STs for season 2019/2020

336 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: STs for season 2019/2020

by Hendo » 22 May 2019 14:33

Nameless REnewed today.
Apparently sales are quite well up on similar time last year although still a fair few to go !

Would expect a lot of people to wait until after payday to renew.

I just haven't gotten round to it yet and the renewal date isn't until July anyway, so plenty of time yet.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2019 15:08

muirinho
Green
tmesis If you are moving huge amounts of data, yes.

If you are just setting up contact details and pointing to an old account reference, no.

You'd be amazed tmesis, you'd be amazed. I've seen things from the trenches you wouldn't believe. Some proper horror stories with career changing injuries.

Things I have learnt from the software development trenches
(1) Clients are idiots
(2) Project managers are idiots
(3) Migration is always shit,
(4) It's never obvious how badly shit the migration is until it's too late
(5) Clients and project managers think migration should be straightforward. See points (1) and (2)
(6) Moving away from migration, and away from meeting clients = best career moves ever. Sadly haven't worked out how to ditch the PMs yet.

As a former IT pm I learned all techies lie about how quickly a job can be done and how close they are to completion. They also tend to build things how they think they should be built rather than how the spec says or what the business wants. They also completely ignore the fact that their fat salary is being paid for by the client, so a little respect would not go amiss.
Managed to deliver a few projects despite the best efforts of rogue developers.
Getting out of IT completely was best career move ever. Despite earning about 90% less I now deal with inanimate objects and real people in a stress free, go home and forget it environment. Bliss !

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 May 2019 16:35

Set up my royals account easily enough but it took me ages to work out hoe to stick my member card on it, eventually realising you had to reinput "title" before being able to get to the actual ticket bit!

FWIW there's 2 paydays before the renewal deadline so I'll leave it until then thanks

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 May 2019 20:04

Silver Fox FWIW there's 2 paydays before the renewal deadline so I'll leave it until then thanks

Thanks for the update. I can get on with the rest of my week now.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 May 2019 21:52

Nameless
muirinho
Green You'd be amazed tmesis, you'd be amazed. I've seen things from the trenches you wouldn't believe. Some proper horror stories with career changing injuries.

(1) Clients are idiots
(5) Clients and project managers think migration should be straightforward. See points (1) and (2)
(6) Moving away from migration, and away from meeting clients = best career moves ever. Sadly haven't worked out how to ditch the PMs yet.

As a former IT pm I learned all techies lie about how quickly a job can be done and how close they are to completion. They also tend to build things how they think they should be built rather than how the spec says or what the business wants. They also completely ignore the fact that their fat salary is being paid for by the client, so a little respect would not go amiss.
Getting out of IT completely was best career move ever. Despite earning about 90% less I now deal with inanimate objects and real people in a stress free, go home and forget it environment. Bliss !

As a PM wasn’t it your job to manage that kind of thing? Blaming everyone around you while taking credit for delivery isn’t a great look. Where was your respect?

But best wishes with the basket weaving. TBF it sounds like a great gig as long as you can live on it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 May 2019 21:56

Green
Nameless
muirinho
(1) Clients are idiots

As a PM wasn’t it your job to manage that kind of thing? Blaming everyone around you while taking credit for delivery isn’t a great look. Where was your respect?

But best wishes with the basket weaving. TBF it sounds like a great gig as long as you can live on it.

That’s very bitchy Green old bean.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 May 2019 21:59

He sounds like a former colleague of mine. Maybe he is :)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2019 09:10

Green
Nameless
muirinho
(1) Clients are idiots

Oddly the fact that projects got delivered suggests that management of the stroppy developers did take place !
Good developers get respect, even the stroppy ones usually end up producing some fine software but they need plenty of hand holding.
You seem to be very bitter about something, presumably some PM has clipped your wings and told you to stop playing with technology and just get on and do what you have been asked to do by the time you said you would. It’s tough coming into the real world sometimes.....
Basket weaving ? Not my sort of thing. Fortunate to be doing something a little more cultural these days but the days of stupid money doing City based IT work are long gone, but little missed. More to life than cash !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 May 2019 10:43

Arguably one of the most dull thread deraillings we’ve had on here and that’s no mean feat.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2019 12:05

CountryRoyal Arguably one of the most dull thread deraillings we’ve had on here and that’s no mean feat.

derailing.

No double l

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 May 2019 12:28

Nameless
CountryRoyal Arguably one of the most dull thread deraillings we’ve had on here and that’s no mean feat.

derailing.

No double l

Well whilst we’re being pedantic, you forgot the full stop after “no double I”. :P

200 Miles

by 200 Miles » 24 May 2019 14:14

A good feature of the new system is being able to see available seats, and it updating immediately. Interesting to see the East stand emptying as STs move

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 May 2019 08:24

bracknell_lad Hey. I am a spurs fan (dont shoot me) but im gonna get a Reading season ticket next season with my pals who support Reading since i can barely get to spurs games nowdays. Is the 1871 club the best place to stand for atmosphere? it seemed bery good the times ive been this season
Just quoting this as it's been sat in the waiting to approve queue since 09/05/19 so I doubt anyone will go back and see it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jun 2019 11:38

Renewed via V12 Finance, very easy.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 26 Jun 2019 13:30

Forbury Lion
bracknell_lad Hey. I am a spurs fan (dont shoot me) but im gonna get a Reading season ticket next season with my pals who support Reading since i can barely get to spurs games nowdays. Is the 1871 club the best place to stand for atmosphere? it seemed bery good the times ive been this season
Just quoting this as it's been sat in the waiting to approve queue since 09/05/19 so I doubt anyone will go back and see it.

Good on him. If he doesn't see the replies, maybe you can PM him Mr Moderator.

ST's in the South are selling very well. There wont be a great deal remaining for gen. sale!

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jun 2019 20:32

After refunding my forest green season ticket, got one in club 1871. Very happy!!!!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jun 2019 20:46

Wallsy
Forbury Lion

Good on him. If he doesn't see the replies, maybe you can PM him Mr Moderator.

ST's in the South are selling very well. There wont be a great deal remaining for gen. sale!

How many in the South Stand so far? 1000 plus?

Renewed in the ED last week.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jul 2019 11:59

I have officially not renewed. First time I have not had a ST in many years

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Jul 2019 18:03

Why?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jul 2019 22:27

Winston Biscuit I have officially not renewed. First time I have not had a ST in many years

It’s been a slog in recent years hasn’t it. I feel more positive about this season though so was happy to renew.

336 posts