Our Colours, Our History - Can we make the club listen?

One8Seven1

Our Colours, Our History - Can we make the club listen?

by One8Seven1 » 15 Aug 2013 17:28

I thought this was a fantastic article from one of our posters - http://www.royals.org/news/157/True_Col ... -8.twitter

It's a shame the club don't cherish our history and tradition as many of the fans do!

Strutting around in their pin-striped suits, Reading were only a pair of braces away from being the Gordon Gekko of the Championship at Bolton last weekend. Perhaps we might finally ditch our anachronistic club nickname and finally rebrand ourselves wholly more suitably as ‘The Commuters’. As satisfying as a point at the home of erstwhile bogey team Bolton was, the sartorial elegance on display was as much a boost to the ego as anything of qualitative taken from this early season game. On this embryonic evidence, perhaps we should be expecting more than a draw against promotion rivals. Greed is Good. The down-trodden frumps of last season have had a makeover and the sleek LBD on display was as eye-catching as the dominant second half performance at Horwich. Bolton have their Reebok but Reading are Savile Row. Suit you, Sir!

If the black away strip makes us look like Robert Palmer then this season’s home effort is more suited to Carlton Palmer. A bizarre effort looking like something that a blindfolded Salvador Dali may have come up with, this season’s variation on the classic hooped design is chaotic. Wide white panels on the flanks made poor Royston Drenthe modeling the strip look the size of a house. The reverse of the shirt – due to some spurious league rule about two-tone strips - is all white, allegedly for the benefit of clueless media types whose eyesight is somehow worse than the ignorant, barely concealed agenda they harbor for the most part. I am sure the longer-suffering amongst us will recall 'I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS, BRIAN MOORE?'; the best banner on display during the 1995 play-off final at Wembley, which lampooned the iconic commentator’s season-long bitching about the red-numbered-hooped-shirt combination of that treasured season. That Pelada effort – acrylic tat which clung tightly all over you like a cheap shirt – summed nicely summed up RFC of that era; towards the end of a brilliant season the letters of the sponsors name had been washed clean off the kit meaning that the proud Reading players ran out looking like a pub team displaying the legend ‘A T RADE’.

Traditional colours are a source of great pride to supporters of any team, especially clubs such as Reading who largely have an inglorious history bereft of trophies and therefore hang onto such trifling matters of livery in order to claim some unique identity for themselves. Think of the furore in South Wales last year when Cardiff City replaced their traditional blue with a saucy red number for fatuous and fanciful reasons of rebranding. The fact that our glorious colours were ripped off by those cockney Rag’n’Bone spivs of QPR in the 1960s grates with RFC followers – particularly given the latter day Championship celebrity status they have gained through having a high profile manager - for we know that we can lay claim to having originated a blue and white hooped design more than 90 years earlier and more than a decade before the ‘Fakes’ themselves even existed. Sickeningly, in recent years we have to admit that Steptoe and Son down the road in West London have tended to make a better fist of the design classic than our ‘friends’ at Puma have thrown up for our boys. Blue shorts again this year? No, no, no!

Team group photos of those 1871 pioneers show our forefathers bedecked in matching caps, blue and white hooped shirts and white knickerbockers. I am not going to get all Anders Breivik about this, but if it was good enough for Mr Sydenham and Co 140 years ago it should be good enough for us now. Criminally, there was a time in the 1950s and 1960s where RFC switched to a puritanical all white effort and later a sky blue home shirt. These proved unpopular with supporters and the club returned to hoops in the late 60s only to ditch them again in 1983 under the brave new world of Roger Smee. One suspects that supporters back then were just happy enough to have a club to support after Maxwell's mooted merger and were not minded to kick up much fuss about club colours as long as they were Reading’s colours. That striped Argentinaesque Radio 210 outfit was introduced with laughably crass RFC-timing barely a year after the Falklands War but it remains an unlikely favourite with supporters even now, conjuring up images of a gap-toothed Trevor Senior wheeling away from a muddy penalty area trade-marking the single raised-palm celebration long before anyone had even heard of Alan Shearer. The club have recently stocked a retro, replica version of this shirt which seems rather popular judging by the amount you see worn to matches.

The 1980s – with Thatcherism in full swing – was the decade where nobody cared or gave a damn as to what anyone else thought about anything least of all customer service. RFC stoically stuck to their guns in moving away from the hooped outfits of the dim, distant and largely unsuccessful past as the club enjoyed a renaissance under the Smee regime moving up from 4th to 2nd division in the space of 3 seasons. That they did so wearing a blue and white version of Arsenal’s famous colours is a real pity, although the RFC Subbuteo version of the time had at least some uniqueness about it, unlike the ‘QPR/Greenock Morton/Reading’ edition before. For my own part, those late 80s shirts brilliantly emblazoned with the word ‘Courage’ were the ones I grew up with, in fact the green Steve Francis goalkeeper top purchased from Nigel Cross Sports was the first I ever owned. Sadly I played more like Stu Francis, but I loved that birthday present so much I practically slept in it.

The TV-interference monstrosity of 1991/92 was the final straw and in those heady days of the fanzine era, Taking The Biscuit were particularly vocal about a return to traditional hoops. Was HAT Painting possibly the most curious shirt sponsorship tie-in in history? Who on earth wants or needs a HAT to be painted? Finally in 1992 - post-Moynihan and Bassett - the football club seemed to give a damn about the feelings of the supporters once more and our rightful colours were reinstated. In fact, we had more hoops than a performing dolphin display team in those days, the away shirt being a rather samey looking yellow and blue variation. This had a knock-on effect of a full on kit clash at various grim northern outposts and memorably Reading had to wear the opposition change colours on more than one occasion. They lined up at Springfield Park, Wigan, for instance bedecked in the home side’s red away kit adorned with ‘Heinz’. 57 varieties? We didn’t have 1!

And for 20 years since – ignoring moans and groans about hoops not reaching right around various versions – it has come to pass that the traditions pioneered by our bearded Victorian founders have again been adopted into the unwritten club constitution (‘thou shalt not win promotion via play-off’). This is of course very welcome as we generally have precious little to celebrate other than our identity itself. One must wonder however whether Mr Zingarevich might decide to bury a kalashnikov into history and go along the Cardiff Dragons/Hull City Tigers route one day. Will someone rid me of these meddlesome traditionalists! Red Army!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Our Colours, Our History - Can we make the club listen?

by Fox Talbot » 15 Aug 2013 18:44

Yes.

The club returned to hoops in 1992 as a result of supporter pressure and the dreadfulness of the immediately preceding kits. You forget the red and yellow hooped away change strip which I wish we'd go back to one day.

Broadly speaking I think every new chairman institutes a kit change. Back to hoops was SJM's. Away from hoops was Smee's. Hoops was Lee's (1938?) and away from hoops (1953? was whoever came after Lee). Sky blue might have coincided with the end of Smith and the start of Waller.

Given we've stuck with hoops for the last 20 yrs I'd say the club do listen. They are just crap at design. Have you seen Saints kits lately - I wouldn't be happy if I was a fan of them.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 16 Aug 2013 10:38

I didn't read it all. It was too long and Maskell wasn't even at the fooking game

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 12:28

Excellent article.

In answer to it's question, perhaps we can get our opinion heard...

- Simply decide to not buy shít kits

- Whinge and moan in the annual survey about real hoops + white shorts

Not sure they will do owt about it though as they never do.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Aug 2013 14:00

One8Seven1
It's a shame the club don't cherish our history and tradition as many of the fans do!

:|

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 16 Aug 2013 14:24

The essence of modern football is that owners and those who run clubs for them very rarely cherish anything that they can't "monetise".

That's the word of the decade in football.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 16 Aug 2013 17:51

LoyalRoyalFan
One8Seven1

In the sense that the club muck about with the hoops far too often; they hardly ever go all the way around any more, back and side panels etc - but QPR wouldn't dream of messing around with the club colours or the design of the hoops.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 16 Aug 2013 20:18

if you compare the QPR and Reading shirts of 1970 with today's you'll see they kinda swapped designs hoopswise. IE they look like we used to.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 20:18

One8Seven1
LoyalRoyalFan
One8Seven1

In the sense that the club muck about with the hoops far too often; they hardly ever go all the way around any more, back and side panels etc - but QPR wouldn't dream of messing around with the club colours or the design of the hoops.

If they can have the full hoops with red numbers why can't we? It's a load of BS IMO.

Even if we can't have full hoops, can they at least be tasteful - like this one below (it's Puma too :shock:) with white shorts would be lovely...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Aug 2013 22:09

One8Seven1
LoyalRoyalFan
One8Seven1

I see, so a bit of a petty hate?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 21 Aug 2013 18:15

So, did they listen?

scaiano

by scaiano » 06 Nov 2013 01:50

It was for me to recommend this one page http://dover.yalwa.com/ID_132318146/FootballTShirtUK.html . I can question related problems, it was not used?I feel pretty good.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 07 Nov 2013 10:37

There is a grown man who sits two rows down from me who wears the full kit (including shorts) to Summer games.

Anybody over the age of 12 who does this should probably be put on at least the long list for Operation Yewtree.

The article is what comes of somebody with only GCSE level english reading too many Guardian articles. Football in 'changing a bit since Leeds last won the title' shocker.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Nov 2013 10:43

Once were Biscuitmen There is a grown man who sits two rows down from me who wears the full kit (including shorts) to Summer games.

Anybody over the age of 12 who does this should probably be put on at least the long list for Operation Yewtree.

The article is what comes of somebody with only GCSE level english reading too many Guardian articles. Football in 'changing a bit since Leeds last won the title' shocker.

Good post

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 08 Nov 2013 08:06

One8Seven1 I thought this was a fantastic article from one of our posters - http://www.royals.org/news/157/True_Col ... -8.twitter

Strutting around in their pin-striped suits, Reading were only a pair of braces away from being the Gordon Gekko of the Championship at Bolton last weekend. Perhaps we might finally ditch our anachronistic club nickname and finally rebrand ourselves wholly more suitably as ‘The Commuters’. As satisfying as a point at the home of erstwhile bogey team Bolton was, the sartorial elegance on display was as much a boost to the ego as anything of qualitative taken from this early season game. On this embryonic evidence, perhaps we should be expecting more than a draw against promotion rivals. Greed is Good. The down-trodden frumps of last season have had a makeover and the sleek LBD on display was as eye-catching as the dominant second half performance at Horwich. Bolton have their Reebok but Reading are Savile Row. Suit you, Sir!

If the black away strip makes us look like Robert Palmer then this season’s home effort is more suited to Carlton Palmer. A bizarre effort looking like something that a blindfolded Salvador Dali may have come up with, this season’s variation on the classic hooped design is chaotic. Wide white panels on the flanks made poor Royston Drenthe modeling the strip look the size of a house. The reverse of the shirt – due to some spurious league rule about two-tone strips - is all white, allegedly for the benefit of clueless media types whose eyesight is somehow worse than the ignorant, barely concealed agenda they harbor for the most part. I am sure the longer-suffering amongst us will recall 'I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS, BRIAN MOORE?'; the best banner on display during the 1995 play-off final at Wembley, which lampooned the iconic commentator’s season-long bitching about the red-numbered-hooped-shirt combination of that treasured season. That Pelada effort – acrylic tat which clung tightly all over you like a cheap shirt – summed nicely summed up RFC of that era; towards the end of a brilliant season the letters of the sponsors name had been washed clean off the kit meaning that the proud Reading players ran out looking like a pub team displaying the legend ‘A T RADE’.

Traditional colours are a source of great pride to supporters of any team, especially clubs such as Reading who largely have an inglorious history bereft of trophies and therefore hang onto such trifling matters of livery in order to claim some unique identity for themselves. Think of the furore in South Wales last year when Cardiff City replaced their traditional blue with a saucy red number for fatuous and fanciful reasons of rebranding. The fact that our glorious colours were ripped off by those cockney Rag’n’Bone spivs of QPR in the 1960s grates with RFC followers – particularly given the latter day Championship celebrity status they have gained through having a high profile manager - for we know that we can lay claim to having originated a blue and white hooped design more than 90 years earlier and more than a decade before the ‘Fakes’ themselves even existed. Sickeningly, in recent years we have to admit that Steptoe and Son down the road in West London have tended to make a better fist of the design classic than our ‘friends’ at Puma have thrown up for our boys. Blue shorts again this year? No, no, no!

Team group photos of those 1871 pioneers show our forefathers bedecked in matching caps, blue and white hooped shirts and white knickerbockers. I am not going to get all Anders Breivik about this, but if it was good enough for Mr Sydenham and Co 140 years ago it should be good enough for us now. Criminally, there was a time in the 1950s and 1960s where RFC switched to a puritanical all white effort and later a sky blue home shirt. These proved unpopular with supporters and the club returned to hoops in the late 60s only to ditch them again in 1983 under the brave new world of Roger Smee. One suspects that supporters back then were just happy enough to have a club to support after Maxwell's mooted merger and were not minded to kick up much fuss about club colours as long as they were Reading’s colours. That striped Argentinaesque Radio 210 outfit was introduced with laughably crass RFC-timing barely a year after the Falklands War but it remains an unlikely favourite with supporters even now, conjuring up images of a gap-toothed Trevor Senior wheeling away from a muddy penalty area trade-marking the single raised-palm celebration long before anyone had even heard of Alan Shearer. The club have recently stocked a retro, replica version of this shirt which seems rather popular judging by the amount you see worn to matches.

The 1980s – with Thatcherism in full swing – was the decade where nobody cared or gave a damn as to what anyone else thought about anything least of all customer service. RFC stoically stuck to their guns in moving away from the hooped outfits of the dim, distant and largely unsuccessful past as the club enjoyed a renaissance under the Smee regime moving up from 4th to 2nd division in the space of 3 seasons. That they did so wearing a blue and white version of Arsenal’s famous colours is a real pity, although the RFC Subbuteo version of the time had at least some uniqueness about it, unlike the ‘QPR/Greenock Morton/Reading’ edition before. For my own part, those late 80s shirts brilliantly emblazoned with the word ‘Courage’ were the ones I grew up with, in fact the green Steve Francis goalkeeper top purchased from Nigel Cross Sports was the first I ever owned. Sadly I played more like Stu Francis, but I loved that birthday present so much I practically slept in it.

The TV-interference monstrosity of 1991/92 was the final straw and in those heady days of the fanzine era, Taking The Biscuit were particularly vocal about a return to traditional hoops. Was HAT Painting possibly the most curious shirt sponsorship tie-in in history? Who on earth wants or needs a HAT to be painted? Finally in 1992 - post-Moynihan and Bassett - the football club seemed to give a damn about the feelings of the supporters once more and our rightful colours were reinstated. In fact, we had more hoops than a performing dolphin display team in those days, the away shirt being a rather samey looking yellow and blue variation. This had a knock-on effect of a full on kit clash at various grim northern outposts and memorably Reading had to wear the opposition change colours on more than one occasion. They lined up at Springfield Park, Wigan, for instance bedecked in the home side’s red away kit adorned with ‘Heinz’. 57 varieties? We didn’t have 1!

And for 20 years since – ignoring moans and groans about hoops not reaching right around various versions – it has come to pass that the traditions pioneered by our bearded Victorian founders have again been adopted into the unwritten club constitution (‘thou shalt not win promotion via play-off’). This is of course very welcome as we generally have precious little to celebrate other than our identity itself. One must wonder however whether Mr Zingarevich might decide to bury a kalashnikov into history and go along the Cardiff Dragons/Hull City Tigers route one day. Will someone rid me of these meddlesome traditionalists! Red Army!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2013 17:06

Another pointless thread about kits. The Club knows there are enough mugs out there waiting to spunk £40+ on the latest offering. As far as I can remember, I have never seen anyone anywhere near the megastore ordering unsuspecting punters inside with a gun. You have a choice.

And FTR, in 1871 it was blue and white stripes It was some time in the 1930s that Reading changed to hoops.

Brian's left bollock

by Brian's left bollock » 08 Nov 2013 19:55

Terminal Boardom Another pointless thread about kits. The Club knows there are enough mugs out there waiting to spunk £40+ on the latest offering. As far as I can remember, I have never seen anyone anywhere near the megastore ordering unsuspecting punters inside with a gun. You have a choice.

And FTR, in 1871 it was blue and white stripes It was some time in the 1930s that Reading changed to hoops.

Wrong. In 1871 we were hoops then we changed to stripes a couple of years a later.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 09 Nov 2013 14:44

Forget the club shop, just buy a decent fitting t-shirt with proper hoops.

Cheaper, more comfortable, less ghey.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 11 Nov 2013 20:36

Kit design is not the clubs choice, it's a template given by the kit manufacturer and then colours added into the right places.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Nov 2013 20:53

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT Kit design is not the clubs choice, it's a template given by the kit manufacturer and then colours added into the right places.

Rubbish, the club will have the final say on which design they opt for even if that's a limited choice given to them by the manufacturers templates.

If the club don't like the options then they shouldn't sign with the manufacturer.