Royal Elm Park

587 posts
MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Royal Elm Park

by MoorgateRoyal » 08 Oct 2015 16:35

Ice hockey is mental.

There could be a new Reading FC-affiliated ice hockey team.

Put the youngsters in there to toughen them up.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Oct 2015 16:57

I wonder how much of a market there is for it really.

What sort of attendances do Bracknell Bees get?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Oct 2015 17:57

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the most important aspect of this, that being whether there is a Spoons included in the plans.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Oct 2015 18:20

Green I wonder how much of a market there is for it really.

They used to get about 1800. I once saw a full house of 3100, when Sheffield brought about 1300 down.

I think they get about half that now, but they are crap.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Oct 2015 19:06

I've got several mancunian mates that go to Manchester STORM (based in Altrincham) games and get really involved.

One plays for the Manchester Titans American Football team - so he might be quite yankiephile.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Oct 2015 20:37

I think i'd prefer a bowling alley, but other than that sounds sweet.

I have no idea how they'll fit it all in unless there's some other land they own...

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 09 Oct 2015 08:48

ZacNaloen I think i'd prefer a bowling alley, but other than that sounds sweet.

I have no idea how they'll fit it all in unless there's some other land they own...

I reckon they would put a false floor down over the ice to make the rink the conference/live venue. I think they do that to a venue in Nottingham

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 09:51

It all looks quite exciting, although difficult to envisage at the moment.
Surprised they are going for an ice rink. Can something like that make any money, and aren't the running costs going to be pretty high. They will have done the sums I.m sure.
Agree that it's going to be flexible use of space. A big barn that can be split into smaller units for different events makes sense.
How the transport network will cope is one big question. They will need some pretty radical improvements.
It will also be interesting to see how they plan to build it. I'm sure there are some civil engineers on HNA who will have a better idea of how long something like this will take but it's got to be a couple of years ? All while the stadium continues to function, potentially with 24,000 crowds. I wonder whether the old speedway site will be part of it, even if only turned into a proper car park for use during the development phase. .
If they do pull this off it will be impressive and could also solve the longstanding moan of there being nothing to do pre post match in the area.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Oct 2015 10:04

CrowthorneRoyal
ZacNaloen I think i'd prefer a bowling alley, but other than that sounds sweet.

I reckon they would put a false floor down over the ice to make the rink the conference/live venue. I think they do that to a venue in Nottingham

Speaking of Nottingham, how about a Southern branch of Hooters? Never did visit the only Hooters in the UK while I was up in Derby.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 10:12

There's a Hooters in Windsor.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Oct 2015 10:30

Nameless There's a Hooters in Windsor.

I don't know for sure but looking it up, it suggest that Hooters might have closed. That being said the suggestion of a Hooters in this newly developed area was a bit tongue in cheek.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 10:33

The Windsor one is a music shop anyway, so may not have been the ideal place for teenagers with excess hormones to pretend to enjoy their food !

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 09 Oct 2015 10:42

Nameless It all looks quite exciting, although difficult to envisage at the moment.
Surprised they are going for an ice rink. Can something like that make any money, and aren't the running costs going to be pretty high. They will have done the sums I.m sure.
Agree that it's going to be flexible use of space. A big barn that can be split into smaller units for different events makes sense.
How the transport network will cope is one big question. They will need some pretty radical improvements.
It will also be interesting to see how they plan to build it. I'm sure there are some civil engineers on HNA who will have a better idea of how long something like this will take but it's got to be a couple of years ? All while the stadium continues to function, potentially with 24,000 crowds. I wonder whether the old speedway site will be part of it, even if only turned into a proper car park for use during the development phase. .
If they do pull this off it will be impressive and could also solve the longstanding moan of there being nothing to do pre post match in the area.

The timescale will depend how far along the process they are. If they haven't selected a designer you could be talking about 3-4 yrs. Designers will tender: 2-3 months
Select a designer: depends how long they want to take put assume 1-2 months.
Initial design concept and planning permission: depends on council
Full design: 4-6 months. They could risk carrying on with design without planning permission.
Pre-qualification of contractors: 2 months
Send out documents for tender, contractors price the documents (which is what I now do): 3-4 months.
Selection of contractors: 2 months.

Arguably they may not then start construction until at least 18 months time and then that would take a couple of years for something this size. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't opened until 2020/21.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 10:59

Didn't they say the plans have been drawn up in consultation with the council so maybe that means they are quite a way along that path already ?
I was hoping it might be there before Christmas.......

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 09 Oct 2015 11:01

Looking at the picture of the surrouding area on the OS, where exactly is the parcel of land that will be developed? Where the indoor training dome currently is?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Oct 2015 11:20

Humanistic Looking at the picture of the surrouding area on the OS, where exactly is the parcel of land that will be developed? Where the indoor training dome currently is?

Yep. And the car park.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2015 11:55

Platypuss
Humanistic Looking at the picture of the surrouding area on the OS, where exactly is the parcel of land that will be developed? Where the indoor training dome currently is?

Yep. And the car park.

What will happen to the garden of remembrance :shock:

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 09 Oct 2015 11:58

Nice local derby right there!

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 09 Oct 2015 12:04

Somewhere substantial to drink would be nice.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Oct 2015 12:20

A large mock-Victorian pub with plenty of cask conditioned real ale, Reading FC memorabilia and vegetarian food options please.

587 posts