Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thai owners

by Royal Rother » 30 Jun 2015 14:51

Bit quiet on this thread.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 30 Jun 2015 15:47

PeterReadingborn59 29 May 2015 On paper the current owners seem a good option.
1 Developers with funds to develop space around the Mad Stad
2 Group of investors to prevent single person changing team name, colours, appoint relations etc.
3 see the investment as a business venture and not indulge themselves as if it is a computer game
4 let the Manager manage
5 not publicity seekers,
6 support team on summer tour to build oversea interest
7 bring in new sponsors
8 building club finances to avoid the risks faced last summer of not paying bills
9 allow Manager time to prove himself, avoid knee jerk reactions to results
10 new approach to run business

Long way to go but given investment in August with Norwood, estimated to be around £1m, loanees Mackie, Murray, January investment to try and ensure RFC stayed up and avoided taking on too much long-term expenses to leave more room for the summer period, Sa, Quinn and others, tomorrow is the official transfer open date.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 06 Jul 2015 11:13

So, the Thai's are waiting on RBC to grant permission to build a new 'multi million pound conference arena' on part of the car park. I haven't seen all of their plans yet but the response seems to be positive.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jul 2015 11:16

Let's be fair - the Mad Stad could do with livening up around the stadium. Such a souless place.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jul 2015 11:22

will a conference centre and retal park really help with the soul of the thing?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jul 2015 11:24

Maneki Neko will a conference centre and retal park really help with the soul of the thing?

Doesn't the Mad Stad/hotel already have several conference facilities

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jul 2015 11:31

Maneki Neko will a conference centre and retal park really help with the soul of the thing?

Yep - Anything is better than the current st8 of affairs.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 06 Jul 2015 11:52

Sutekh

Since being sold, it doesn't bring in any income to the football club, I assume this will, as what's his chops (majority share holder) says the Championship doesn't have enough money in it and we need to bring in more from retail and other sources, then he announced this as part of their plans.
Last edited by Coppelled_Streets on 06 Jul 2015 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jul 2015 11:52

At least there may be some chain pubs/bars in ther I suppose. That's better than nothing, I guess

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2015 12:38

Coppelled_Streets
Sutekh

Since being sold, it doesn't bring in any income to the football club, I assume this will, as what's his chops (majority share holder) says the Championship doesn't have enough money in it and we need to bring in more from retail and other sources, then he announced this as part of their plans.

Are you sure the Conference centre no longer generates income for the club ?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jul 2015 12:42

I remember staying there a few years ago and there was a national conference of Alcoholics Anonymous in situ.

I doubt the bar takings contributed much to the club that weekend.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2015 12:43

Much more profit on soft drinks than alcoholic ones I believe.....

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 06 Jul 2015 12:49

Nameless Are you sure the Conference centre no longer generates income for the club ?

Sure someone on here said it'd been sold as part of the hotel but I may be crossing wires. If not then I agree, building another seems odd, or their choice of English was wrong, because they said 'arena' too, and some are speculating about concerts etc being held there. I guess we'll know more soon enough. If it generates more income for the club then it's all good.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jul 2015 13:06

Nameless Much more profit on soft drinks than alcoholic ones I believe.....

Maybe so, but I'm yet to see a crowd of people having an orange juice session.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jul 2015 13:24

:lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jul 2015 14:25

Just posted by CW on the getReading site about today's press conference in Thailand...

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-thai-owners-hint-9596756

Majority shareholder Niruttinanon spoke about the club and what the future could hold for Reading under their Thai ownership.

And one interesting line of questioning revolved around the possibility of building a new entertainment complex on part of the car park at Madejski Stadium.

CW - Can I ask about the land around the football club? We always here whispers that you’re planning to develop on the land. I hear talk of some sort of complex possibly on the Madejski Stadium car park. Are you just looking at football or are you looking on a wider scale around Reading?

NN - The objective is for the club to have more stable revenue income. It is no secret that most teams in the Championship don’t make money and if the financial performance of Reading continues in the way it has been, then you are looking a change of ownership once we feel that we can not continue to support the team.

So we are looking to develop some projects around the stadium. Something that can work for the club as well as the community. It is to make sure that the club benefits from those projects.

So if you are asking if we are looking for those sort of opportunities, then yes we are.

CW - What sort of stage are you at with that?

NN - Because Reading is developing very fast, there are things that the council wish to have more of in the city. So they, and our management, have had some discussions on what could be developed around the stadium that could meet those kind of needs. And also financially benefit the club.

At this time I’m not sure I would be ready to share the information, but we hope to be able to tell the public very soon, if the project itself is approved by the council.

CW - I’ve heard it could be some sort of arena, where there could be performances, concerts, things like that. Is that right?

NN - Yes, that is one of the ideas. Something that can bring people who will organise events and conferences which will bring people to hotels and bring other revenue to the city. That’s what the council wish to have.

CW - We’d lose a bit of car parking space at the Madejski Stadium then?

NN - So we need to build something to compensate for that reduction of space.

CW - It all sounds like a big commitment from yourselves, those sort of things aren’t cheap to do. You’d be looking at a lot of money to build something like that.

NN - Yes. I don’t have experience in real estate, the other shareholders know more and they think it is an idea that is feasible for us to do and I support it.

Really hope it is a concert venue, really desperately need one in the Thames Valley and I imagine it would be very attractive to have a stadium, hotel and venue all right next to each other so fans and artists alike would not have far to go to for a night's kip.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2015 14:33

Arena style venue would certainly make a sense. Concerts wouldn't happen regularly enough but might be able to bring in some conferences that are based in London due to lower costs and easier access from Heathrow.

If the arena is multi-pupose could potentially see the Reading Rockets move in as Rivermead is not big enough for them to move up a level - could also house ice hockey. All potentially under the Reading FC branding, similar to a lot of European clubs who have a football team, basketball team, handball team etc.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Jul 2015 14:43

Reading between the lines it's quite clear that we're getting an ice rink, a bowling alley and a monorail

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 06 Jul 2015 14:44

RBC have been looking at alternatives to the hexagon for years, so that works really well, and the town needs something modern like that. Also recognising we'll need to find alternative parking for the lost spaces is good to hear. They're not just looking to gobble up land and forget the fans.

305 posts