LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by LWJ » 04 Mar 2020 12:54

Simmops
LWJ
Simmops

But surely the club knew that having club 1871 would be a massive increase in costs/decrease in income and that this could have happened, and the FP&A team or accountants would have surely budgeted for this?

I would be interested to see how much club 1871 is actually costing the club in lost revenue and other costs.

It's cost is insignificant and not something we should factor in, when compared to our full accounts.

Having worked in FP&A and accounting in the sports industry, there is no such thing as an insignificant cost. Especially in such a volatile industry where a relegation/promotion could change everything.

They are insignificant when you compare it to other costs... These are the views of our current owners and if they say insignificant then that's what it is. You can categorize free coach travel and subsided ticket costs in this as well, hence why we have such low ticket pricing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 16:06

Simmops
WoodleyRoyal
John Smith I think it's clear Club 1871 has hit rock bottom. They are out of ideas now and need to grow up and put these ridiculous fantasies of turning half the south stand at the Madejski into the Dortmund yellow wall to bed.

on the opposition back from the game thread we have

"AWetFlannel - I went tonight, we got outsung by Reading for most of the game. Bit annoying."

To be fair, If any away fans team outsing a home team fans who normally have at least 10x the amount of fans, there are issues. Regardless of clunge 1871, it should not happen

But it actually happens at numerous grounds. A few of reasons being that the away fans are compacted into one area, are usually allowed to stand throughout and have a high percentage of hardcore supporters who will sing and chant. That, in turn, encourages other usually 'non-vocals' to join in. Club 1871 goes a long way to recreating that environment with home supporters.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Mar 2020 11:26

RoyalBlue
Simmops
WoodleyRoyal
on the opposition back from the game thread we have

"AWetFlannel - I went tonight, we got outsung by Reading for most of the game. Bit annoying."

To be fair, If any away fans team outsing a home team fans who normally have at least 10x the amount of fans, there are issues. Regardless of clunge 1871, it should not happen

But it actually happens at numerous grounds. A few of reasons being that the away fans are compacted into one area, are usually allowed to stand throughout and have a high percentage of hardcore supporters who will sing and chant. That, in turn, encourages other usually 'non-vocals' to join in. Club 1871 goes a long way to recreating that environment with home supporters.

Longstanding Southbank and East stand chantstarter here and I absolutely agree with this especially at the MadStad.

Reserved seating totally screwed up the chanting atmosphere at Madstad as we could no longer gravitate towards each other and form a diehard core to counteract away fans. And away fans for reasons you mention especially at the Madstad with its acoustics, slightly lower ceiling at the ends favours away chanting more than home and we'd get outsung a lot as their compacted noise would reverberate off the low ceiling and the SE and SW corners onto the pitch.

I'm now too old to be a chant man sadly, but I have to say I am VERY IMPRESSED INDEED with what I see from Club 1871 and feel they absolutely do us proud. Are they as good as my generation at Elm Park and early days on the East Stand? Of course bloody not!!! :wink: But DEFINITELY the best thing I've seen since my day. Genius idea to put them in that part of the stand acoustically and having them all together. We seem to destroy away fans now like the good old days, which with modern stadium acoustics, plastics (people and seats!) , is not an easy feat thesedays. The demolition of Barnsley fans was a joy to behold, and immature as this sounds, the few troglodites who got wound up enough by it to try and climb across the netting had me laughing.

EXCELLENT JOB 1871 VERY PROUD OF YOU - take that from an old pro responsible for the destruction of many an away group over the years!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 05 Mar 2020 12:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup
RoyalBlue
Simmops

EXCELLENT JOB 1871 VERY PROUD OF YOU - take that from an old pro responsible for running away from many an away group over the years!

This - much improved the matchday experience for all. More atmosphere generated by £15K on tues night than at either games televised last night.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Mar 2020 12:14

SWLR
2 world wars, 1 world cup
RoyalBlue

This - much improved the matchday experience for all. More atmosphere generated by £15K on tues night than at either games televised last night.

Haha yeah we also ran away at times :oops: :D

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2020 12:18

Club 1871 were brilliant on Tuesday night - well done.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 10 Mar 2020 11:28

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Mar 2020 12:13

SWLR https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/from-club-to-club-1871--an-open-letter/

Pretty much spot on IMO. However, some fans will occasionally berate a misplaced pass or wayward shot from one of their team's players out of sheer spur of the moment frustration. That's different from giving individual players or the who team ongoing stick throughout a game/games.

It also takes the virtue of a saint not to occasionally gloat at opposition fans when your team scores, particularly if they've been constantly giving you/your team stick. That again is different from surging across in an 'attempt' (thank God the net and stewards are there to protect us!) to get at the opposition fans.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Mar 2020 12:16

RoyalBlue
SWLR https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/from-club-to-club-1871--an-open-letter/

Pretty much spot on IMO. However, some fans will occasionally berate a misplaced pass or wayward shot from one of their team's players out of sheer spur of the moment frustration. That's different from giving individual players or the who team ongoing stick throughout a game/games.

Shame that's exactly what Club1871 do

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Mar 2020 15:59

Needed saying.
I still think that if a group of older, wiser heads were to go and sit in 1871 and have words it would calm things down.
Are the idiots who are acting up going to read and understand the letter ?
Perhaps a copy needs to be handed to everyone going in Gate 10 on Saturday ?

One87One

by One87One » 14 Mar 2020 15:08

C1871, will you/the club consider season tickets next season being in their specified seat? This way you have an element of control of who sits where. Idiots playing up to the crowd can then be punished or moved by the club closer to the West Stand if need be.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Sep 2020 19:10

Club 1871 moving to the other side where the away fans are now when normality returns, good news can interact with Y26.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 19 Sep 2020 11:46

windermereROYAL Club 1871 moving to the other side where the away fans are now when normality returns, good news can interact with Y26.

Yup I saw this agree a good move although I imagine some in y26 won't like it. A few times last season a song would spread over the away fans and be picked up by east stand..let's hope this can happen more. You'd have thought when we can go back everyone will be up for being a bit more vocal anyway..hopefully..

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Sep 2020 15:00

Bigtimmeh
windermereROYAL Club 1871 moving to the other side where the away fans are now when normality returns, good news can interact with Y26.

Yup I saw this agree a good move although I imagine some in y26 won't like it. A few times last season a song would spread over the away fans and be picked up by east stand..let's hope this can happen more. You'd have thought when we can go back everyone will be up for being a bit more vocal anyway..hopefully..

In the midst of a pandemic with no fans being able to attend for 6 months yet Club 1871 still somehow manage to make it all about them. Narcissism of the highest order.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 03 Oct 2020 12:27

John Smith
Bigtimmeh

In the midst of a pandemic with no fans being able to attend for 6 months yet Club 1871 still somehow manage to make it all about them. Narcissism of the highest order.

Yeah you're right let's be all doom and gloom instead. Fans are never gonna go back all clubs below the prem will go bust and in 5 years time I'll be watching football on the PlayStation. That better?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Oct 2020 17:57

Bigtimmeh
John Smith
Bigtimmeh Yup I saw this agree a good move although I imagine some in y26 won't like it. A few times last season a song would spread over the away fans and be picked up by east stand..let's hope this can happen more. You'd have thought when we can go back everyone will be up for being a bit more vocal anyway..hopefully..

Yeah you're right let's be all doom and gloom instead. Fans are never gonna go back all clubs below the prem will go bust and in 5 years time I'll be watching football on the PlayStation. That better?

Why wait 5 years? You can already do that. Both BT and Sky are available to watch via Playstation.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Dec 2020 21:21

Conspicuous by their absence today. Assume this little experiment is over?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Dec 2020 21:16

Pepe the Horseman Conspicuous by their absence today. Assume this little experiment is over?

I'd almost forgotten about it! File under one of the few positives brought on by Covid

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Dec 2020 00:05

John Smith
Pepe the Horseman Conspicuous by their absence today. Assume this little experiment is over?

I'd almost forgotten about it! File under one of the few positives brought on by Covid

They`ll be back, file that under I couldn`t give a f*ck about your reply.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Dec 2020 12:10

Old Man Andrews
AthleticoSpizz and typical Kes and pals etc etc.

Bore off prick. Welcome to ignore.

This aged well Spizz :lol:

2100 posts