Club 1871

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Club 1871

by handbags_harris » 30 May 2018 21:26

One87One Not keen on it being called South Bank. Us oldies who stood on the South Bank moved to Y25/26 and that is where the spirit of the South Bank is. However, I love the idea and fancy a change so I'm open to moving my ST next season.

When will the club make the decision if the 2000 home fans in the South Stand is a go? And when can STH's move their respective seats?

I can;t be absolutely certain on timeframes as it all depends on when discussions are held with the owners, but I'd hope for something concrete within the next 2-4 weeks. It hasn't gone quiet though, trust me, we're just like a graceful swan - not a lot going on up top but a load of work going on underneath the surface.

I can also confirm it will not be referred to as the South Bank.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 May 2018 10:04

The "spirit of the South Bank" died when Elm Park was bulldozed IMHO.

A load of kids gesturing to the away fans in Y25 never really cut it for me.

One87One

by One87One » 31 May 2018 12:13

handbags_harris
One87One Not keen on it being called South Bank. Us oldies who stood on the South Bank moved to Y25/26 and that is where the spirit of the South Bank is. However, I love the idea and fancy a change so I'm open to moving my ST next season.

When will the club make the decision if the 2000 home fans in the South Stand is a go? And when can STH's move their respective seats?

I can;t be absolutely certain on timeframes as it all depends on when discussions are held with the owners, but I'd hope for something concrete within the next 2-4 weeks. It hasn't gone quiet though, trust me, we're just like a graceful swan - not a lot going on up top but a load of work going on underneath the surface.

I can also confirm it will not be referred to as the South Bank.

Top man, cheers!

One87One

by One87One » 31 May 2018 12:14

Green The "spirit of the South Bank" died when Elm Park was bulldozed IMHO.

That was us in the South Bank once. The difference is we're getting old and sensible now.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jun 2018 15:23

One87One

That was us in the South Bank once. The difference is we're getting old and sensible now.
The difference back then was the fact the away fans could climb over the fence and charge at the young kids - that's why they all wore running trainers :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jun 2018 17:29

Forbury Lion
One87One

The difference back then was the fact the away fans could climb over the fence and charge at the young kids - that's why they all wore running trainers :lol:

Alternatively, as I recall, away fans also had the option of hurling bits of concrete towards the South Bank if they couldn't be arsed with getting over the fence.

BTW, anyone remember the days in the 70s when you could walk round onto the Town End from the South Bank...

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Jun 2018 18:03

Sutekh
Forbury Lion
One87One

Alternatively, as I recall, away fans also had the option of hurling bits of concrete towards the South Bank if they couldn't be arsed with getting over the fence.

BTW, anyone remember the days in the 70s when you could walk round onto the Town End from the South Bank...

Yes, We used to change ends at half time so we stood behind whichever goal we were attacking, but cannot really recall if we stood at Town or Tilehurst End before the match. If we kicked off in the other direction, we had to run to the other end. At least a lot of the time there wasn't much of crowd to fight our way through. It could have been in the 60's before segregation became the norm. Anyone remember which end the team preferred to attack in the first half? I think it was the Town End, but I am far from certain.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 04 Jun 2018 19:33

Initially I stood on the Town end. When it rained I paid the 5p or 10p (whatever it was) to transfer to the luxury of the South Bank :D
They were the days I had a silk scarf tied round my wrist and came to the game armed with a toilet roll :D

Those of a certain age will understand!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Jun 2018 20:01

Yep you could definitely walk from Tilehurst End to South Bank and to the Town End until late 1970's, well in to the hooliganism era; not sure exactly when the Town End was designated away fans only.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 05 Jun 2018 08:55

SWLR and I were Town End regulars in the late 60s/early 70s. I think I remember it was 2/6 to get in ... (and I certainly remember it was 22p when new fangled coins were introduced in '71.)

Can't recall when the Town End became 'away' only.... I think after Mansfield brought what seemed like thousands for an end of season promotion party so someone will have to look that up because I CBA - or possibly after Shrewsbury - of all teams - kicked off in the Southbank.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 02 Jul 2018 12:33

I've just renewed my Season Ticket with Club 1871, really looking forward to it. Even though we didn't play well vs Sunderland and Ipswich, i still really enjoyed myself in the South Stand, which I can only really say at away days when the atmosphere has been good. Makes home games less boring.

Hopefully people will jump on the bandwagon and join in and get that south stand full! Also, looking forward to seeing a bit of colour in the stand from banners, displays and flags.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2018 13:09

madreadingfan I've just renewed my Season Ticket with Club 1871, really looking forward to it. Even though we didn't play well vs Sunderland and Ipswich, i still really enjoyed myself in the South Stand, which I can only really say at away days when the atmosphere has been good. Makes home games less boring.

Hopefully people will jump on the bandwagon and join in and get that south stand full! Also, looking forward to seeing a bit of colour in the stand from banners, displays and flags.

I've just been in touch with the club to make sure they provide you with an immediate refund and a ban from a 2 mile perimeter of the stadium on a matchday to prevent these acts of, quite frankly, daft and childish behaviour.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 02 Jul 2018 15:02

John Smith
madreadingfan I've just renewed my Season Ticket with Club 1871, really looking forward to it. Even though we didn't play well vs Sunderland and Ipswich, i still really enjoyed myself in the South Stand, which I can only really say at away days when the atmosphere has been good. Makes home games less boring.

I've just been in touch with the club to make sure they provide you with an immediate refund and a ban from a 2 mile perimeter of the stadium on a matchday to prevent these acts of, quite frankly, daft and childish behaviour.

:lol: :lol: :lol: love the fact that Club 1871 piss you off so much - even though they are trying to create an atmosphere that Madejski is lacking. Worth the move alone.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jul 2018 19:30

John Smith

Prick

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 03 Jul 2018 07:02

Royality creeps In Initially I stood on the Town end. When it rained I paid the 5p or 10p (whatever it was) to transfer to the luxury of the South Bank :D
They were the days I had a silk scarf tied round my wrist and came to the game armed with a toilet roll :D

Those of a certain age will understand!

Proper footy.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Jul 2018 07:48

Any idea how many STH have now moved over to Club 1871? Seems to be a fair number

I'm going to stay in Y25 but possibly move after a few games

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jul 2018 09:37

windermereROYAL Prick

It's a shame you couldn't be more eloquent here as I'd may be able to respond/help understand your frustrations.

biff

by biff » 03 Jul 2018 15:01

NE corner is made for this. Sparsely populated, surrounded by Ultramongs for the true RFC atmosphere experience, and wont cause a headache when we get a proper away support looking for a 4k allocation.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jul 2018 16:46

biff NE corner is made for this. Sparsely populated, surrounded by Ultramongs for the true RFC atmosphere experience, and wont cause a headache when we get a proper away support looking for a 4k allocation.

:o Wow - someone with some sense finally.

Warning biff: you may be called a prick for voicing an opinion like this

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2018 17:33

How do you move to club 1871? I missed it when renewing yesterday?