it also feels intuitively unsavoury to be involved with such an unpleasant company as Viagogo.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 15 Nov 2012 11:00

Have STAR made any comment on this?

If not then they should be shot, seriously

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 15 Nov 2012 11:06

Alexander Litvinenko
Because why should a third-party company be able to make a profit out of enabling supporters to do something that legally they can't do themselves - and why can't the club themselves facilitate this in-house, thus avoiding an external company leeching off supporters?

Arsenal do this in-house and you're right, no reason why Reading can't do the same.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Nov 2012 11:09

Stuka
Alexander Litvinenko

Arsenal do this in-house and you're right, no reason why Reading can't do the same.

My feelings as well.

No problem with fans being able to sell their ticket back to the club for face value (or even a slight concession so the club can handle processing 'costs') but to leave the door wide open to touting and fans buying STs just to sell on stinks.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 Nov 2012 11:44

Wonder if the club will bother carrying on with their waiting lists or just tell people to keep checking Vianono.

Whole thing stinks!

If anyone hasn't seen the Dispatches programme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlnL8drSdw

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 15 Nov 2012 12:09

STAR? You reading this?

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 15 Nov 2012 12:10

Alexander Litvinenko The club has just announced a link-up with viagogo to resell unwanted season-ticket seats.

Once Season Ticket Holders list their seats for sale on the viagogo website, they will receive anything from matchday face value to double the value of their matchday ticket, less a transaction fee.

There is no limit to the amount of games they can choose to sell – however there is no guarantee that their seat will be bought for any game.

Quite apart from the fact that viagogo are greatly disliked by many for their lack of business ethics, as exposed by Channel 4's dispatches "The Great Ticket Scandal" (Feb. 2012) I'm astounded that people can sell their seats for "up to twice the value of their matchday ticket" - although, of course, the supporter won't get anywhere near that sum once viagogo have taken their commission.

But under the The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (section 166), The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 and The Ticket Touting (Designation of Football Matches) Order 2007, the unauthorised sale of a football ticket is a criminal offence, and if an ordinary supporter tried to sell a ticket for any price, let along "for up to twice the value of their matchday ticket" they'd be banged up - and many have.

No doubt the club will use the get-out that "it's not unauthorised as it's all being down through the club" and legally they're right. Morally, though, it sticks, even if it wasn't being done through a company quite as dislikeable and disreputable as viagogo.

You're going viral, Alexander.

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 15 Nov 2012 13:11

definitely emailing the club about this what a pathetic idea.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 15 Nov 2012 13:50

I don't see the problem here.

The club try to reduce costs/make costs more predictable by outsourcing to a private organisation and the net result is that there are less empty seats at the Madejski for home games.

Seriously, some people have too much time to waste getting so wound up by such frivolous matters.

If you care that much, buy a bloody Season Ticket and then you'll not be impacted. Real fans, real quiz.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Nov 2012 13:56

But that private organisation is only doing it because they can make a profit out of it - a profit that comes out of the pockets of the supporters using it.

Why not do it in-house and provide it as a service, with a small commission charge to cover the transaction cost - rather than outsource it to this particularly disreputable bunch of shysters who will charge much, much more than a small commission charge?

Plus, of course, if I was to try and sell you my ticket on-line I'd be committing a criminal offence. Bring in a third-party who will make money out of it and suddenly it's all hunky dory.

But essentially there's nothing wrong with the idea and the aims behind this - it's the application of it that's been done in the wrong way.

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 15 Nov 2012 13:59

Why would the club want to buy back a ticket that they potentially won't be able to sell and thus lose revenue?
Transferring the onus to Viagogo means they don't lose anything and the selling fan can make some money back - Both parties win, plus this wasn't an option before, so I really can't see the problem...

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Nov 2012 14:03

stickywhisky Why would the club want to buy back a ticket that they potentially won't be able to sell and thus lose revenue?
Transferring the onus to Viagogo means they don't lose anything and the selling fan can make some money back - Both parties win, plus this wasn't an option before, so I really can't see the problem...

they wouldn't buy it back, just like viagogo won't be buying it back.

A supporter registers it as available, then the club or viagogo show it as available. If someone wants it, they pay the club/viagogo, and then the member card is cancelled for that game and the buyer gets sent a paper ticket.

But those last two transactions (cancelling the member card and sending out a paper ticket to the buyer) have to be done by the club in-house, so what are viagogo doing that couldn't be done in house with a modicum of planning?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 15 Nov 2012 14:06

stickywhisky Why would the club want to buy back a ticket that they potentially won't be able to sell and thus lose revenue?

Agreed

IMO the only way around this is if "silos" of supporters collaborate by creating private communities of ticket exchanges built on trust. Now if only I could find one of those :mrgreen:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Nov 2012 14:09

I'd hate to run a football club, you get slated for years by people unable to get their money back when they can't attend a game they've paid for as part of a season ticket and then when you introduce a scheme that allows this you get slated some more

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Nov 2012 14:10

Again, there's nothing wrong with the idea and the aims behind this - it's the application of it that's been done in the wrong way.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Nov 2012 14:11

Silver Fox I'd hate to run a football club, you get slated for years by people unable to get their money back when they can't attend a game they've paid for as part of a season ticket and then when you introduce a scheme that allows this you get slated some more

As Dirk has said, it's not the scheme that's being slammed it's the application of it.

This opens the door to more away fans in the home end and more chances that some people will buy season tickets just to flog on.

There's no reason (other than making a quick buck) for the club to have to go through a third party site but then again this could all be moot in 6 months time and we get relegated.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 15 Nov 2012 16:15

So how much do Viagogo charge?

Say I sell my seat for £40, how much would I get?

philM

by philM » 15 Nov 2012 16:31

riverroyal So how much do Viagogo charge?

Say I sell my seat for £40, how much would I get?

Viagogo take 10% usually. You decide the selling price.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Nov 2012 16:35

Who decides what face value is as there's quite a difference between what I paid for my ticket and how much it would cost joe punter to roll up on the day and buy a North Stand seat

290 posts