Millwall (a)

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Millwall (a)

by LWJ » 25 Sep 2017 10:25

genome How easy is this to get to after work, via Padders?

Probably around 30-40 minutes from Paddington to London Bridge, and then a further 10 or so from London Bridge to South Bermondsey.

IMO if you can get to Reading station for 6 at the latest you can make it across to the game in time.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 25 Sep 2017 13:27

If the ticket postal deadline has snuck up on any other London 'nobbers*, you will be pleased to hear tickets will be available at the gate. Surprisingly at the same rate as an advanced booking (£23).

*- also true for unprepared 'nobbers from other areas

Bunny1885

by Bunny1885 » 26 Sep 2017 08:33

Muskrat If ever the song "this is a sh1t hole, I wanna go home" was apt to be sung it's here. Absolutely dire place and stadium. I used to live in Charlton and that was Shangri-La compared to Deptford or Bermondsey.

Charlton is horrible - bland, southeast London suburbia, with no redeeming features at all. The only thing Charlton the place has going for it is the fact that it is in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

Yes, the immediate area around The Den isn't great, a scrap yard for old lorries, a traveller camp, some council estates and mix industrial units, but Bermondsey the place pisses all over Charlton! Bermondsey has some great old London pubs, as well as new micro breweries, a lovely riverfront along the Thames, lots of charismatic houses and streets and the location makes it both central London, but with the feel of an old fashioned London 'manor'. Deptford too - home to some great pubs, an exciting music and art scene and also charismatic houses and streets.

As for The Den. Ha, I can't argue there. But, as a Millwall fan I like the fact that it's a bit crap. If Millwall had to move from Cold Blow Lane into a new all seater stadium then thank Reg Burr that it was into a stadium that wouldn't look out of place in some Eastern bloc country. Functional and without glamour. Perfect. All I think we need to do is fill in the corners and make the lower tiers safe standing to top it off.

Furthermore, as others have pointed to the Reading fans who have said that The Den is a pain to get to...

It is a 4 minute train ride from London Bridge (one of the capitals most central stations) and South Bermondsey is the first stop & actually overlooks the ground. There is also a walkway direct from the station to the away turnstiles. Trains for South Bermondsey run every 20 minutes or so. If that's a pain to get to then I can only assume that those posters expect to be dropped off at the turnstile in a golden carriage or only go to watch Reading away at Aldershot in a pre-season friendly?!?

The Den is all ringed by Bermondsey, Surrey Quays and Canada Water tube stations. Or, you could get the train to New Cross and walk the old way to the ground. Plus, there is a bus stop a 2 minute walk from the ground. Pain to get to??

There are pubs near(ish) the ground - The Surrey Docks, Ancient Forresters and the Blue Anchor are all walkable. However, bar the Surrey Docks (a weatherspoons), probably best to avoid. There a plenty of good pubs around London Bridge. Then hop on train for a 4 minute trip to South Bermondsey (pain to get to??!!).

Bunny1885

by Bunny1885 » 26 Sep 2017 09:11

SWLR Brings back bad, bad memories.
http://www.royals.org/matdoc/161199.html

The worst away performance I have ever seen by far, although am I right in thinking this led to Pants Day?

I remember that game well - as it was a bit of a watershed moment in the modern history of Millwall.

We had only just come out of administration and were having to field kids from the academy. Crowds were at their lowest since the bad old days of the early 1980s. In fact, the gate of 5,202 is one of the lowest ever league gates at the 'new' Den.

Yet, in that game our young team came alive - with Neil Harris grabbing a brace. We didn't really look back after that game, finishing 4th and going out in the Play-offs to Wigan, before storming the division as Champions the following season (I went to that 4-3 Millwall win at the Mad Stad, where we were 4-0 up after 50 mins) and then finishing 4th in the Championship and reaching the FA Cup final and Europe in 2004. It seemed like it all started that night.

CountCowchula

by CountCowchula » 26 Sep 2017 10:05

Do you have to get a overground ticket between London Bridge and South Bermondsey or can you get away with it on match days?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Sep 2017 11:46

Muskrat If ever the song "this is a sh1t hole, I wanna go home" was apt to be sung it's here. Absolutely dire place and stadium. I used to live in Charlton and that was Shangri-La compared to Deptford or Bermondsey.

Ridiculous post. This is one of the best away days in the league - great traditional 4 sided stadium too.

Bunny1885

by Bunny1885 » 26 Sep 2017 12:42

CountCowchula Do you have to get a overground ticket between London Bridge and South Bermondsey or can you get away with it on match days?

No. You could simply hop on the train at London Bridge - as there are no barriers at South Bermondsey station.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Sep 2017 13:35

IIRC the ticket to Waterloo includes all London stations, so you can get the train to Waterloo then from Waterloo East to Bermo, or to London Bridge for beers then buy a ticket to Bermo.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Sep 2017 14:37

I rang up the ticket office before midday and bought a ticket which can be collected at the ground.

They also said tickets can be bought on the gate.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 26 Sep 2017 14:57

I'll be there tonight, paying on the door, and not inviting any mates as I think it will be a horrific spectacle of a match 8) still, love going to Milwall

CountCowchula

by CountCowchula » 26 Sep 2017 15:00

Bunny1885
CountCowchula Do you have to get a overground ticket between London Bridge and South Bermondsey or can you get away with it on match days?

No. You could simply hop on the train at London Bridge - as there are no barriers at South Bermondsey station.

Cheers pal!

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 26 Sep 2017 20:06

Bunny1885

Charlton is horrible - bland, southeast London suburbia, with no redeeming features at all. The only thing Charlton the place has going for it is the fact that it is in the Royal Borough of Greenwich etc etc...

Well tbf I did live on the Blackheath side (nearest station was Westcombe Park) but to add a bit of balance you really ought to have mentioned Charlton Village at least. Not that I'm trying to defend Charlton (why would I) and I'm not trying to disrespect your Manor but having worked in Bermondsey (and Lewisham for the matter of that) I'm sticking to my guns. But then I've spent my whole life trying to defend Reading so frankly :|

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Millwall (a)i

by Muskrat » 26 Sep 2017 20:18

John Smith

Ridiculous post. This is one of the best away days in the league - great traditional 4 sided stadium too.

Yeah it's so good it comes 75/92 in 4-4-2 magazine's worst match day experience :lol: where 92 is the worst (Coventry City btw). Having said that the stadium gets quite a good write up - "identikit stadium without the soul of the Old Den".

Bunny1885

by Bunny1885 » 26 Sep 2017 22:36

Muskrat
John Smith

Yeah it's so good it comes 75/92 in 4-4-2 magazine's worst match day experience :lol: where 92 is the worst (Coventry City btw). Having said that the stadium gets quite a good write up - "identikit stadium without the soul of the Old Den".

You mean that review written by soppy post Euro 96 type fans that actually want grounds to be next to motorway junctions?

And idenikit? Our 'new' ground was built so long ago its design was soon over taken over by bowl designs. In fact the only ground The Den looks like is Ibrox.

But 442 know their stuff - you can tell that by their excellent final table predictions that are always accurate. They're definitely not a load of geeky Arsenal supporting middle class students!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Sep 2017 09:18

Bunny1885
Muskrat
John Smith Ridiculous post. This is one of the best away days in the league - great traditional 4 sided stadium too.

You mean that review written by soppy post Euro 96 type fans that actually want grounds to be next to motorway junctions?

And idenikit? Our 'new' ground was built so long ago its design was soon over taken over by bowl designs. In fact the only ground The Den looks like is Ibrox.

But 442 know their stuff - you can tell that by their excellent final table predictions that are always accurate. They're definitely not a load of geeky Arsenal supporting middle class students!

A big plus one to that. They probably moaned that you could get a decent latte lol!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Sep 2017 15:00

Mr Optimist
Bunny1885
Muskrat

A big plus one to that. They probably moaned that you could get a decent latte lol!

I dunno what I was expecting from the New Den, as I'd never been before, but after Tuesday, I do not know why anybody moans so much about our fans or attendance. The attendance was just over 10K - and we were probably a good 1000 of that. They weren't very noisy either, up till the last 10-15 minutes.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Sep 2017 12:08

The original Den was a much more inhospitable, intimidating and edgy place to go and watch football. The ground, the approach and streets around it, the pubs, everything, not helped by the fearsome reputation of the locals. It was a rough arse place. Bunny makes a good point that if Millwall had to move from their crumbling old home in to the "modern" stadium era then the already rusting, character and charmless, functional, New Den, is perfectly suited to the club!

The gentrification and foreign money going in to central London continues to squeeze the indeginus working class further out as even previously working class areas such as Brixton, Battersea and Clapham have been taken over by hoorays, and it has spread to South East and East London in the last 20 years.

What London stadiums retain any character these days now places like Highbury, White Hart Lane and the Boleyn Ground have gone? Craven Cottage, possibly Loftis Road, not many....