Royalty Points Review

132 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Royalty Points Review

by Snowball » 20 Mar 2015 09:43

In the lower leagues (at least with Newport County)
when they got a plum draw they simple announce
points will be awarded for the next X games.

that is, to get your ticket to the big game you had to attend
all or most of the upcoming games.

So RFC could simply say (could have said)

Buy tickets for

Charlton (A)
Cardiff (H)
Blackpool (A)
Blackburn (H)

and accrue points for the semi tickets

They could have announced the points idea once we knew we were playing Bradford Away

Bolton, Brighton, Bradford, Watford -
then
Charlton, Cardiff, Blackpool, Blackburn

That way loyal fans who go to all 8 get priority (Sts already have the home games as a head start)

You get 4-8 heavily-supported more atmospheric games, more money into the coffers, a build up of atmosphere/camerarderie for eight games coming up to Wembley, and it's totally fair.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Mar 2015 09:50

Is it 10 points every time you join Star, Star?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Mar 2015 10:15

"Royalty Points/MegaStore Discount: STAR members receive 10 “Royalty Points” allowing higher priority to big-games and scarce tickets, as well as a voucher for 10% Off at the Megastore (2014-15 season subject to renewal of agreement with RFC. Discount voucher only valid for personal visit at Megastore and not for purchases online)"

http://star-reading.org/index.php/membership/

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Mar 2015 10:46

LWJ Is it 10 points every time you join Star, Star?

LWJ - yeah.

RG30 - no. you were on your own with that suggestion.

No doubt someone will ask why. I'm going out in a minute for the rest of the day so I'll give it my best shot but it might not be the entire story.
- it's a benefit we have negotiated with the club on behalf of our members in order to make joining STAR more attractive (no crime in that, surely?)
- it relates to / follows on from a similar benefit negotiated by RFSC (the old supporters club) in Elm Park days following on from some ticketing fiasco in the 1990s
- in real terms it is a diminishing benefit as it has stood still at 10 points for decade and therefore accounts for a lower proportion of all royalty points acquired. Perhaps we should seek to apply the PieTM co-efficient to this benefit thus upping it to 25 points a season and restoring its old value :wink:

STAR -

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Mar 2015 11:01

Just to be clear the Pie Inflation points were not a step change but a slow addition of points per season. So you'd need to add say 5pts over 3 seasons.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 20 Mar 2015 11:11

PieEater Just to be clear the Pie Inflation points were not a step change but a slow addition of points per season. So you'd need to add say 5pts over 3 seasons.

I think this is a good idea except I think it should be more, say 5% per season. I have had a ST since the stadium opened so it would not benefit me but it does seem fairer

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Mar 2015 11:50

Anyone who had a season ticket at Elm Park should get at least 2000 points awarded and Southbank membership card holders an additional 1000 points. You know, the fans that were there in the day of less than 3000 fans and when the club nearly went out of business.....

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 20 Mar 2015 12:08

No Fixed Abode Anyone who had a season ticket at Elm Park should get at least 2000 points awarded and Southbank membership card holders an additional 1000 points. You know, the fans that were there in the day of less than 3000 fans and when the club nearly went out of business.....

I like many fans my age whole heartedly apologise for not being in existence when we were there or old enough to attend games.

Im guessing our support and ST for the last 16 years should not be taken into account

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Mar 2015 12:13

No Fixed Abode Anyone who had a season ticket at Elm Park should get at least 2000 points awarded and Southbank membership card holders an additional 1000 points. You know, the fans that were there in the day of less than 3000 fans and when the club nearly went out of business.....

FINALLY.....we agree.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Mar 2015 15:24

moonwalklikebas

I like many fans my age whole heartedly apologise for not being in existence when we were there or old enough to attend games.

Im guessing our support and ST for the last 16 years should not be taken into account

It should - I'm just saying those of the 3ish thousand at Elm Park who are still alive today - should get extra points. The club should have kept a record when they moved to reward these fans. Without them - the club you know today wouldn't be around.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Mar 2015 16:19

starliaison

LWJ - yeah.

-

Can I join Star, leave, join, leave? Paying £10 each time? 10 points is 1 home game, which I doubt I would get for £10 so I would be happy to pay say £500 for 500 points. If this isn't an option I would like to pledge my allegiance to Star for the next 50 seasons so will pay up front if that's okay?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Mar 2015 17:33

Snowball In the lower leagues (at least with Newport County)

RFC used to do that in EP days.
Obviously you need a process to prioritise tickets for those games as well though as if people know that the only way to get Cup Final tickets is to go to the pre matches then demand for those will exceed available tickets as well.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Mar 2015 18:50

LWJ
starliaison

LWJ - yeah.

-

Can I join Star, leave, join, leave? Paying £10 each time? 10 points is 1 home game, which I doubt I would get for £10 so I would be happy to pay say £500 for 500 points. If this isn't an option I would like to pledge my allegiance to Star for the next 50 seasons so will pay up front if that's okay?

Are you short of points for something?

I think the main barrier to what you suggest is getting RFC to update your Royalty point account every hour on the hour for the next 21 days. I also fear that our membership secretary may be unwilling to go along with this scheme. We're really rather more tailored to people joining just once a season. Call us old-fashioned, if you must.

So, much as we'd appreciate your professed loyalty to our cause and your £500 (given you keep calling us Star instead of STAR - I have a mind to complain to the Bbc about that) I'm afraid I don't think this one's a go-er. I could raise it as the next Board meeting on 9th April though.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 21 Mar 2015 07:44

Nameless
Snowball In the lower leagues (at least with Newport County)

RFC used to do that in EP days.
Obviously you need a process to prioritise tickets for those games as well though as if people know that the only way to get Cup Final tickets is to go to the pre matches then demand for those will exceed available tickets as well.

When we played Arsenal in 1972 vouchers were given out for the home game v Barrow. The crowd that day was 11,689 compared to the 2,441 in the corresponding fixture the previous season. So, a good money spinner for the club.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 21 Mar 2015 09:00

Us oldies remember the corner of a page in the programmes having to be collected to get a ticket for cup games.

In all honesty i dont think there is much wrong with how it is right now except for a kind of long service loyalty point credit.
Maybe something like and extra 500 points when you reach 5 years continuous as a season ticket holder or something similar.
Apologies if this has already been suggested but i cant be arsed to read all the pages.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Mar 2015 10:13

In some ways current st holders don't have to worry about points. Except high profile away games. Which in this league we don't have many, Wembley is different scenario

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Mar 2015 11:19

Not keen on idea 2 to be honest.

You get your reward for buying the season ticket. I currently pay for three season tickets. Due to work commitments etc. I probably miss 5-8 games a season. Due to university commitments etc. my kids miss a similar number, if not more. However, the club still benefit from me paying for a whole season of football up front. If we were to be penalised for not using the season tickets that we have paid for then that would tip the balance and we would stop paying for season tickets in favour of a pay per game basis. That would result in the club losing out financially.

I wouldn't be averse to away games attracting the same number of points as home games but, given that the scheme is no doubt intended to reward financial support to the club more than attendance at games, I doubt the club will be keen to make that change.

Given the objective of the scheme it is probably already set up the best that it can be.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 25 Mar 2015 23:33

RoyalBlue Given the objective of the scheme it is probably already set up the best that it can be - despite John Madejski rather than because of him.

Corrected for you.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 26 Mar 2015 17:59

According to the ticket office, I did not exist as a season ticket holder or club member before 2011 :o When the Mad Stad ticket office opened (a porta cabin if I recall) I was the 210th person to buy a season ticket and held that seat for 4 seasons ( career moved prevented me from attending regularly after that) Having also held a ST at elm park as well a Southbank members card I was quite dismayed at having to wait till Sunday and hope to get a ticket for the semi :cry:

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 27 Mar 2015 12:02

That isn't great - when did the points system come in, some time around 2004 if I recall correctly?

Were you buying paper tickets when you did attend?

132 posts