311 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Training Ground

by Whore Jackie » 04 May 2019 06:54

Sutekh
Nameless
Maneki Neko pitches being laid and floodlights going up

Drove past it this morning, much more extensive than I realised ! Seems to cover double what I remember as the old Bearwood course.
Couldn’t see if the floodlights were going up on an artificial pitch or a grass one, seemed very close to the road though.
They’ve built big earth banks along the perimeter so no chance of Bielsa sneaking a peek.
Didn’t see any buildings although could have missed them. Would have expected some quite significant constructions.

Aren’t some of the buildings at Forest School going to be used? Seem to vaguely recall news from a couple of years ago that the club was/is going to build a replacement dome at Forest School to house further artificial pitches. Or perhaps that was only going to happen when the current dome at the Maddy finally gets bulldozed for REP (though that project in itself seems to have sunk without trace).

They're building a new dome at Forest for the Academy and school, but nothing's been started on that yet. Don't believe any other school buildings will be used. Academy scholars are only at Forest in the morning.

Looks like there's a mix of new buildings and refurbishment of old at Bearwood. There's a nice lodge at the entrance that they've renovated and extended, and then beyond that to the left is a big block of new buildings. The pitch to the right of the entrance, that looks slightly lower than ground level, is the same size as the Mad Stad one and has under soil heating, to facilitate year-round training. That's the main first XI grass pitch, but looks like most pitches will have floodlights.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 May 2019 09:49

King Coppell Weren’t the academy supposed to be by last xmas? This really is dragging along, especially as we were told the Chinese made some changes of their own to put their stamp on it, yet we haven’t been told or shown what those changes are, or received any visual updates on the building work.

Not sure how they can even think about doing the work without checking with us first !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 May 2019 09:54

Whore Jackie
Sutekh
Nameless Drove past it this morning, much more extensive than I realised ! Seems to cover double what I remember as the old Bearwood course.
Couldn’t see if the floodlights were going up on an artificial pitch or a grass one, seemed very close to the road though.
They’ve built big earth banks along the perimeter so no chance of Bielsa sneaking a peek.
Didn’t see any buildings although could have missed them. Would have expected some quite significant constructions.

Aren’t some of the buildings at Forest School going to be used? Seem to vaguely recall news from a couple of years ago that the club was/is going to build a replacement dome at Forest School to house further artificial pitches. Or perhaps that was only going to happen when the current dome at the Maddy finally gets bulldozed for REP (though that project in itself seems to have sunk without trace).

They're building a new dome at Forest for the Academy and school, but nothing's been started on that yet. Don't believe any other school buildings will be used. Academy scholars are only at Forest in the morning.

Looks like there's a mix of new buildings and refurbishment of old at Bearwood. There's a nice lodge at the entrance that they've renovated and extended, and then beyond that to the left is a big block of new buildings. The pitch to the right of the entrance, that looks slightly lower than ground level, is the same size as the Mad Stad one and has under soil heating, to facilitate year-round training. That's the main first XI grass pitch, but looks like most pitches will have floodlights.

Good news if they are refurbing some of the old buildings. Would be nice if the 'first team' pitch has public access so we can watch some of the Academy games.
If they are floodlighting every pitch that is some investment, none of the Hogwarts grass pitches are floodlit, will massively extend the use they get out of the facility as long as it doesn't knacker the grass (although of course it is only rugby that ruins the grass on sports pitches as we know). I wonder if they plan to make the pitches available for community use at all ?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 May 2019 19:59

Nameless
King Coppell Weren’t the academy supposed to be by last xmas? This really is dragging along, especially as we were told the Chinese made some changes of their own to put their stamp on it, yet we haven’t been told or shown what those changes are, or received any visual updates on the building work.

Not sure how they can even think about doing the work without checking with us first !

Don’t they know who we are?

Have they even got a login for this portal? It’s a disgrace.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2019 11:45

Nameless I wonder if they plan to make the pitches available for community use at all ?

yeah was wondering that as well. Presumably the Dome at the Madejski will go eventually. ITs starting to look a bit tattered and isn't being especially well maintained - at least last time I was there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 May 2019 11:52

Hound
Nameless I wonder if they plan to make the pitches available for community use at all ?

yeah was wondering that as well. Presumably the Dome at the Madejski will go eventually. ITs starting to look a bit tattered and isn't being especially well maintained - at least last time I was there.

If Category 1 clubs are anything to go by - it will be a big fat no.

Teams maybe invited in to use / events, but wont be available for "community".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 May 2019 16:19

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2019 16:23

Hound https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/our-bearwood-park-progress--phase-one/

Nice, you really cant fault the club for the communications recently. Top draw.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 16 May 2019 00:01

Hendo
Hound https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/our-bearwood-park-progress--phase-one/

Things have improved a lot with the new guy who’s recently come in. Not sure of his name, but good work, thank you!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 May 2019 09:23

Wallsy
Hendo

Things have improved a lot with the new guy who’s recently come in. Not sure of his name, but good work, thank you!

I think he’s known as Wallsy to his mates.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jun 2019 14:36

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 26 Jun 2019 13:27

Sutekh Latest update from the EP site.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-16451127

I love how we've kept these old buildings and will use them, and we also have a lake on site. That would be lovely for an office to overlook.

It's made me wonder, has anyone else got such a scenic training ground in the UK?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Jun 2019 09:37

Wallsy
Sutekh Latest update from the EP site.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-16451127

I love how we've kept these old buildings and will use them, and we also have a lake on site. That would be lovely for an office to overlook.

It's made me wonder, has anyone else got such a scenic training ground in the UK?

Fulham is decent. Decent in that its old historic buildings set within a park setting.

Chelsea and Spurs are outrageously amazing, again in park settings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2019 09:45

took a wrong turn once and ended up in Chelsea's training ground in Cobham. Its very impressive - think half the players live basically across the road, its a very expensive and exclusive area

Is Fulham's all that? Nice ground, but isn't the training ground in Motspur Park? Its ok, but nothing special - basically a park in amongst a load of houses. Been a long time since I've been there mind you so may have improved

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 30 Jun 2019 09:55

The old buildings are to be renovated for private housing to sell or rent

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2019 18:13

multisync1830 The old buildings are to be renovated for private housing to sell or rent

Don’t think the Lodge will be turned into housing, IIRC the old riding school area was going to be housing as it’s somewhat separate from the rest and they would make a decent return on a small development in a location like that. Will be interesting to see whether that revenue is fed into the club accounts....

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 30 Jun 2019 20:22

multisync1830 The old buildings are to be renovated for private housing to sell or rent

Not all of them old chap. One of which will be used by us. I can’t remember now what they said it used to be. A tea room or something.

Housing makes good sense for some though as that helps pay for some of the facilities. A wise move.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Jun 2019 20:33

RFC still own the lake. They want to keep it to make the place look nice.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 00:08

Wallsy

Not all of them old chap. One of which will be used by us. I can’t remember now what they said it used to be. A tea room or something.

Housing makes good sense for some though as that helps pay for some of the facilities. A wise move.

The Lodge was the old golf club building, had offices, changing rooms and bar (can’t recall whether ‘bar’ might be slightly over calling what was actuallynthere, been a long time since Implayed golf there)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 00:09

paddy20 RFC still own the lake. They want to keep it to make the place look nice.

Bit hard to sell the lake ! Would the buyer collect or you would deliver ?

311 posts