No Programmes this season

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: No Programmes this season

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Aug 2021 13:39

I guess most people don't buy one, but in the clubs 150th year? Come on. It's just giving people another reason not to attend and further confirmation that fans don't exist in the club's eyes anymore. Just customers.

The online programme has become a bit of a point of contention in the non-league world in the last few years. One thing that is noticeable on the whole is that the clubs that continue with paper programmes seem to genuinely care about the fan experience. It shows in other aspects of the matchday experience like Food, Drink, Car Parking and general welcome.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2021 17:07

Tony Le Mesmer I guess most people don't buy one, but in the clubs 150th year? Come on. It's just giving people another reason not to attend and further confirmation that fans don't exist in the club's eyes anymore. Just customers.

The online programme has become a bit of a point of contention in the non-league world in the last few years. One thing that is noticeable on the whole is that the clubs that continue with paper programmes seem to genuinely care about the fan experience. It shows in other aspects of the matchday experience like Food, Drink, Car Parking and general welcome.

Agree with this, absolutely detest “books” online, an article yes but just hate kindles and not having a proper book or publication for things like this.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Aug 2021 21:21

I would guess with size of programmes these days, the cost of producing them probably far outweighs any money they make from them.

The money saving from producing them online probably doesn't save a massive amount though overall. Yes you save on printing costs, but you also have to give them away for free.

Personally I'd rather have a smaller and cheaper programme. Despite the more recent ones having extra content, I found I didn't read them as much, and I'd pretty much stopped buying them as a result.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Aug 2021 21:40

tmesis I would guess with size of programmes these days, the cost of producing them probably far outweighs any money they make from them.

The money saving from producing them online probably doesn't save a massive amount though overall. Yes you save on printing costs, but you also have to give them away for free.

Personally I'd rather have a smaller and cheaper programme. Despite the more recent ones having extra content, I found I didn't read them as much, and I'd pretty much stopped buying them as a result.

If I’m honest I don’t really read the programmes these days. I often look at the opposition line up during the game to see who is who but when I get home the programme ends up in the sock drawer with many stuck up in my attic from years gone by. There will be a time in retirement when I’m sure I will dig them out and relive memories. It’s the way of things I guess. I’m in the minority that buy them.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Aug 2021 07:50

I buy a programme for every stadium I go to…I look back over old ones. For me there’s a sentimental aspect to them, but appreciate that’s an opinion. It’s a great shame they are doing away with them…digital is not the same.

Tbf though…for me, clubs don’t need to produce 60-80 pages…could be condensed to say 20. Reduce the cost to £1.50-2, and sales might increase. Would reduce the need for staff to produce them. Might not be anymore profitable though?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Aug 2021 09:47

Not bought one in years, but surely with the amount of adverts in them that must cover the cost of printing?

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 12 Aug 2021 09:55

No programmes this season and the position is not changing anytime soon

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2021 10:03

mikey0406 No programmes this season and the position is not changing anytime soon

Many have said this in the thread. We are looking for offical confirmation. Do you have any?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 12 Aug 2021 13:17

MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES
Unfortunately, we will not be producing a matchday programme for the 2021-22 season.

The time, effort and expense of producing a publication for every home match each season should not be underestimated and, as digital formats of communication have rapidly become more expansive, the role of the programme has diminished – matchday sales being indicative of this shift in recent seasons.

We continue to explore viable opportunities for a printed form of communication with our supporters and vitally gauge the potential demand for a monthly or quarterly magazine for Royals fans.

However, we are also aiming to increase our focus on the provision of App-exclusive content for our fans throughout 2021-22.

Our newly-launched App is available for iOS from the App Store and for Android from Google Play. It’s your handy companion for when you’re out and about – allowing direct access to all of our news, video content, as well as the option to receive push notifications in order to receive breaking news as soon as it drops, directly from the club.

And it is free!

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/What-to-know-before-you-go-/

Wallington Royal

by Wallington Royal » 12 Aug 2021 13:44

RG30
MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES
Unfortunately, we will not be producing a matchday programme for the 2021-22 season.

The time, effort and expense of producing a publication for every home match each season should not be underestimated and, as digital formats of communication have rapidly become more expansive, the role of the programme has diminished – matchday sales being indicative of this shift in recent seasons.

We continue to explore viable opportunities for a printed form of communication with our supporters and vitally gauge the potential demand for a monthly or quarterly magazine for Royals fans.

However, we are also aiming to increase our focus on the provision of App-exclusive content for our fans throughout 2021-22.I

Our newly-launched App is available for iOS from the App Store and for Android from Google Play. It’s your handy companion for when you’re out and about – allowing direct access to all of our news, video content, as well as the option to receive push notifications in order to receive breaking news as soon as it drops, directly from the club.

And it is free!

I know I am old school and In my 50’s, I find this very disappointing and sad from my point of view, part of the MatchDayInfo experience for a long time….. shame

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2021 13:53

Wallington Royal
RG30
MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES

However, we are also aiming to increase our focus on the provision of App-exclusive content for our fans throughout 2021-22.I

And it is free!

I know I am old school and In my 50’s, I find this very disappointing and sad from my point of view, part of the MatchDayInfo experience for a long time….. shame

That is a shame. Hopefully the club do a anniversary book or something. Would quite happily pay £20/£30 for a nice glossy coffee table book.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Aug 2021 15:38

Wallington Royal
RG30
MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES

And it is free!

You could also make a very valid case that this is hugely prejudice against more Senior football supporters. But i guess thats reflected in a lot of things these days.

Ive just been told that i will need a smart phone and app to access my gym going forward. Yet when i enter, there will be a sign telling me not to use my phone whilst in the gym. Get away.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2021 15:51

Am a bit surprised they have done them for this long ! Not bought one for years having done so religiously since I started going to games. There simply stopped being a purpose to them.
The book they have done for the 150th is a better memento than a programme so quite happy with that.
Suspect the sales have been such that there just is no point in spending time and money on them any more.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Aug 2021 16:23

Rubbish food choices, no programmes, changed the stadium name, rubbish team…

…but a glorious away shirt!

Not really a good direction we’re heading in is it.

A digital copy is not the same…it’s not tangible and not something you keep really. More sustainable I suppose but no doubt a chance to cut more heads etc

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Aug 2021 19:01

That's even more crap than I thought. I thought the programme going online was bad enough, but it sounds like they've ditched it completely.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Aug 2021 12:36

Whilst this was probably likely to happen at some point, it seems a really bizarre decision to take in our 150th year when the opportunity to 'exploit' history and sentimentality is likely to be at its highest point.

Yes, it takes time and effort to produce but I'm sure there are countless Media Studies students/graduates who would have been happy to get that as a placement/work experience.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Aug 2021 12:45

Programmes in my opinion is old hat and like everything we are having to move with the times.

Programmes only good for the managers comments and thats online and of course previous details of matches and your opponents etc which is again online.

Demands clearly dwindling.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Aug 2021 13:24

Nameless Am a bit surprised they have done them for this long ! Not bought one for years having done so religiously since I started going to games. There simply stopped being a purpose to them.
The book they have done for the 150th is a better memento than a programme so quite happy with that.
Suspect the sales have been such that there just is no point in spending time and money on them any more.

Where are you seeing the book? Can't see any online under the anniversary section.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Aug 2021 14:03

Jagermesiter1871
Nameless Am a bit surprised they have done them for this long ! Not bought one for years having done so religiously since I started going to games. There simply stopped being a purpose to them.

Where are you seeing the book? Can't see any online under the anniversary section.

Please advise, what anniversary book, have I missed something somewhere?

Re. Programme, it’s a poor decision. Should have done it for this season with the 150 celebs this year and gone out on a high.

Indicative though of this dreadful society where everything is online and on an app - just because you can with technology doesn’t mean you should.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Aug 2021 14:18

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871

Please advise, what anniversary book, have I missed something somewhere?

Re. Programme, it’s a poor decision. Should have done it for this season with the 150 celebs this year and gone out on a high.

Indicative though of this dreadful society where everything is online and on an app - just because you can with technology doesn’t mean you should.

The anniversary book is the one that was received with Season Tickets - I assume. It was a limited print for those who secured their STs early.