Financial Fair Play

399 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Financial Fair Play

by Maneki Neko » 28 Apr 2019 13:46

Snowflake Royal
Hound thats pretty much what I'm expecting. Oiveira to sign, Baker on a season loan with a perm option at the end, Martinez could become an option on loan if he doesn't impress Arsenal in pre-season possibly

Reckon someone a bit better than us will sign up Miazga permanently. Ejaria possibly, but again reckon he might go to a WBA type team. Eza maybe if he impresses Gomes in the next month or so, and depending on the sort of wage he wants

Nova hopefully given a chance to impress and a decision made on him or Bod to stay. Think they'd happily shift out Baldock, but reckon he is on big wages, making that difficult

Yeah.

I'd keep Gunter, unless Watson or Howe is looking up to it.

Swift going could easily fund a player or two and reduce the black hole.

I think McCleary has shown himself worth another year.

More important to get mcleary/gunts off the wage bill if they're only going to be back up, which is likely
Imo

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Apr 2019 15:13

I'm inclined to think that anyone in the Top 10 earners who isn't a regular starter when fit needs to be moved on.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2019 15:22

From Despair To Where? I'm inclined to think that anyone in the Top 10 earners who isn't a regular starter when fit needs to be moved on.

You'd certainly hope to spend most money on the most effective players. There'd need to be a pretty good reason for paying a back up player more than the guy starting.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Apr 2019 15:47

Nameless
From Despair To Where? I'm inclined to think that anyone in the Top 10 earners who isn't a regular starter when fit needs to be moved on.

You'd certainly hope to spend most money on the most effective players. There'd need to be a pretty good reason for paying a back up player more than the guy starting.

Only reason is if you can't find a better player to fill that position without paying a fee. i.e., a player you already own on 20K a week costs less than a player for 3mill on 12.5K a week.

Long term, option 2 would be better - but for FFP etc

Edit: - I'm assuming a 3 year contract btw, you spread the fee over the length of the contract for FFP.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Apr 2019 15:54

Also, someone like Gunter, who has been here a while but is past his peak would possibly be on more than a better player signed in leaner times

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Apr 2019 16:13

From Despair To Where? Also, someone like Gunter, who has been here a while but is past his peak would possibly be on more than a better player signed in leaner times

He renewed just after the play-off season, didn't he? If so I expect his salary would reflect that season (and also the fact that Boro wanted him at the time)

I think Gunter is likely to leave, as he'll want more football than he is getting - but I'd say McCleary is likely to stay around. So he's the one where the fact that he's on higher salary may be only a factor, when you consider how much it would cost to get in a replacement.

I didn't like the O Shea signing, I don't think we should be getting people in (or retaining them) purely based on dressing-room influence. If you want a coach, get a coach.

But there's no point getting rid of players for the sake of it, if it will actually cost you more to get an equivalent.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2019 16:25

muirinho
Nameless

Only reason is if you can't find a better player to fill that position without paying a fee. i.e., a player you already own on 20K a week costs less than a player for 3mill on 12.5K a week.

Edit: - I'm assuming a 3 year contract btw, you spread the fee over the length of the contract for FFP.

The other reason is one of your 'cheap' players outperforms one of your 'expensive' ones - Moore misses a game , McIntyre comes in and plays so well Moore can't get back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2019 17:04

muirinho
Nameless

Also you've got to have someone willing to take them.

Player who is adequate on £20k a week is better than a player who is adequate on £12.5k a week whilst paying half of the outgoing player's wages just to shift them for their final year.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Apr 2019 18:56

McCleary has to be the most frustrating player to watch these days. If he was 10 years younger you’d think you’ve got a decent talent on your hands and he’s quite exciting, just lacks the end product but that will come.

Fact is we’ve seen him at his peak and he’s a shell of that. He does 90% of the stuff still quite well but as soon as he’s in a dangerous area is just oxf*rd hopeless. Not really sure I’d want him as a squad player tbh i think I’d rather some of the younger guys get an opportunity.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 28 Apr 2019 19:21

Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal
Hound thats pretty much what I'm expecting. Oiveira to sign, Baker on a season loan with a perm option at the end, Martinez could become an option on loan if he doesn't impress Arsenal in pre-season possibly

Reckon someone a bit better than us will sign up Miazga permanently. Ejaria possibly, but again reckon he might go to a WBA type team. Eza maybe if he impresses Gomes in the next month or so, and depending on the sort of wage he wants

Nova hopefully given a chance to impress and a decision made on him or Bod to stay. Think they'd happily shift out Baldock, but reckon he is on big wages, making that difficult

Yeah.

I'd keep Gunter, unless Watson or Howe is looking up to it.

Swift going could easily fund a player or two and reduce the black hole.

I think McCleary has shown himself worth another year.

More important to get mcleary/gunts off the wage bill if they're only going to be back up, which is likely
Imo

Need Gunter Mcleary Mcshane Oshea Baldock Mehyler Aluko Kelly to go they are not in the managers plans we would have been relegated with these playing cannot find any reason to keep them.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 May 2019 10:17

Reading's players not paid in full as club's Chinese owners wait for funds to be transferred from Hong Kong. More to follow @MailSport

:shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 10:22

Reading blame administrative glitch due to Bank Holiday in Hong Kong and promise wages will be paid within 24 hours

Good bit of scaremongering right there. Total non-story.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 10:34

Hendo Reading blame administrative glitch due to Bank Holiday in Hong Kong and promise wages will be paid within 24 hours

Yeah because the club would come out and say they have no money, wouldn't they..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 10:56

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Reading blame administrative glitch due to Bank Holiday in Hong Kong and promise wages will be paid within 24 hours

Yeah because the club would come out and say they have no money, wouldn't they..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The owners have money :|

They just spend a wedge on the new training ground. If this is anything more than a non-story, I will be astounded.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 May 2019 10:57

A bit concerning if the club doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay one month's wages . . .

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 11:12

Elm Park Kid A bit concerning if the club doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay one month's wages . . .

Yeah this is my concern. As Hendo says I know they have money but its a worry that there isn't enough kept here to pay the players.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 May 2019 11:15

Old Man Andrews
Elm Park Kid A bit concerning if the club doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay one month's wages . . .

Yeah this is my concern. As Hendo says I know they have money but its a worry that there isn't enough kept here to pay the players.

Although I guess that rich people never want to have money just sitting around doing 'nothing' . . . .

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 May 2019 11:17

muirinho
From Despair To Where? Also, someone like Gunter, who has been here a while but is past his peak would possibly be on more than a better player signed in leaner times

He renewed just after the play-off season, didn't he? If so I expect his salary would reflect that season (and also the fact that Boro wanted him at the time)

I think Gunter is likely to leave, as he'll want more football than he is getting - but I'd say McCleary is likely to stay around. So he's the one where the fact that he's on higher salary may be only a factor, when you consider how much it would cost to get in a replacement.

I didn't like the O Shea signing, I don't think we should be getting people in (or retaining them) purely based on dressing-room influence. If you want a coach, get a coach.

But there's no point getting rid of players for the sake of it, if it will actually cost you more to get an equivalent.

players like gunts and mcleary can still attract a fee and are on very big parachute payment/successful championship team wages
FFP dictates that we need to get those wages off the bill and anyone who comes in will categorically not be on those wages.
and it doesn't matter about replacement cost if realistically these players aren't going to play much next season.

its about the financial outlay:what they will contribute ratio, rather than just replacement cost.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 01 May 2019 11:29

Elm Park Kid
Old Man Andrews

Although I guess that rich people never want to have money just sitting around doing 'nothing' . . . .

Absolutely. I certainly wouldn't be leaving 500k, or whatever one months wages may be, sitting in a British bank account at the moment given current interest rates.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2019 12:08

In order to get a better idea of whether the wage thing is an issue we’d need to know what usually happens happenseach month. If every month there is a transfer from an HK account to a UK account on the day before wages are due then the ‘admin error’ seems plausible although you’d think details of HK public holidays are public domain info and could have been planned for ?
Unfortunately we’re not going to get that info so we’ll have to hope it is just a glitch. I wonder if STAR might be able to get assurances from the club that the players won’t be going on strike ?

399 posts