Reading's ground staff salary

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading's ground staff salary

by Greatwesternline » 02 Jul 2019 11:15

I'm not sure "we are first and foremost a community club" and "we pay the lowest possible wage allowed" are consistent.

If you care about the community first and foremost, you might for optics, pay 1 /hr more than the legal minimum, to show you care about the community.

If they only work 3 hours on matchday as people are claiming, then paying £1 extra per hour would cost, 3 x 24 = £72 a year for this role.

Talk about pennywise pound foolish.

Pay the living wage, not the minimum wage, if you want to claim you are all about the community.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jul 2019 12:15

Greatwesternline I'm not sure "we are first and foremost a community club" and "we pay the lowest possible wage allowed" are consistent.

If you care about the community first and foremost, you might for optics, pay 1 /hr more than the legal minimum, to show you care about the community.

If they only work 3 hours on matchday as people are claiming, then paying £1 extra per hour would cost, 3 x 24 = £72 a year for this role.

Pay the living wage, not the minimum wage, if you want to claim you are all about the community.

The job advert says you work 5 hours for w/e games and 4 hours for evenings.
It seems crazy to be arguing over whether paying someone a few pounds extra over the course of a year makes us a Community club or not. These aren't jobs people do to put food in their kid's mouths. £40 a pop for a fairly cushy pocket money job is hardly exploitation, especially when it can save you £350 because you don't need a ST to see games.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 Jul 2019 13:12

Nameless
Greatwesternline I'm not sure "we are first and foremost a community club" and "we pay the lowest possible wage allowed" are consistent.

It seems crazy to be arguing over whether paying someone a few pounds extra over the course of a year makes us a Community club or not. These aren't jobs people do to put food in their kid's mouths. £40 a pop for a fairly cushy pocket money job is hardly exploitation, especially when it can save you £350 because you don't need a ST to see games.

I on the other hand think its crazy to be arguing over a few pounds that the club saves, when it could show it is an employer that pays above the minimum wage, like for example, the living wage.

They pay other players tens of thousands a week. It's bad PR. They're a business in the business of doing good PR in their local community. Do you agree in principle with the concept of the living wage? If not i suppose this whole thread goes over your head.

The living wage campaign exists to pay people a good wage, not the bare minimum allowed for by law. Lots of small local businesses that don't have a Chinese billionaire bankrolling them can and do pay lightly more than the legal minimum, because it is good PR, and a good way to treat your employees. That's the end of it really.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jul 2019 14:52

Greatwesternline
Nameless

I on the other hand think its crazy to be arguing over a few pounds that the club saves, when it could show it is an employer that pays above the minimum wage, like for example, the living wage.

They pay other players tens of thousands a week. It's bad PR. They're a business in the business of doing good PR in their local community. Do you agree in principle with the concept of the living wage? If not i suppose this whole thread goes over your head.

The living wage campaign exists to pay people a good wage, not the bare minimum allowed for by law. Lots of small local businesses that don't have a Chinese billionaire bankrolling them can and do pay lightly more than the legal minimum, because it is good PR, and a good way to treat your employees. That's the end of it really.

'goes over my head' - patronising so and so !
You've just not taken on board what these jobs are have you ?
They are a bit of casual labouring people take on as a way of earning some beer money and getting in to games for nothing.
Suggest you maybe find a more worthy cause for your campaigning. There are people in Reading slogging their guts out for long hours in real jobs and getting paid less than the minimum wage. Go argue for them.....

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 Jul 2019 15:05

Nameless
Greatwesternline
Nameless

'goes over my head' - patronising so and so !
You've just not taken on board what these jobs are have you ?
They are a bit of casual labouring people take on as a way of earning some beer money and getting in to games for nothing.
Suggest you maybe find a more worthy cause for your campaigning. There are people in Reading slogging their guts out for long hours in real jobs and getting paid less than the minimum wage. Go argue for them.....

I'm merely saying the arguments pro and against paying a living wage versus paying the legal minimum wage are well rehearsed. I'm not a member of any other businesses in Reading, and most other businesses in Reading dont pretend to be at the heart of the community, and they are profit maximising for their owner. In theory, Reading Football Club's aim is to maximise trophy wins, not profit.

I don't really care about the nature of the work, Reading need workers, and they're ding it s on the cheap as possible. For a while, i used to tweet companies asking them if they paid the minimum wage, i even set up a twitter account to do it. I did about a thousand companies in the end, but you dont get many replies. So i stopped. True story.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2019 15:35

I'd do it for free if it meant I didn't have to pay for a season ticket, got a parking permit and some training gear.

If the club are reading this, let me know, I've already bought my ST, but would happy to be refunded the amount :wink: