by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Oct 2022 09:17

I like your thinking Polli

JR

Re: Catering outside Stadium

by JR » 28 Oct 2022 09:59

St Pauli
JR
RoyalBlue
'Better than they have been for years (and years)' ? You weren't a fan of the excellent and varied, good value offering from Blue Collar then?

I went to Blue Collar Corner for the first time before the game on Saturday - it was fantastic.

A great pint of craft beer, two really tasty bao buns, fair prices and a great outdoor seating environment. Surprisingly no queue for the bus from town either, so probably did all that in the same time I’d have queued for a beer and a pizza at the mad stad.

So if you can originate in town I’d really recommend it.

Is there stadium bus pick up near blue collar corner, or did you have to walk to the station?

Only from the station (outside Greyfriar) but that's only a 5 minute stroll.

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 28 Oct 2022 10:41

Not the worst walk in the world to get to Mad Stad after grabbing grub at Blue Collar. Pick up the canal side footpath. The 2nd mile is alongside A33 but saves hassle with buses. Repeat journey on way back, although will be more fun in the dark now:)

To get to game if you left Blue Collar by 2pm you should make it to game in time.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Oct 2022 13:31

maffff
Brogue
maffff
I've just spotted and will add to the list for the upcoming Ops meeting. Along with the Guinness question.

I looked at the new STAR board a few weeks back and thought it was you who was newly elected. Then today I Was reading your tweets about flares and that confirmed my thinking and your new position on the STAR board. Congrats.

Thanks Brogue, appreciate it mate :)

Hey Brogue,

This was discussed with the club as promised. I see STAR liaison have now posted the minutes - para 25 refers.

https://star-reading.org/news/star-octo ... reading-fc

The club covered logistical issues around providing Guinness and with time available it's not possible to do justice to pouring it properly, plus holds up queues.

There are no plans at this stage to offer Guinness in either the fanzone or the concourse, but jazz café does continue to offer it.

Levy (caterers) are keen to hear feedback from STAR members and the wider fanbase on both the catering and drinks available, so please do provide feedback through the general email account - these do get passed on. In parallel we will look at other opportunities to ensure levy are hearing views as we receive them and potentially through other avenues we could set up.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Oct 2022 19:46

Hmmm, I”m calling bs, Cumpast (or whoever it was), successfully managed to serve-up over 18000 pints of Guinness on St Paddies Day (London Irish match) some years back.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Nov 2022 09:35

AthleticoSpizz Hmmm, I”m calling bs, Cumpast (or whoever it was), successfully managed to serve-up over 18000 pints of Guinness on St Paddies Day (London Irish match) some years back.

Very different to cater for a one off event with known very high demand than for a likely tiny number of pints at a normal football match. They had devices for the rugby that poured 16 pints simultaneously and dedicated Guinness bars and experienced bar staff. The Paddy’s Day match also runs for about 9 hours....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Nov 2022 09:51

Yes, but they also served guinness conventionally for crowds of a few thousand in low key games.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Nov 2022 10:32

AthleticoSpizz Yes, but they also served guinness conventionally for crowds of a few thousand in low key games.

Yes, but that wasn’t your point !

Suspect demand was way higher for a LI game, and IIRC Guinness was a sponsor so probably better margin and support with equipment.
I guess the answer is for them to keep a couple of cans under the counter for you....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Nov 2022 10:48

maffff
maffff
Brogue
I looked at the new STAR board a few weeks back and thought it was you who was newly elected. Then today I Was reading your tweets about flares and that confirmed my thinking and your new position on the STAR board. Congrats.

Thanks Brogue, appreciate it mate :)

Hey Brogue,

This was discussed with the club as promised. I see STAR liaison have now posted the minutes - para 25 refers.

https://star-reading.org/news/star-octo ... reading-fc

The club covered logistical issues around providing Guinness and with time available it's not possible to do justice to pouring it properly, plus holds up queues.

There are no plans at this stage to offer Guinness in either the fanzone or the concourse, but jazz café does continue to offer it.

Levy (caterers) are keen to hear feedback from STAR members and the wider fanbase on both the catering and drinks available, so please do provide feedback through the general email account - these do get passed on. In parallel we will look at other opportunities to ensure levy are hearing views as we receive them and potentially through other avenues we could set up.

Interesting to see the mention of Levy. I see they're actually a fully owned subsidiary of Compass and have been partners with the club since 1998. So different name being used but no other real change.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one to think they have an awful long way to go before they live up to the big boasts on their website!

https://levy.co.uk/what-we-do/

Interestingly, for other clubs that Levy cater for there are some really nice pictures of their product and service offering. There is nothing at all on the page for Reading FC. Maybe they're too embarrassed to show what it's like!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 01 Nov 2022 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Nov 2022 13:00

Nameless
AthleticoSpizz Yes, but they also served guinness conventionally for crowds of a few thousand in low key games.

Yes, but that wasn’t your point !

Suspect demand was way higher for a LI game, and IIRC Guinness was a sponsor so probably better margin and support with equipment.
I guess the answer is for them to keep a couple of cans under the counter for you....
admittedly, there was no need for the half time exodus to the bar…you could drink all game.
As for the ‘can’ comment…I actually was going to suggest that, or its equivalent.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jan 2023 22:12

Here's your chance to speak to the caterers directly: https://twitter.com/STARReading/status/ ... E1Cvw&s=19

1st March @ 330pm
SCL Stadium

STAR have arranged a meeting with the General Manager of Levy who will have the current retail range of food available for tasting and feedback.

So we need volunteers who have strong feelings about the matchday catering options/quality to attend.
This is a subject regularly asked for us to raise with the club, so we're keen to make the most of this opportunity.
Please drop us a DM if you'd like to take part.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Jan 2023 10:22

maffff Here's your chance to speak to the caterers directly: https://twitter.com/STARReading/status/ ... E1Cvw&s=19

1st March @ 330pm
SCL Stadium

STAR have arranged a meeting with the General Manager of Levy who will have the current retail range of food available for tasting and feedback.

So we need volunteers who have strong feelings about the matchday catering options/quality to attend.
This is a subject regularly asked for us to raise with the club, so we're keen to make the most of this opportunity.

perhaps one of the questions could be around the food hygiene certificates

Edit: actually thats a bit outdated there was a new inspection last year which is rating of 2 - which is still piss poor
https://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en ... um-Reading

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 31 Jan 2023 15:52

Brogue
maffff Here's your chance to speak to the caterers directly: https://twitter.com/STARReading/status/ ... E1Cvw&s=19

1st March @ 330pm
SCL Stadium

Edit: actually thats a bit outdated there was a new inspection last year which is rating of 2 - which is still piss poor

Really went to town with the major improvements then.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 31 Jan 2023 16:00

Brogue

1st March @ 330pm
SCL Stadium

Really went to town on the improvements then!

Incidentally the prawn sarnie brigade get the benefit of a 5 star rating

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 31 Jan 2023 16:02

1st March @ 330pm
SCL Stadium

This will probably be the only time that the full range of food will be available. There is always stuff not available on match days - not as though we are getting unexpectedly large crowds currently.